CMS Selenium output-wicketpaths

Michiel Rop
Hi,

Concerning performance of the cms:
  • How does the init parameter "output-wicketpaths" in the web.xml affect the performance ?
  • Do you advice to set the parameter to false on production environments and why ?

Background: See:

--
Best regards,
Michiel Rop

Re: CMS Selenium output-wicketpaths

Frank van Lankvelt
On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 11:39 AM, Michiel Rop <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Concerning performance of the cms:
>
> How does the init parameter "output-wicketpaths" in the web.xml affect the
> performance ?

I think the effect would be negligible.  Haven't measured it though.

> Do you advice to set the parameter to false on production environments and
> why ?

there's little reason to do this in production.  The cms now already
generates pretty stable ids (md5 hashes of the component path), so a
recorded selenium IDE script should also work pretty well with the
default settings.

It could be useful in debugging problems with ajax requests, for
example, though I must say that I've never used it for that.  Or for
anything else, for that matter.

The selenium tests we now usually create have selectors that do not
depend on the markup id.  I'm not aware of other uses of the selenium
IDE, in most cases it's probably easier to use screen-recording and
post a movie that highlights the issue.

cheers, Frank

> Background: See:
>
> https://issues.onehippo.com/browse/CMS7-3951
> http://www.onehippo.org/7_7/library/development/create-a-selenium-test-case.html
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Michiel Rop

Re: CMS Selenium output-wicketpaths

Simon Voortman-2
Hi,

there's little reason to do this in production.  The cms now already
generates pretty stable ids (md5 hashes of the component path), so a
recorded selenium IDE script should also work pretty well with the
default settings.

Indeed, there are some stable IDs, but these are not available for every element. For instance, the IDs for changing the perspective in the CMS seem not stable enough. This means that after refreshing the page, the IDs have changed.

This makes recording using Selenium IDE with the default settings partly useless, as many tests will include changing the perspective or use other elements that don't have stable IDs.

Kind regards,

Simon Voortman