Get HippoBean that made request

dennis.vis
Good day all,

I'm trying to implement a simple crumb trail. This trail should only show on one document type and only when the request is coming from one of two specific document types. I thought I solved this by setting session attributes, which get set only by the correct document types. But they do not get set when the back button of the browser is used. I therefore need a more robust solution.
I was thinking that it should be possible to trace from which HippoBean the initial request came from. This, however, does not seem as straightforward as I would like. There does not seem to be a method that does this, nor a method that lets me search for a HippoBean by URL (I could use the HTTP header 'referer' for this).
Any ideas on how this could be done? Or is there by chance a method for this that I am overlooking? Thank you in advance for any assistance you can give me!

Kind regards,

Dennis Vis
Consultant | Incentro Rotterdam

Fascinatio Boulevard 562-4
Capelle aan den IJssel, The Netherlands, 2909 VA

E: [hidden email]
T: +31102020544
M: +31640801868
W: www.incentro.com
Logo Incentro

Re: Get HippoBean that made request

Wouter Danes-2

Are you sure the customer really wants a “real” crumb trail where you see where you were before or does the customer want a bread crumb that tells him “where” in the hierarchy of the site you are?

In the 2nd case you can derive the bread crumb from the (resolved) site map items.

Re: Get HippoBean that made request

Wouter Danes-2

Are you creating a site with more than one site server? Is the infrastructure stateless?

If any of those two questions answer with “yes”, then a session is out of the question.

Interesting requirement btw, you normally don’t see them wanting a breadcrumb like that.

Maybe you can use “ugh” a cookie.. But I still think you’re better off going off the site map and creating a different context for browse/search pages. So you can reach Document A in two ways:

www.example.com/search/document-a.html

www.example.com/browse/document-a.html

That way you can relate the bread crumb from the sitemap/url and you also have a url that “makes sense” in the context.

Re: Get HippoBean that made request

Paul van der Zandt
Hi Dennis,

Looking at your requirement I think you are sentenced to use JavaScript to make this happen. One thing that is mostly/always forgotten when you want to show a 'click-trail' breadcrumb (even if it is to be used on only a few specific pages), is that a browser caches you page. And if your browser doesn't, then probably the (apache) web server will cache the page for you. In this last case it could happen that a cached page is presented to several users and that cached page will then show a trail that was not followed by that user.
You could use an Ajax-like solution to make a specific (non-cahced) call to the server that persists the trail for you. Javascript will be executed every time a page is rendered, even if it comes from the cache.

Cheers,
Paul.

Re: Get HippoBean that made request

dennis.vis
Hey guys,

Sorry! I totally forgot to thank you both for your assistance!
I realize this is not a standard requirement, but it is in the (not so great) design so the customer wants it.
I have therefore given them the choice of either leaving my current solution in place or implementing the breadcrumb using JavaScript like Paul suggested.
Thank you both for your answers! You have been most helpful!

2013/1/11 Zandt, Paul van der <[hidden email]>
[...]

abhishek bhardwaj
Hi all,

I just want 2 know how to send an activation link mail to user then after clicking link it will redirect it to the page as i want to redirect..

Thanx
abhishek bhardwaj

Op 11 jan. 2013 12:23 schreef "Dennis Vis" <[hidden email]> het volgende:

> Good day all,
>
> I'm trying to implement a simple crumb trail. This trail should only show on one document type and only when the request is coming from one of two specific document types. I thought I solved this by setting session attributes, which get set only by the correct document types. But they do not get set when the back button of the browser is used. I therefore need a more robust solution.
> I was thinking that it should be possible to trace from which HippoBean the initial request came from. This, however, does not seem as straightforward as I would like. There does not seem to be a method that does this, nor a

Would you expect a method for such an edge case?

method that lets me search for a HippoBean by URL (I could use the HTTP header 'referer' for this).
> Any ideas on how this could be done? Or is there by chance a method for this that I am overlooking?

Either use the referer info and resolve it to a sitemapitem and bean or use http sessions to store the info (which makes sticky sessions in case of clustering mandatory) or just set the last visited bean path as cookie....that should be trivial and supports clustering without need for sticky sessions.

Regards ard