7.8 version and translation:translations folder

7.8 version and translation:translations folder

Jerome Mirc
Hi,

Using the new 7.8 version (hippo go green), I found that all hippo translation:translations folders are empty. I don't know if it is a bug or a new feature.

If it is a new feature, I would like to know for a specific folder how can I get the translated folders using JCR.

Thanks for your answer

Jerome

Re: 7.8 version and translation:translations folder

Ard
Hey Jerome,

On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 6:45 PM, Jerome Mirc <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Using the new 7.8 version (hippo go green), I found that all hippo
> translation:translations folders are empty. I don't know if it is a bug or a
> new feature.

It is part of getting rid of some parts that were not too successful
with hindsight :)

> If it is a new feature, I would like to know for a specific folder how can I
> get the translated folders using JCR.

Well, it is actually disabling an existing feature, so I cannot call
it a new feature. You can still get the translations being provided if
you include a deprecated repository jar...which is of course not
desirable because we deprecated it with a reason :)

I'll write a documentation page about it right away and post the link
to this thread later.

> Thanks for your answer

...thanks for your question, it is as usual spot on (and earlier than
expected :-)

Regards Ard

> Jerome

Re: 7.8 version and translation:translations folder

Ard
Hello all,

I've written the documentation how to get hold of the available
translations if you don't rely on CMS or HST HippoItem code but
directly on JCR. See [1]. The documentation still needs to be reviewed
so might have some typos.

@Jerome : I hope the 'Rationale for deprecating the
hippotranslation:translation provider' is helpful for you as I already
saw your check in in your sandbox code to get hold of the
translations, so you already figured out yourself so it seems...hope
my documentation is not in vain... :-)

Regards Ard

[1] http://www.onehippo.org/7_8/library/concepts/translations/hippotranslation-translation-virtual-provider-deprecated.html

On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 5:15 PM, Ard Schrijvers
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey Jerome,
>
> On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 6:45 PM, Jerome Mirc <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Using the new 7.8 version (hippo go green), I found that all hippo
>> translation:translations folders are empty. I don't know if it is a bug or a
>> new feature.
>
> It is part of getting rid of some parts that were not too successful
> with hindsight :)
>

>> If it is a new feature, I would like to know for a specific folder how can I
>> get the translated folders using JCR.
>
> Well, it is actually disabling an existing feature, so I cannot call
> it a new feature. You can still get the translations being provided if
> you include a deprecated repository jar...which is of course not
> desirable because we deprecated it with a reason :)
>
> I'll write a documentation page about it right away and post the link
> to this thread later.
>

>> Thanks for your answer
>
> ...thanks for your question, it is as usual spot on (and earlier than
> expected :-)
>
> Regards Ard
>

>> Jerome

Re: 7.8 version and translation:translations folder

Jerome Mirc-2
Thanks Ard for the link.

One of the goal for the new 7.8 is to improve the entire performance and this change is part of the improvement.

Jérôme.

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 12:56 PM, Jerome Mirc <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks Ard for the link.
>
> One of the goal for the new 7.8 is to improve the entire performance and
> this change is part of the improvement.

Is this a question or a remark? I am not sure whether you expect an answer :)

Ard

> Jérôme.
>

> On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 2:37 PM, Ard Schrijvers <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I've written the documentation how to get hold of the available
>> translations if you don't rely on CMS or HST HippoItem code but
>> directly on JCR. See [1]. The documentation still needs to be reviewed
>> so might have some typos.
>>
>> @Jerome : I hope the 'Rationale for deprecating the
>> hippotranslation:translation provider' is helpful for you as I already
>> saw your check in in your sandbox code to get hold of the
>> translations, so you already figured out yourself so it seems...hope
>> my documentation is not in vain... :-)
>>
>> Regards Ard
>>
>> [1]
>> http://www.onehippo.org/7_8/library/concepts/translations/hippotranslation-translation-virtual-provider-deprecated.html
>>
>> On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 5:15 PM, Ard Schrijvers
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hey Jerome,

>> > It is part of getting rid of some parts that were not too successful
>> > with hindsight :)

>> > Well, it is actually disabling an existing feature, so I cannot call
>> > it a new feature. You can still get the translations being provided if
>> > you include a deprecated repository jar...which is of course not
>> > desirable because we deprecated it with a reason :)
>> >
>> > I'll write a documentation page about it right away and post the link
>> > to this thread later.

>> > ...thanks for your question, it is as usual spot on (and earlier than
>> > expected :-)
>> >
>> > Regards Ard

>> > --
>> > Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam
>> > Boston - 1 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142
>> >
>> > US +1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
>> > Europe +31(0)20 522 4466
>> > www.onehippo.com
>>

>> --
>> Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam
>> Boston - 1 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142
>>
>> US +1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
>> Europe +31(0)20 522 4466
>> www.onehippo.com

Re: 7.8 version and translation:translations folder

Jerome Mirc-2
Just a remark.

Jerome.

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 4:40 PM, Jérôme Mirc <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Just a remark.

Ok. The remark is correct :). It is not so much that fetching the
translations with a direct jcr xpath or sql query is faster (it is
slower actually) but the gain lies in the fact that now translations
are only populated when really needed (which is way less frequent than
the translations would be populated through the virtual layer)

Regards Ard