Detecting the default channel manager rest uri?

Detecting the default channel manager rest uri?

Woonsan Ko-3
Hi,

I've experienced the error, 'java.net.ConnectException: ConnectException
invoking http://127.0.0.1:8080/site/_cmsrest' when I started server on a
different port than 8080. The trouble shooting was well documented here:
-
http://www.onehippo.org/7_7/library/concepts/channels/channel-manager-troubleshooting.html

It may depend on preferences, but I think it would be better if the
scheme, server name and port number are automatically detected somehow,
with having only the remaining path in the configuration by default.
It's not just for convenience in development, but also I guess it helps
serve multi-domain sites.

Regards,

Woonsan

--
[hidden email]     www.onehippo.com

Re: Detecting the default channel manager rest uri?

Paul van der Zandt
Hi Woonsan,

I've experienced the same issue. I solved it by creating a new slightly modified version of the hstRestProxyService. See http://hippo.2275632.n2.nabble.com/Note-on-hstRestProxyService-td7578534.html for more details. Ard reacted to it, but I haven't had the time to review or comment on it. This solution does work for us. It is a non intrusive solution, but it does require a little configuration if you want to use a different port (or even url). If it would be possible to automatically determine the value of the rest.uri, we would be the first in line to use it.

Cheers,
Paul.
I've experienced the error, 'java.net.ConnectException: ConnectException
invoking http://127.0.0.1:8080/site/_cmsrest' when I started server on a
different port than 8080. The trouble shooting was well documented here:
-
http://www.onehippo.org/7_7/library/concepts/channels/channel-manager-troubleshooting.html

It may depend on preferences, but I think it would be better if the
scheme, server name and port number are automatically detected somehow,
with having only the remaining path in the configuration by default.
It's not just for convenience in development, but also I guess it helps
serve multi-domain sites.

Regards,

Woonsan

--
[hidden email]     www.onehippo.com

This message contains information that may be privileged or confidential and is the property of the Capgemini Group. It is
intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to
read, print, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute, or use this message or any part thereof. If you receive this message

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 7:32 PM, Woonsan Ko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've experienced the error, 'java.net.ConnectException: ConnectException
> invoking http://127.0.0.1:8080/site/_cmsrest' when I started server on a
> different port than 8080. The trouble shooting was well documented here:
> -
> http://www.onehippo.org/7_7/library/concepts/channels/channel-manager-troubleshooting.html
>
> It may depend on preferences, but I think it would be better if the scheme,
> server name and port number are automatically detected somehow, with having
> only the remaining path in the configuration by default.
> It's not just for convenience in development, but also I guess it helps
> serve multi-domain sites.

I would really like this; the plugin currently forces one to specify
the uri, but it should be able to determine most of these by itself.
The only exception is the context-path of the hst (though we can
default to 'site' if not specified) and the mount-point of the cms
rest service (again, we can easily default to '_cmsrest').

Of course, there would be a problem when site and cms are running in
different containers *and* one wants to run multiple instances of both
applications on the same machine.  At that point, environment-specific
configuration is needed, e.g. in a system property.  (note that the
system property could also just point to the respective environment,
i.e. -Dhippo.environment='development' or
-Dhippo.environment='testing'; the plugin-specific configuration could
then still be in the repository)

> Woonsan
>
> --
> [hidden email]     www.onehippo.com

Re: Detecting the default channel manager rest uri?

b.vanderschans@onehippo.com
On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 9:33 AM, Frank van Lankvelt
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 7:32 PM, Woonsan Ko <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've experienced the error, 'java.net.ConnectException: ConnectException
>> invoking http://127.0.0.1:8080/site/_cmsrest' when I started server on a
>> different port than 8080. The trouble shooting was well documented here:
>> -
>> http://www.onehippo.org/7_7/library/concepts/channels/channel-manager-troubleshooting.html
>>
>> It may depend on preferences, but I think it would be better if the scheme,
>> server name and port number are automatically detected somehow, with having
>> only the remaining path in the configuration by default.
>> It's not just for convenience in development, but also I guess it helps
>> serve multi-domain sites.
>>
> I would really like this; the plugin currently forces one to specify
> the uri, but it should be able to determine most of these by itself.
> The only exception is the context-path of the hst (though we can
> default to 'site' if not specified) and the mount-point of the cms
> rest service (again, we can easily default to '_cmsrest').
>
> Of course, there would be a problem when site and cms are running in
> different containers *and* one wants to run multiple instances of both
> applications on the same machine.  At that point, environment-specific
> configuration is needed, e.g. in a system property.  (note that the
> system property could also just point to the respective environment,
> i.e. -Dhippo.environment='development' or
> -Dhippo.environment='testing'; the plugin-specific configuration could
> then still be in the repository)

Why a system property? We already store this information in the
"hst:channelmanagerhostgroup" property on the hst:hosts.

I'm not sure if autodetection will really work in the end. There are
too many deployment scenarios in combination with reverse proxy
settings.

Bart

Re: Detecting the default channel manager rest uri?

Ard
On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 11:08 AM, Bart van der Schans
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 9:33 AM, Frank van Lankvelt
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 7:32 PM, Woonsan Ko <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've experienced the error, 'java.net.ConnectException: ConnectException
>>> invoking http://127.0.0.1:8080/site/_cmsrest' when I started server on a
>>> different port than 8080. The trouble shooting was well documented here:
>>> -
>>> http://www.onehippo.org/7_7/library/concepts/channels/channel-manager-troubleshooting.html
>>>
>>> It may depend on preferences, but I think it would be better if the scheme,
>>> server name and port number are automatically detected somehow, with having
>>> only the remaining path in the configuration by default.
>>> It's not just for convenience in development, but also I guess it helps
>>> serve multi-domain sites.
>>>
>> I would really like this; the plugin currently forces one to specify
>> the uri, but it should be able to determine most of these by itself.
>> The only exception is the context-path of the hst (though we can
>> default to 'site' if not specified) and the mount-point of the cms
>> rest service (again, we can easily default to '_cmsrest').
>>
>> Of course, there would be a problem when site and cms are running in
>> different containers *and* one wants to run multiple instances of both
>> applications on the same machine.  At that point, environment-specific
>> configuration is needed, e.g. in a system property.  (note that the
>> system property could also just point to the respective environment,
>> i.e. -Dhippo.environment='development' or
>> -Dhippo.environment='testing'; the plugin-specific configuration could
>> then still be in the repository)
>
> Why a system property? We already store this information in the
> "hst:channelmanagerhostgroup" property on the hst:hosts.
>
> I'm not sure if autodetection will really work in the end. There are
> too many deployment scenarios in combination with reverse proxy
> settings.

That is also what I fear. It is very complex to use autodetection.
AFAIK, there is no way from the application for example whether the
end user sees the context path or not.

We could make it in the 7.8 a bit easier now the channels are not
loaded through java calls but rest calls: We could get rid of the
hst:channelmanagerhostgroup property. The hst:cmslocation on the
hst:virtualhostgroup group would still be needed, but this has the
advantage that the very same hst config can be used on dev, test, acct
and prod since the domain specific property
hst:channelmanagerhostgroup on the shared hst:hosts node could be
removed

Ard

> Bart

Re: Detecting the default channel manager rest uri?

b.vanderschans@onehippo.com
On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 11:16 AM, Ard Schrijvers
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 11:08 AM, Bart van der Schans
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 9:33 AM, Frank van Lankvelt
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I would really like this; the plugin currently forces one to specify
>>> the uri, but it should be able to determine most of these by itself.
>>> The only exception is the context-path of the hst (though we can
>>> default to 'site' if not specified) and the mount-point of the cms
>>> rest service (again, we can easily default to '_cmsrest').
>>>
>>> Of course, there would be a problem when site and cms are running in
>>> different containers *and* one wants to run multiple instances of both
>>> applications on the same machine.  At that point, environment-specific
>>> configuration is needed, e.g. in a system property.  (note that the
>>> system property could also just point to the respective environment,
>>> i.e. -Dhippo.environment='development' or
>>> -Dhippo.environment='testing'; the plugin-specific configuration could
>>> then still be in the repository)
>>
>> Why a system property? We already store this information in the
>> "hst:channelmanagerhostgroup" property on the hst:hosts.
>>
>> I'm not sure if autodetection will really work in the end. There are
>> too many deployment scenarios in combination with reverse proxy
>> settings.
>
> That is also what I fear. It is very complex to use autodetection.
> AFAIK, there is no way from the application for example whether the
> end user sees the context path or not.
>
> We could make it in the 7.8 a bit easier now the channels are not
> loaded through java calls but rest calls: We could get rid of the
> hst:channelmanagerhostgroup property. The hst:cmslocation on the
> hst:virtualhostgroup group would still be needed, but this has the
> advantage that the very same hst config can be used on dev, test, acct
> and prod since the domain specific property
> hst:channelmanagerhostgroup on the shared hst:hosts node could be
> removed

I think it would really help if we would have some configuration
wizard to help you setup the channelmanager. It could specifically
check if intermediate steps are configured correctly give hints about
proxy configurations, point to trouble shooting pages, etc. etc.  The
only thing you now have are some barely documented properties in two
different configuration trees in the repository which you have to set
manually in the console. Having a good setup wizard will take away 99%
of the configuration issues people run into now.

Bart

On 9/12/12 5:16 AM, Ard Schrijvers wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 11:08 AM, Bart van der Schans
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 9:33 AM, Frank van Lankvelt
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I would really like this; the plugin currently forces one to specify
>>> the uri, but it should be able to determine most of these by itself.
>>> The only exception is the context-path of the hst (though we can
>>> default to 'site' if not specified) and the mount-point of the cms
>>> rest service (again, we can easily default to '_cmsrest').
>>>
>>> Of course, there would be a problem when site and cms are running in
>>> different containers *and* one wants to run multiple instances of both
>>> applications on the same machine.  At that point, environment-specific
>>> configuration is needed, e.g. in a system property.  (note that the
>>> system property could also just point to the respective environment,
>>> i.e. -Dhippo.environment='development' or
>>> -Dhippo.environment='testing'; the plugin-specific configuration could
>>> then still be in the repository)
>>
>> Why a system property? We already store this information in the
>> "hst:channelmanagerhostgroup" property on the hst:hosts.
>>
>> I'm not sure if autodetection will really work in the end. There are
>> too many deployment scenarios in combination with reverse proxy
>> settings.
>
> That is also what I fear. It is very complex to use autodetection.
> AFAIK, there is no way from the application for example whether the
> end user sees the context path or not.

By the way, I forgot the classname, but I saw a cms channel manager
class invoking the rest service in the *server-side* by using CXF client
code libraries, which means it doesn't need to detect the client-side
domain name at all. Mostly it works with its localhost.
So, autodetection seems really possible.

Regards,

Woonsan

On 9/12/12 5:22 AM, Bart van der Schans wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 11:16 AM, Ard Schrijvers
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 11:08 AM, Bart van der Schans
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Why a system property? We already store this information in the
>>> "hst:channelmanagerhostgroup" property on the hst:hosts.
>>>
>>> I'm not sure if autodetection will really work in the end. There are
>>> too many deployment scenarios in combination with reverse proxy
>>> settings.
>>
>> That is also what I fear. It is very complex to use autodetection.
>> AFAIK, there is no way from the application for example whether the
>> end user sees the context path or not.
>>
>> We could make it in the 7.8 a bit easier now the channels are not
>> loaded through java calls but rest calls: We could get rid of the
>> hst:channelmanagerhostgroup property. The hst:cmslocation on the
>> hst:virtualhostgroup group would still be needed, but this has the
>> advantage that the very same hst config can be used on dev, test, acct
>> and prod since the domain specific property
>> hst:channelmanagerhostgroup on the shared hst:hosts node could be
>> removed
>
> I think it would really help if we would have some configuration
> wizard to help you setup the channelmanager. It could specifically
> check if intermediate steps are configured correctly give hints about
> proxy configurations, point to trouble shooting pages, etc. etc.  The
> only thing you now have are some barely documented properties in two
> different configuration trees in the repository which you have to set
> manually in the console. Having a good setup wizard will take away 99%
> of the configuration issues people run into now.

If the cms code just invokes the rest services in the *server-side*, not
in the *client-side*, then it's possible to automatically detect its
server address.
In that case, it's a lower hanging fruit than some kind of wizards.

Regards,

Woonsan

> Bart

[hidden email]     www.onehippo.com

Re: Detecting the default channel manager rest uri?

Frank van Lankvelt
On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 4:13 PM, Woonsan Ko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 9/12/12 5:22 AM, Bart van der Schans wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 11:16 AM, Ard Schrijvers
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> That is also what I fear. It is very complex to use autodetection.
>>> AFAIK, there is no way from the application for example whether the
>>> end user sees the context path or not.
>>>
>>> We could make it in the 7.8 a bit easier now the channels are not
>>> loaded through java calls but rest calls: We could get rid of the
>>> hst:channelmanagerhostgroup property. The hst:cmslocation on the
>>> hst:virtualhostgroup group would still be needed, but this has the
>>> advantage that the very same hst config can be used on dev, test, acct
>>> and prod since the domain specific property
>>> hst:channelmanagerhostgroup on the shared hst:hosts node could be
>>> removed
>>

>> I think it would really help if we would have some configuration
>> wizard to help you setup the channelmanager. It could specifically
>> check if intermediate steps are configured correctly give hints about
>> proxy configurations, point to trouble shooting pages, etc. etc.  The
>> only thing you now have are some barely documented properties in two
>> different configuration trees in the repository which you have to set
>> manually in the console. Having a good setup wizard will take away 99%
>> of the configuration issues people run into now.
>

> If the cms code just invokes the rest services in the *server-side*, not in
> the *client-side*, then it's possible to automatically detect its server
> address.

exactly.  We were talking about the _cmsrest service.

cheers, Frank

Op 12 sep. 2012 16:12 schreef "Woonsan Ko" <[hidden email]> het volgende:

> On 9/12/12 5:16 AM, Ard Schrijvers wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 11:08 AM, Bart van der Schans
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Why a system property? We already store this information in the
>>> "hst:channelmanagerhostgroup" property on the hst:hosts.
>>>
>>> I'm not sure if autodetection will really work in the end. There are
>>> too many deployment scenarios in combination with reverse proxy
>>> settings.
>>

>> That is also what I fear. It is very complex to use autodetection.
>> AFAIK, there is no way from the application for example whether the
>> end user sees the context path or not.
>

> By the way, I forgot the classname, but I saw a cms channel manager class invoking the rest service in the *server-side* by using CXF client code libraries, which means it doesn't need to detect the client-side domain name at all. Mostly it works with its localhost.
> So, autodetection seems really possible.

The server side rest calls indeed should be possible, but afaik this is already automatic: it is always on 127.0.0.1 and the same port as cms. However, there is also the client side rest calls between cms and side. These are the calls including _rp. These need to go over the host of the cms.

Either way, perhaps you have found some possible improvement. I am not yet sure we can really get away with auto detect. Perhaps we can improve it. I hope to have some time to dive into it as well

Regards ard and thanks for your insights

> Regards,
>
> Woonsan
>

>> We could make it in the 7.8 a bit easier now the channels are not
>> loaded through java calls but rest calls: We could get rid of the
>> hst:channelmanagerhostgroup property. The hst:cmslocation on the
>> hst:virtualhostgroup group would still be needed, but this has the
>> advantage that the very same hst config can be used on dev, test, acct
>> and prod since the domain specific property
>> hst:channelmanagerhostgroup on the shared hst:hosts node could be
>> removed
>>
>> Ard
>>

>>> Bart

> [hidden email]     www.onehippo.com

Re: Detecting the default channel manager rest uri?

Woonsan Ko-3

Please see my comments inline.

Sent from my mobile phone. Apologies for any typos.

On Sep 12, 2012 5:15 PM, "Ard Schrijvers" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Op 12 sep. 2012 16:12 schreef "Woonsan Ko" <[hidden email]> het volgende:
>

> > On 9/12/12 5:16 AM, Ard Schrijvers wrote:

> >> That is also what I fear. It is very complex to use autodetection.
> >> AFAIK, there is no way from the application for example whether the
> >> end user sees the context path or not.
> >

> > By the way, I forgot the classname, but I saw a cms channel manager class invoking the rest service in the *server-side* by using CXF client code libraries, which means it doesn't need to detect the client-side domain name at all. Mostly it works with its localhost.
> > So, autodetection seems really possible.
>
> The server side rest calls indeed should be possible, but afaik this is already automatic: it is always on 127.0.0.1 and the same port as cms.

No. There are classes invoking configured url with CXf client in channel manager.

> However, there is also the client side rest calls between cms and side. These are the calls including _rp. These need to go over the host of the cms.

Why don't they (client side scripts) use relative urls then? Base relative path only can be configured then.

Cheers,

Woonsan

Op 12 sep. 2012 23:47 schreef "Woonsan Ko" <[hidden email]> het volgende:

> Please see my comments inline.
>
> Sent from my mobile phone. Apologies for any typos.
>
> On Sep 12, 2012 5:15 PM, "Ard Schrijvers" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > By the way, I forgot the classname, but I saw a cms channel manager class invoking the rest service in the *server-side* by using CXF client code libraries, which means it doesn't need to detect the client-side domain name at all. Mostly it works with its localhost.
> > > So, autodetection seems really possible.
> >
> > The server side rest calls indeed should be possible, but afaik this is already automatic: it is always on 127.0.0.1 and the same port as cms.
>
> No. There are classes invoking configured url with CXf client in channel manager.
>
> > However, there is also the client side rest calls between cms and side. These are the calls including _rp. These need to go over the host of the cms.
>
> Why don't they (client side scripts) use relative urls then? Base relative path only can be configured then.

From the top of my head the client nor the server side can correctly know the possible contextpath in the url.or not when there are proxies involved. I cant recall all the details now but sure i can take some look.

Regards ard

> Cheers,
>
> Woonsan
>

> > Either way, perhaps you have found some possible improvement. I am not yet sure we can really get away with auto detect. Perhaps we can improve it. I hope to have some time to dive into it as well
> >
> > Regards ard and thanks for your insights
> >

> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Woonsan

> > > --
> > > [hidden email]     www.onehippo.com
> > >
> > > Boston - 1 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142
> > > Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam
> > > US +1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
> > > Europe +31(0)20 522 4466

Re: Detecting the default channel manager rest uri?

Michiel Rop

Why a system property? We already store this information in the
"hst:channelmanagerhostgroup" property on the hst:hosts.

It might be a corner case, but at one of our clients two application servers on the same machine run on different port and use the same repository. There could be other solutions than using a system property, but the port number in that case cannot be stored in the repository.
--
Best regards,
Michiel Rop

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 8:53 AM, Michiel Rop <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Why a system property? We already store this information in the
>> "hst:channelmanagerhostgroup" property on the hst:hosts.
>

> It might be a corner case, but at one of our clients two application servers

You mean as in clustered set up or two completely independent
(sites/rest services)?

> on the same machine run on different port and use the same repository. There
> could be other solutions than using a system property, but the port number
> in that case cannot be stored in the repository.

I don't really understand the set up you have, but let's do that in
another thread if you need more info

> Best regards,
> Michiel Rop

Re: Detecting the default channel manager rest uri?

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 9:01 AM, Ard Schrijvers
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 8:53 AM, Michiel Rop <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>> Why a system property? We already store this information in the
>>> "hst:channelmanagerhostgroup" property on the hst:hosts.
>>

>> It might be a corner case, but at one of our clients two application servers
>
> You mean as in clustered set up or two completely independent
> (sites/rest services)?
>
>> on the same machine run on different port and use the same repository. There
>> could be other solutions than using a system property, but the port number
>> in that case cannot be stored in the repository.

What Michiel is trying to say is that there could be customers (I know
at least one) that run 2 cms instances on the same machine in a
clustered setup. (and have 2 more instances on another machine for
failover) These tomcat instances run on different ports and contain
both site and CMS. If that is the case then it's not possible to
'just' use the channelmanager hostgroup and fetch the port, because
the ports might not match.

Can't we just fetch the port number from the container and use that
instead of using a property? We're always connecting to
127.0.0.1:[container.port] right?

On 9/13/12 2:22 AM, Ard Schrijvers wrote:

>  > > However, there is also the client side rest calls between cms and
> side. These are the calls including _rp. These need to go over the host
> of the cms.
>  >
>  > Why don't they (client side scripts) use relative urls then? Base
> relative path only can be configured then.
>
>  From the top of my head the client nor the server side can correctly
> know the possible contextpath in the url.or not when there are proxies
> involved. I cant recall all the details now but sure i can take some look.

I meant that scheme, server name and port numbers are auto-detectable
from both server-side and client-side.
Of course, the remaining base path (context path + base path info)
should be configurable with a reasonable default value.

Regards,

Woonsan

--
[hidden email]     www.onehippo.com