Facets

Johannes Maas

Hi All,

The wiki page (https://wiki.onehippo.com/display/CMS7/Faceted+Navigation+Configuration)  states:

At the moment faceted navigation takes place on direct properties of documents, not on properties of descendant nodes”

Can you tell me if it will be made possible to create facets on descending nodes, and if so, what is the roadmap?

Thanks in advance,

Best Regards,

Johannes Maas

Re: Facets

Adolfo Benedetti
Hi Johannes,

Maybe you can via "derived data function"[1] extracts the child's
property and write this value to a (hidden) property on the parent's
document? but if the property is a date field, consider this post[2]
from Jeroen Reijn,

Cheers,

Adolfo

[1]http://www.onehippo.org/cms7/documentation/development/content+repository/jcr/reference/derived_data.html
[2]http://blog.jeroenreijn.com/2011/12/make-date-range-queries-in-jackrabbit.html
--
Adolfo Benedetti
www.iprofs.nl

2012/3/5 Johannes Maas <[hidden email]>:

> Hi All,
>

> The wiki page
> (https://wiki.onehippo.com/display/CMS7/Faceted+Navigation+Configuration)
>  states:
>

> “At the moment faceted navigation takes place on direct properties of
> documents, not on properties of descendant nodes”
>

> Can you tell me if it will be made possible to create facets on descending
> nodes, and if so, what is the roadmap?
>

> Thanks in advance,
>

> Best Regards,
>
> Johannes Maas

RE: Facets

Johannes Maas

Hi Adolfo,

Thanks for your quick feedback, its highly appreciated (also by Paul ;)

Deriving the data actually is our fallback plan, good to see that it’s a valid plan.

Best Regards,

Johannes

Maybe you can via "derived data function"[1] extracts the child's
property and write this value to a (hidden) property on the parent's
document? but if the property is a date field, consider this post[2]
from Jeroen Reijn,

Cheers,

Adolfo

[1]http://www.onehippo.org/cms7/documentation/development/content+repository/jcr/reference/derived_data.html
[2]http://blog.jeroenreijn.com/2011/12/make-date-range-queries-in-jackrabbit.html
--
Adolfo Benedetti
www.iprofs.nl

2012/3/5 Johannes Maas <[hidden email]>:

> Hi All,
>

> The wiki page
> (https://wiki.onehippo.com/display/CMS7/Faceted+Navigation+Configuration)
>  states:
>

> “At the moment faceted navigation takes place on direct properties of
> documents, not on properties of descendant nodes”
>

> Can you tell me if it will be made possible to create facets on descending
> nodes, and if so, what is the roadmap?
>

> Thanks in advance,
>

> Best Regards,
>
> Johannes Maas

http://hippo.2275632.n2.nabble.com/Facets-tp7344525p7344591.html

To start a new topic under Hippo CMS 7, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Hippo CMS 7, click here.
NAML

Re: Facets

Wouter Danes-2
As long as it's not a multi value property, you're fine.
When it's a multi-value property things get nasty, because the Derived Data Engine doesn't support those.
Jeroen Reijn and myself hacked something together, but it's fairly error prone. It uses a daemon module that gets passed a UUID by the derived data engine.

Wouter Danes
Engineer – Hippo / Tridion / Java

Hinttech B.V.
Delftechpark 37i
2628 XJ Delft
www.hinttech.nl

E: [hidden email]
M: +31 6 1158 8264

www.iprofs.nl<http://www.iprofs.nl>

2012/3/5 Johannes Maas <[hidden email]</user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=7344591&i=0>>:

> Hi All,
>

> The wiki page
> (https://wiki.onehippo.com/display/CMS7/Faceted+Navigation+Configurati
> on)
>  states:
>

> “At the moment faceted navigation takes place on direct properties of
> documents, not on properties of descendant nodes”
>

> Can you tell me if it will be made possible to create facets on
> descending nodes, and if so, what is the roadmap?
>

> Thanks in advance,
>

> Best Regards,
>
> Johannes Maas

NAML<
http://hippo.2275632.n2.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

RE: Facets

Johannes Maas

Thanks Wouter, we did some tests and indeed see the issue with multi values, looks like we’ll have to start hacking it a little bit ourselves too. Or maybe create our own deriver and attach it to the workflow. Thanks again for noting the issue, we’ll be doing some more tests to see what works best in our case.

Best Regards,

Johannes Maas

http://hippo.2275632.n2.nabble.com/Facets-tp7344525p7344869.html

To start a new topic under Hippo CMS 7, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Hippo CMS 7, click here.
NAML

Re: Facets

Ard
Hello Johannes,

All the previous mails in this thread are correct but I'd like to also
give some more background:

The difficulty of doing faceted navigation on properties of child
nodes is that these properties then need to be indexed on some
ancestor (the document) node. Obviously, the 'facet' is then actually
some path (for example address/street if you'd like to do faceted
navigation on the street of an address compound). However, it easily
becomes complex, takes more indexing space, more complex indexing
configuration (you need to be able to tune this as developer) etc etc.
And also, there is a real hard problem, namely, the cross-matching
(see slide 3 from [1])

So, instead of putting efforts in this area, I'd like for the future
rather work on seamless Solr integration that can also expose faceted
navigation structures. With Solr in place, you as a developer will
also be in the driving seat how you'd like your documents to be
indexed. So, in that case, if you'd like to index properties of child
nodes as facets, you just do so in your HippoBean. Hopefully more on
this in the short future

Regards Ard

[1] http://www.slideshare.net/MarkHarwood/proposal-for-nested-document-support-in-lucene

On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 4:08 PM, Johannes Maas
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks Wouter, we did some tests and indeed see the issue with multi values, looks like we’ll have to start hacking it a little bit ourselves too. Or maybe create our own deriver and attach it to the workflow. Thanks again for noting the issue, we’ll be doing some more tests to see what works best in our case.
>
> Best Regards,
> Johannes Maas

RE: Facets

Johannes Maas

Hello Ard

Thanks for your explanation and view on the future. We fully see in the implications as you describe them, it’s a tricky subject matter. Nice to read your are thinking Solr, please keep me posted when you have something on the roadmap. We might be able to contribute.

We solve our case at hand with some back-flips, at this point I won’t invest in a full blown solution but wait to see what your roadmap does.

http://hippo.2275632.n2.nabble.com/Facets-tp7344525p7347857.html

To start a new topic under Hippo CMS 7, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Hippo CMS 7,
click here.
NAML

Re: Facets

Ard
On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 5:30 PM, Johannes Maas
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello Ard
>
> Thanks for your explanation and view on the future. We fully see in the implications as you describe them, it’s a tricky subject matter. Nice to read your are thinking Solr, please keep me posted when you have something on the roadmap. We might be able to contribute.

It is already on the roadmap to be sure.

You can always contribute already by indicating what you are missing,
would like to have, or how you would like to have it working.

Lining up some more customers who all might benefit from it would also
be great :-)))

Regards Ard and thanks for your offer, highly appreciated

http://hippo.2275632.n2.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>