Best way to reference a document

Jerome Mirc
Hi,

I have a product listing view page that displays a list of products. I would like to link a document from the CMS to the listing page when the sitemap already defines a different content path.

Also, it should work independently of the language and easy to be set by a webmaster.

What is the best way to do that?

Thanks

Jérôme

Re: Best way to reference a document

Mathijs Brand
Hi Jerome,

not sure if it's the best way, but it's the way we've often done it in projects:
you can add a component to the overview page which picks up the title from a simple text document. Than your webmaster can just link to the overview page by linking to the simple text document. This will naturally work with linking too and gives your webmaster to opportunity to easily change the title of the overview page too (or possibly add a description to your document for instance).

Hope that helps.

Kind regards,
Mathijs Brand

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 7:40 AM, Jerome Mirc <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I have a product listing view page that displays a list of products. I would
like to link a document from the CMS to the listing page when the sitemap
already defines a different content path.

Also, it should work independently of the language and easy to be set by a
webmaster.

What is the best way to do that?

Thanks

Jérôme

Re: Best way to reference a document

Bert Leunis
Hi Jérôme,

There are several ways to do it probably. The trick is to do it as easily and straightforward as possible. What about this approach? I think your sitemapitem points a path in the cms, say /products. Your list component collects all product documents somehow and puts them on the request. You can create a document, for example of a specific type, e.g.OverviewInfo in that /products folder. The component looks for the first document of type OverviewInfo in that folder and puts it on the request also. If this is really a good setup for you and your webmasters depends on the way the project is set up and on the way they like/want to work.

Bert Leunis

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 1:40 PM, Jerome Mirc <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I have a product listing view page that displays a list of products. I would
like to link a document from the CMS to the listing page when the sitemap
already defines a different content path.

Also, it should work independently of the language and easy to be set by a
webmaster.

What is the best way to do that?

Thanks

Jérôme

Re: Best way to reference a document

Ard
On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 9:16 AM, Bert Leunis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Jérôme,
>
> There are several ways to do it probably. The trick is to do it as easily
> and straightforward as possible. What about this approach? I think your
> sitemapitem points a path in the cms, say /products. Your list component
> collects all product documents somehow and puts them on the request. You can
> create a document, for example of a specific type, e.g.OverviewInfo in that

It could perhaps be easier: Most likely, by default, the linkpicker in
the rich text editor cannot link to folders. This is configuration.
Either configure another one to link to folders, or just allow the
normal one to link to folders. Then, you can link in the cms to
folders. The frontend will automatically create the correct link if
you point this link to, say /products folder and you have a sitemap
matcher for 'products'

Regards Ard