Communicating with editors from within the CMS

Communicating with editors from within the CMS

Gerrit Berkouwer
We have a lot of editors, indoors but also on other locations. We use e-mail to communicate with these end-users of the CMS. We now are thinking about better ways to communicatie with these users. Some ideas:

- status-mesages: we would like to be able to use the dashboard to give status-mesages to all users. So when a user logs in he sees the status-messages ont he dashboard, e.g "Dear user, remember: this afternoon at 15.00 oçlock content freeze because of the upgrading to 7.4 :-)
- stop/start the CMS: we need a way to stop and start the CMS. That way it would be possible to really make logging in impossible, combined with a message why the CMS is not accessible. Now we tel the users not to log in during a freeze but they sometimes forget this and still log in when it's not wanted or possible
- instant messaging: a nice idea would be to be able to use a IM-application when users are logged in. So when a user is logged in he appears in the IM-list, so they can talk to each other and to the 'webmasters'. Maybe integrate the CMS-login with Pidgin or Gtalk or some other already existing IM-application?
- context sensitive help: a user should be able to use context sensitive help from within the CMS, eg when filling in a news-article he could use a shortcut to see what he can do here

Any other ideas?

Re: Communicating with editors from within the CMS

Ard
Hello Gerrit,

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 8:03 AM, Gerrit Berkouwer
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> We have a lot of editors, indoors but also on other locations. We use e-mail
> to communicate with these end-users of the CMS. We now are thinking about
> better ways to communicatie with these users. Some ideas:
>
> - status-mesages: we would like to be able to use the dashboard to give
> status-mesages to all users. So when a user logs in he sees the
> status-messages ont he dashboard, e.g "Dear user, remember: this afternoon
> at 15.00 oçlock content freeze because of the upgrading to 7.4 :-)
> - stop/start the CMS: we need a way to stop and start the CMS. That way it
> would be possible to really make logging in impossible, combined with a
> message why the CMS is not accessible. Now we tel the users not to log in
> during a freeze but they sometimes forget this and still log in when it's
> not wanted or possible
> - instant messaging: a nice idea would be to be able to use a IM-application
> when users are logged in. So when a user is logged in he appears in the
> IM-list, so they can talk to each other and to the 'webmasters'. Maybe
> integrate the CMS-login with Pidgin or Gtalk or some other already existing
> IM-application?
> - context sensitive help: a user should be able to use context sensitive
> help from within the CMS, eg when filling in a news-article he could use a
> shortcut to see what he can do here

I like all these ideas. Not completely sure what you had in mind for
the 'context sensitive help' though. For the rest, it seems like good
features to me

> Any other ideas?

Not yet :)

Regards Ard

> -----
> --
> Greetz, Gerrit

Re: Communicating with editors from within the CMS

Not entirely accidentally, we're working on OpenSocial integration for
the HST.. OpenSocial could add lots of collaboration functionality to
the CMS!

A lot of what your saying actually sounds like Activity streams.

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 8:25 AM, Ard Schrijvers
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Gerrit,
>
> On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 8:03 AM, Gerrit Berkouwer
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> We have a lot of editors, indoors but also on other locations. We use e-mail
>> to communicate with these end-users of the CMS. We now are thinking about
>> better ways to communicatie with these users. Some ideas:
>>
>> - status-mesages: we would like to be able to use the dashboard to give
>> status-mesages to all users. So when a user logs in he sees the
>> status-messages ont he dashboard, e.g "Dear user, remember: this afternoon
>> at 15.00 oçlock content freeze because of the upgrading to 7.4 :-)
>> - stop/start the CMS: we need a way to stop and start the CMS. That way it
>> would be possible to really make logging in impossible, combined with a
>> message why the CMS is not accessible. Now we tel the users not to log in
>> during a freeze but they sometimes forget this and still log in when it's
>> not wanted or possible
>> - instant messaging: a nice idea would be to be able to use a IM-application
>> when users are logged in. So when a user is logged in he appears in the
>> IM-list, so they can talk to each other and to the 'webmasters'. Maybe
>> integrate the CMS-login with Pidgin or Gtalk or some other already existing
>> IM-application?
>> - context sensitive help: a user should be able to use context sensitive
>> help from within the CMS, eg when filling in a news-article he could use a
>> shortcut to see what he can do here
>
> I like all these ideas. Not completely sure what you had in mind for
> the 'context sensitive help' though. For the rest, it seems like good
> features to me
>

>> Any other ideas?
>
> Not yet :)
>
> Regards Ard
>

>> -----
>> --
>> Greetz, Gerrit

Re: Communicating with editors from within the CMS

Stephan Westen-2
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> We have a lot of editors, indoors but also on other locations. We use e-mail
> to communicate with these end-users of the CMS. We now are thinking about
> better ways to communicatie with these users. Some ideas:
>
> - status-mesages: we would like to be able to use the dashboard to give
> status-mesages to all users. So when a user logs in he sees the
> status-messages ont he dashboard, e.g "Dear user, remember: this afternoon
> at 15.00 oçlock content freeze because of the upgrading to 7.4 :-)

I can imagine you add a dedicated plugin to the dashboard that shows a
status document.
Arje's alternative of combining it with open social is also nices, but
important messages might get lost in the activity stream.

> - stop/start the CMS: we need a way to stop and start the CMS. That way it
> would be possible to really make logging in impossible, combined with a
> message why the CMS is not accessible. Now we tel the users not to log in
> during a freeze but they sometimes forget this and still log in when it's
> not wanted or possible

Having a proxy before the CMS that would redirect the user to a
(static html?) page that says the CMS is currently unavailable due to
maintenance seems to me like a better way than actually shutting down
the CMS instances. You also need to test the CMS instance(s) before
users start accessing it.
Of course it would be better to be able to manipulate the content of
the page instead of a static page. Ideas?

> - instant messaging: a nice idea would be to be able to use a IM-application
> when users are logged in. So when a user is logged in he appears in the
> IM-list, so they can talk to each other and to the 'webmasters'. Maybe
> integrate the CMS-login with Pidgin or Gtalk or some other already existing
> IM-application?

The gadget support in 7.5 would help, but not sure if you can wait that long.

> - context sensitive help: a user should be able to use context sensitive
> help from within the CMS, eg when filling in a news-article he could use a
> shortcut to see what he can do here

Or a popup that shows the help information automatically. In my
experience end-users don't click help, it should just work :-) Users
should be able to disable this popup.
I wonder if there is a way to do this orthogonal, so instead of
extending each plugin with 'context sensitive help support' whether
you could have a generic plugin that can lookup based on the current
focus a help text. This requires some unique identifier in the html.
(hope this makes some sense)

Stephan

> Any other ideas?
>
> -----
> --
> Greetz, Gerrit

thanks,

Stephan

Re: Communicating with editors from within the CMS

We have a lot of editors, indoors but also on other locations. We use e-mail
to communicate with these end-users of the CMS. We now are thinking about
better ways to communicatie with these users. Some ideas:

- status-mesages: we would like to be able to use the dashboard to give
status-mesages to all users. So when a user logs in he sees the
status-messages ont he dashboard, e.g "Dear user, remember: this afternoon
at 15.00 oçlock content freeze because of the upgrading to 7.4 :-)

this should be quite easy to achieve using a plugin.  Create a document at some fixed (hidden) location, and in the dashboard show an editor / viewer of this document.  Only admins can edit, no need for reviewed-actions, something like that?

- stop/start the CMS: we need a way to stop and start the CMS. That way it
would be possible to really make logging in impossible, combined with a
message why the CMS is not accessible. Now we tel the users not to log in
during a freeze but they sometimes forget this and still log in when it's
not wanted or possible

nice, should be possible when running the cms and the repository as separate applications (possibly in the same container).

- instant messaging: a nice idea would be to be able to use a IM-application
when users are logged in. So when a user is logged in he appears in the
IM-list, so they can talk to each other and to the 'webmasters'. Maybe
integrate the CMS-login with Pidgin or Gtalk or some other already existing
IM-application?
- context sensitive help: a user should be able to use context sensitive
help from within the CMS, eg when filling in a news-article he could use a
shortcut to see what he can do here

that's definitively on my wishlist; a question mark button that would show a description.  Should be easy to add, though I'm afraid it will lead to a (compatible) update to the hipposysedit namespace.

An old plugin on the forge is the "colleague tracker", http://colleaguetrack.forge.onehippo.org/ .

I guess we can expect a demo next week at the Hippo GetTogether?

cheers, Frank

Any other ideas?

-----