Feature request: Having a Url box on top of channel managers will be help full

Feature request: Having a Url box on top of channel managers will be help full

Ebrahim
Hi

Currently in the channel manager there is no indication of what page is being viewed, so I suggest a URL box to be added on top of the channel manager which displays the URL of page currently being viewed. Also it would be nice if one could navigate to a page via typing the URL of the page manually. I have seen very often that editors create a new page via the sitemap designer and since there are no links to the new page they can not get to the page in the channel manager.
Also it would be helpful for the webmasters if you can display type of the page next to the URL box mentioned so that the webmaster knows which page he or she is currently editing.

Best Regards
Ebrahim Aharpour

Re: Feature request: Having a Url box on top of channel managers will be help full

Bert Leunis
Hello Ebrahim,

Thanks very much for your suggestions. You are right: the preview in the Channel Manager now relies strongly on having preview content already in place. So if you want to edit the layout of, say, the FAQ page template, but there is no way to navigate there from the homepage, you are stuck. I usually create some default or demo content FAQ in the cms in that case, and create a (temporary) link to that page on my homepage content. Not the most ideal way, but it works as a workaround.

I myself would like to see a list of templates there, and be able to choose from that. Don't know if that is really easy to achieve. Your suggestion of at least showing the url you are in the CM sounds as a nice improvement, just as displaying the name of the template you are looking at there.

So 1 +1 from me!

Bert Leunis

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 2:56 PM, Ebrahim <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

Currently in the channel manager there is no indication of what page is
being viewed, so I suggest a URL box to be added on top of the channel
manager which displays the URL of page currently being viewed. Also it would
be nice if one could navigate to a page via typing the URL of the page
manually. I have seen very often that editors create a new page via the
sitemap designer and since there are no links to the new page they can not
get to the page in the channel manager.
Also it would be helpful for the webmasters if you can display type of the
page next to the URL box mentioned so that the webmaster knows which page he
or she is currently editing.

Best Regards
Ebrahim Aharpour

Re: Feature request: Having a Url box on top of channel managers will be help full

briansnijders
2 +1 from me on that! Having the same issues here :-)

--
Met vriendelijke groet,

Brian Snijders
Software Engineer

Finalist -  open IT oplossingen
Amsterdam - Eindhoven - Maarssen - Maastricht - Rotterdam

088 217 08 43
06 455 400 83
http://www.finalist.nl

On Mon, 2012-07-02 at 13:49 +0200, Bert Leunis wrote:
[...]

Ard
+1 from me as well!

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 2:56 PM, Brian Snijders <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

US <a href="tel:%2B1%20877%20414%204776" value="+18774144776" target="_blank">+1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
Europe <a href="tel:%2B31%280%2920%20522%204466" value="+31205224466" target="_blank">+31(0)20 522 4466
www.onehippo.com

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 1:49 PM, Bert Leunis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Ebrahim,
>
> Thanks very much for your suggestions. You are right: the preview in the
> Channel Manager now relies strongly on having preview content already in
> place. So if you want to edit the layout of, say, the FAQ page template, but
> there is no way to navigate there from the homepage, you are stuck. I
> usually create some default or demo content FAQ in the cms in that case, and
> create a (temporary) link to that page on my homepage content. Not the most
> ideal way, but it works as a workaround.
>
> I myself would like to see a list of templates there, and be able to choose
> from that. Don't know if that is really easy to achieve. Your suggestion of
> at least showing the url you are in the CM sounds as a nice improvement,
> just as displaying the name of the template you are looking at there.
>
> So 1 +1 from me!

Showing the (live) URL would indeed be a very nice visual improvement;
making it editable would be the next functional step.  +1 for both.

For navigating the url space, I would propose to use the sitemap
instead of the list of templates.

cheers, Frank

> With kind regards/Met vriendelijke groet,
> Bert Leunis

> On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 2:56 PM, Ebrahim <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> Currently in the channel manager there is no indication of what page is
>> being viewed, so I suggest a URL box to be added on top of the channel
>> manager which displays the URL of page currently being viewed. Also it
>> would
>> be nice if one could navigate to a page via typing the URL of the page
>> manually. I have seen very often that editors create a new page via the
>> sitemap designer and since there are no links to the new page they can not
>> get to the page in the channel manager.
>> Also it would be helpful for the webmasters if you can display type of the
>> page next to the URL box mentioned so that the webmaster knows which page
>> he
>> or she is currently editing.
>>
>> Best Regards
>> Ebrahim Aharpour

Re: Feature request: Having a Url box on top of channel managers will be help full

Ard
On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 10:54 AM, Frank van Lankvelt
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 1:49 PM, Bert Leunis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello Ebrahim,
>>
>> Thanks very much for your suggestions. You are right: the preview in the
>> Channel Manager now relies strongly on having preview content already in
>> place. So if you want to edit the layout of, say, the FAQ page template, but
>> there is no way to navigate there from the homepage, you are stuck. I
>> usually create some default or demo content FAQ in the cms in that case, and
>> create a (temporary) link to that page on my homepage content. Not the most
>> ideal way, but it works as a workaround.
>>
>> I myself would like to see a list of templates there, and be able to choose
>> from that. Don't know if that is really easy to achieve. Your suggestion of
>> at least showing the url you are in the CM sounds as a nice improvement,
>> just as displaying the name of the template you are looking at there.
>>
>> So 1 +1 from me!
>>
> Showing the (live) URL would indeed be a very nice visual improvement;
> making it editable would be the next functional step.  +1 for both.

I think we can leave out editable for now. We can just ask the hst for
the live URL of the current preview document...hmmm, the URL given the
fact that the preview document would be published :-))

Ard