Does Hippo has a Multiselect (link)picker?

Does Hippo has a Multiselect (link)picker?

mdevisser
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Does Hippo has a Multiselect (link)picker?

Ard
On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 3:09 PM, mdevisser <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
> We want to have a multiselect picker, to select more than one links or
> images at once.
> Does this allready excist in Hippo 7.5?

If in the cms template you define that the field is multiple, you can
add multiple links or images, so yes, it already exists. Hope this
helps

Regards Ard

> Thanks
> Marienette

Re: Does Hippo has a Multiselect (link)picker?

Mathijs Brand
On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 9:22 AM, Ard Schrijvers
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 3:09 PM, mdevisser <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> We want to have a multiselect picker, to select more than one links or
>> images at once.
>> Does this allready excist in Hippo 7.5?
>
> If in the cms template you define that the field is multiple, you can
> add multiple links or images, so yes, it already exists. Hope this
> helps

In addition, I think this forge plugin will help:
http://selection.forge.onehippo.org/

CONTENTS DELETED

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Does Hippo has a Multiselect (link)picker?

Stephan Westen
Hi Marienette,

Afaik the out-of-the-box CMS 7.5 does not offer support in the image or link picker to select multiple items at a time.

However your image makes me doubt, where does the image come from? Is it a mock-up or something truly operational?

thanks,

Stephan

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 4:27 PM, mdevisser <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thnx, but than you can add multiple links by adding link by link, right?
After adding a link, you can click the +button to add another link?

What we want is just one tree in which you can select multiple links. I've
attached an image for reference.

http://hippo.2275632.n2.nabble.com/file/n6427150/Hippo_Multi-linkpicker.jpg

thanx,
Marienette

thanks,

Stephan

Re: Does Hippo has a Multiselect (link)picker?

Vijay Kiran-3
Hi Marienette,

I'm not sure if I understood your use case correctly, the image isn't clear enough for me.

If you want have the feature to add multiple links to a document in one go  - you may need to extend the existing picker plugins to customize to your needs.

./Vijay

On Jun 1, 2011, at 4:27 PM, mdevisser wrote:

> Thnx, but than you can add multiple links by adding link by link, right?
> After adding a link, you can click the +button to add another link?
>
> What we want is just one tree in which you can select multiple links. I've
> attached an image for reference.
>
> http://hippo.2275632.n2.nabble.com/file/n6427150/Hippo_Multi-linkpicker.jpg
>
> thanx,
> Marienette

Re: Does Hippo has a Multiselect (link)picker?

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 4:27 PM, mdevisser <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thnx, but than you can add multiple links by adding link by link, right?
> After adding a link, you can click the +button to add another link?
>
> What we want is just one tree in which you can select multiple links. I've
> attached an image for reference.
>
> http://hippo.2275632.n2.nabble.com/file/n6427150/Hippo_Multi-linkpicker.jpg

this behavior would be quite different from other link or image
pickers.  It's going to be quite hard to implement that in a way that
is compatible with existing tree and listing plugins.  In a custom
plugin, it would of course always be possible to do this.

cheers, Frank

> thanx,
> Marienette

Re: Does Hippo has a Multiselect (link)picker?

Gerrit Berkouwer
This behaviour is quite normal in day-to-day software.
When a user wants to select multiple items to do something with the items.
Take a look at file explorer interfaces, or at music software like Winamp or Spotify:

- select one or multiple objects
- either all in a row (1-10)
- or handpicked from the row of items (1, 4, 7, 10)
- use the multiple items to do something, e.g. add them to a playlist of add them to another document because you want to make a list of links.

This would be very powerful: a lot of editors of CMS'es have repeating tasks, like adding multiple links one by one to some document.

This should be accompanied by another (not yet existing I think?) feature: having a list of 'last edited by me' documents in the linkpicker to use. I will make a seperate post to talk about this second idea...

Re: Does Hippo has a Multiselect (link)picker?

Frank van Lankvelt
On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 8:39 PM, Gerrit Berkouwer
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> This behaviour is quite normal in day-to-day software.
> When a user wants to select multiple items to do something with the items.
> Take a look at file explorer interfaces, or at music software like Winamp or
> Spotify:
>
> - select one or multiple objects
> - either all in a row (1-10)
> - or handpicked from the row of items (1, 4, 7, 10)
> - use the multiple items to do something, e.g. add them to a playlist of add
> them to another document because you want to make a list of links.
>
> This would be very powerful: a lot of editors of CMS'es have repeating
> tasks, like adding multiple links one by one to some document.

I'm not saying it's not a good idea ;-).  I think it would be great
for some use cases (e.g. the related documents Mathijs mentioned in
another thread).

Perhaps multi-select can also be generalized to the document listing;
select a number of documents (ctrl-click) and right-click to get a
context menu with workflow actions.  Publish, take offline, delete,
move all make sense with a collection of documents.  Actions like
'view in live environment', copy and rename might be odd.

Don't really see how it would fit into the rich text editor, though,
as links there need a text selection to make sense.  And I'm not sure
having multiple selections would be an improvement.

cheers, Frank

> This should be accompanied by another (not yet existing I think?) feature:
> having a list of 'last edited by me' documents in the linkpicker to use. I
> will make a seperate post to talk about this second idea...
>
> -----
> --
> Greetz, Gerrit

Re: Does Hippo has a Multiselect (link)picker?

Wouter Danes
What about making a (parameterisable) facet-select in the repo at the
root that selects the most recently edited X documents by the current user?
Does JCR support something like this? (user-specific structure..)

On 3-6-2011 18:03, Frank van Lankvelt wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 8:39 PM, Gerrit Berkouwer
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> This behaviour is quite normal in day-to-day software.
>> When a user wants to select multiple items to do something with the items.
>> Take a look at file explorer interfaces, or at music software like Winamp or
>> Spotify:
>>
>> - select one or multiple objects
>> - either all in a row (1-10)
>> - or handpicked from the row of items (1, 4, 7, 10)
>> - use the multiple items to do something, e.g. add them to a playlist of add
>> them to another document because you want to make a list of links.
>>
>> This would be very powerful: a lot of editors of CMS'es have repeating
>> tasks, like adding multiple links one by one to some document.
>>
> I'm not saying it's not a good idea ;-).  I think it would be great
> for some use cases (e.g. the related documents Mathijs mentioned in
> another thread).
>
> Perhaps multi-select can also be generalized to the document listing;
> select a number of documents (ctrl-click) and right-click to get a
> context menu with workflow actions.  Publish, take offline, delete,
> move all make sense with a collection of documents.  Actions like
> 'view in live environment', copy and rename might be odd.
>
> Don't really see how it would fit into the rich text editor, though,
> as links there need a text selection to make sense.  And I'm not sure
> having multiple selections would be an improvement.
>
> cheers, Frank
>

>> This should be accompanied by another (not yet existing I think?) feature:
>> having a list of 'last edited by me' documents in the linkpicker to use. I
>> will make a seperate post to talk about this second idea...
>>
>> -----
>> --
>> Greetz, Gerrit

Re: Does Hippo has a Multiselect (link)picker?

Frank van Lankvelt
I'm not sure about the exact syntax, but it is possible to set up a
facet navigation structure with the username as one of the facet
values.  So this would give a way of navigating the last 20 created
documents created by the user, or the last 20 documents that were
edited by the user.

When editors want to collaborate, a list of the latest created and/or
modified documents in the system might be more relevant.  Since the
node structure would be pretty much identical, it might even be
possible to reuse the same UI logic to support this use case.

cheers, Frank

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Does Hippo has a Multiselect (link)picker?

Vijay Kiran-3
Hi Marienette,

The problem with "Ctrl/Shift" multi select is you cannot select documents from multiple folders, at least it is not possible with the current link picker, since you need to navigate to different folders the the "detail" view changes to the listing effectively clearing your selection.

I think a 2 step process is much better where you get [+] or [Add] button or even a checkbox  on the document list, and when you click on it, the document is added to your [linked documents].

You can continue navigating to other folders and add links, and click on "OK" or "Add Links" to the document you are editing.

I hope I'm not skewing the usecase you are aiming for.

./Vijay

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Does Hippo has a Multiselect (link)picker?

Gerrit Berkouwer
This post was updated on .
We are going to work on this feature 'Multi-select linkpicker' next sprint. Here is a mockup. Any thoughts before we start?

Some characteristics:

- each document gets a [+] icon
- clicking the [+] icon adds this item to the list below
- title is NOT clickable. So also choosing 1 document goes via clicking the [+] icon...
- users can navigate through al folders and 'collect' links via the [+] icon
- collected links get a [x] icon, to delete form the list
- more than 5 links gives a vertical scrollbar
- clicking 'cancel' empties the link-list and closes the dialog

Re: Does Hippo has a Multiselect (link)picker?

Frank van Lankvelt
On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 11:19 AM, Gerrit Berkouwer
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> We are going to work on this feature 'Multi-select linkpicker' next sprint.

nice!  Keep us informed of your progress!

> Here is a mockup. Any thoughts before we start?

I think such a picker would be quite useful in a number of situations.
 The ordinary link picker (controller) is part of the cms api, so
ideally the multi-select picker would be similarly reusable.  Is this
what you will be working on, or are you aiming for something more
specific like an editor plugin?

> Some characteristics:
>
> - each document gets a [+] icon
> - clicking the [+] icon adds this item to the list below
> - title is NOT clickable. So also choosing 1 document goes via clicking the
> [+] icon...
> - users can navigate through al folders and 'collect' links via the [+] icon

Since the folder views in the CMS are pluggable, multi-select will
require some support from the existing base classes
(AbstractListingPlugin) to add e.g. the [+] icon based on some
configuration flag and to disable document selection.

> - collected links get a [x] icon, to delete form the list
> - more than 5 links gives a vertical scrollbar
> - clicking 'cancel' empties the link-list

that would be different behavior than what usually happens with
'cancel'.  We usually close the dialog.
Wouldn't it be better to have a separate 'Clear' button?

cheers, Frank

> http://hippo.2275632.n2.nabble.com/file/n7561477/Hippo_Multi-linkpicker.jpg
>
> -----
> --
> Greetz, Gerrit

Re: Does Hippo has a Multiselect (link)picker?

Gerrit Berkouwer
This post was updated on .
Frank, my mistake: clicking 'Cancel' clears the list and then offcourse closes the dialog...:-)

Re: Does Hippo has a Multiselect (link)picker?

Steven Grijzenhout
Hi Gerrit,

Another thought: I remember some use cases where we had to link to folders. Will it be possible to add folders to the list? See attached a mockup.

Steven

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 12:21 PM, Gerrit Berkouwer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Frank, my mistake: clicking 'Cancel' clears the list and then offcourse
closes the dialogue...:-)

-----

Hippo_Multi-linkpicker-folders.png (92K) Download Attachment