Channel manager, auto-export and UUIDs

Niels van Kampenhout-2
Hi all,

Working for the first time with the Channel Manager in Hippo 7.7, I've
come across the following issue:
When making a change through the channel manager, a "preview" version
of the HST configuration is created. This can then be published, which
means the previous HST configuration is discarded, and the "preview"
config becomes the "live" config. Because basically the complete HST
config node tree is recreated, all nodes will have different UUIDs
after publishing in the Channel Manager. When Automatic Export is
enabled, this means that all files will show changes (when compared to
their base versions in the VCS). Most of these changes are just the
different UUIDs.
When working on a project with 2 or more people, this becomes quite a
hassle: lots of time lost on resolving version control conflicts which
are not really conflicts at all.
AFAICS, UUIDs are not strictly necessary in the XML exports: they will
be recreated on import. Would it be an idea to leave UUIDs out when
exporting (some) nodes? Or ideally, have the option to configure some
paths for which UUIDs are not exported (e.g. /hst:hst)?

WDYT?

Regards,
Niels

Re: Channel manager, auto-export and UUIDs

> Because basically the complete HST
> config node tree is recreated, all nodes will have different UUIDs
> after publishing in the Channel Manager. When Automatic Export is
> enabled, this means that all files will show changes (when compared to
> their base versions in the VCS). Most of these changes are just the
> different UUIDs.

Oh yes.. I've had this as well.. A solution would be very much appreciated!

Arje

Re: Channel manager, auto-export and UUIDs

Jasha Joachimsthal
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Channel manager, auto-export and UUIDs

Niels van Kampenhout-2
On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 10:11 AM, Jasha Joachimsthal
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 29 February 2012 09:41, Arje Cahn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > Because basically the complete HST
>> > config node tree is recreated, all nodes will have different UUIDs
>> > after publishing in the Channel Manager. When Automatic Export is
>> > enabled, this means that all files will show changes (when compared to
>> > their base versions in the VCS). Most of these changes are just the
>> > different UUIDs.
>>
>> Oh yes.. I've had this as well.. A solution would be very much
>> appreciated!
>

> If you had split up your component (sitemap, template, page) exports into
> individual items they are merged by the autoexport into a single file with
> all the components (sitemaps, templates, pages) after publishing the
> channel. This is also very annoying.

I think when you use auto-export, it's best not to interfere with the
file structure it creates.

Niels

Re: Channel manager, auto-export and UUIDs

Unico Hommes
The problem is not specific for auto export. Behind the scenes auto
export uses the same export utility that you would use when exporting
nodes manually from the console. It is just that probably when you
export manually you would typically export more specific nodes and
paste them into an existing file, leaving the unchanged nodes
untouched.

Ard just informed me that it would be no problem to leave out the
UUIDs from any exported configuration xml under /hst, so it seems
possible. So in principle it sounds like a reasonable improvement to
me. UUIDs on content however /are/ used and should be exported. I
don't know if we should make it configurable therefore.

--
Unico

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 10:55 AM, Unico Hommes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Ard just informed me that it would be no problem to leave out the
> UUIDs from any exported configuration xml under /hst, so it seems
> possible. So in principle it sounds like a reasonable improvement to
> me. UUIDs on content however /are/ used and should be exported. I
> don't know if we should make it configurable therefore.

Just hardcode it for /hst:hst/** and I'll be happy!!! ;-)

Niels

Re: Channel manager, auto-export and UUIDs

Unico Hommes
Hi,

I implemented this in the new AE add-on we are migrating to. I would
appreciate it if you (Niels) would take it for a test drive. Here's
what you need to do to use the auto export add-on:

1. In cms/pom.xml locate the
org.onehippo.cms7:hippo-repository-dependencies dependency and exclude
the export module:

    <dependency>
      <groupId>org.onehippo.cms7</groupId>
      <artifactId>hippo-repository-dependencies</artifactId>
      <type>pom</type>
      <exclusions>
        <exclusion>
          <groupId>org.onehippo.cms7</groupId>
          <artifactId>hippo-repository-export</artifactId>
        </exclusion>
      </exclusions>
    </dependency>

2. Instead, use the new and upcoming AE addon:

    <dependency>
      <groupId>org.onehippo.cms7</groupId>
      <artifactId>hippo-addon-automatic-export-frontend</artifactId>
      <version>2.01.02-SNAPSHOT</version>
    </dependency>

    <dependency>
      <groupId>org.onehippo.cms7</groupId>
      <artifactId>hippo-addon-automatic-export-repository</artifactId>
      <version>2.01.02-SNAPSHOT</version>
    </dependency>

3. Either build the addon yourself by checking out
http://svn.onehippo.org/repos/hippo/hippo-cms7/addons/addon-automatic-export/trunk/
and building or follow the instructions [1] to build your project with
the snapshot repository enabled. (Actually you will need also when you
build AE from trunk)

I decided to make the paths configurable after all. Specify prefix
paths under which uuids must be filtered on
/hippo:configuration/hippo:modules/automaticexport/hippo:moduleConfig/filteruuidpaths
property. /hst should be already defined there.

1. https://wiki.onehippo.com/display/CMS7/Build+Hippo+CMS+7.5+or+higher+from+scratch

--
Unico

P.S. As an added benefit after following the above instructions you
will have an AE that can export Delta XMLs!
P.S.2 I will make a release of the add-on and put up above
instructions on how to migrate to the add-on next week. But I need for
someone to test it first.

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 1:38 PM, Unico Hommes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I implemented this in the new AE add-on we are migrating to. I would
> appreciate it if you (Niels) would take it for a test drive.

Hi Unico,

I put it on my to do list and hope to find time for it soon.

Regards,
Niels

Re: Channel manager, auto-export and UUIDs

Unico Hommes
On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 10:39 AM, Niels van Kampenhout
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 1:38 PM, Unico Hommes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I implemented this in the new AE add-on we are migrating to. I would
>> appreciate it if you (Niels) would take it for a test drive.
>
> Hi Unico,
>
> I put it on my to do list and hope to find time for it soon.

Thanks. Also see https://wiki.onehippo.com/display/CMS7/Automatic+export+add-on

(Work in progress)

--
Unico

Re: Channel manager, auto-export and UUIDs

Niels van Kampenhout-2
On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 1:38 PM, Unico Hommes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I implemented this in the new AE add-on we are migrating to. I would
> appreciate it if you (Niels) would take it for a test drive.

Hi Unico,

I did a few quick tests and it looks very good! This makes it so much
easier to compare/diff content exports. With Eclipse configured to
ignore whitespace when comparing files, it only shows the XML files
that really changed. In other words, exactly what I want.

Thanks,
Niels