Getting Started: Demo contains errors

Martin Sturm
Hi all,

I'm testing Hippo Portal and experienced some troubles while trying to
follow the 'Getting Started: Demo' guide (http://www.hippoportal.org/demo/index.html
).
First of all, the documentation is outdated on some aspects. It says
you have to check out demo-pa and demo-portal from https://svn.hippocms.org/repos/hippo/hippo-portal/trunk/demo-pa
  (and demo-portal), but these url's require authentication (probably
the non-secured http://svn.hippocms.org should be manted, which
doesn'r require authentication).

Secontly, if you use the trunk, you get a version which is much newer
than the version used in the tutorial (at least, that is my guess),
since the build target 'all' is not know. I solved this issue by
explicitly getting the 1.07.01 version using the SVN url http://svn.hippocms.org/repos/hippo/hippo-portal/tags/Release-PORTAL-v1_07_01
That version will compile using the 'maven all' command.

Unfortunately, it sitll doesn't work as expected when I follow the
guidelines in that document (with my personal modifcations). When
running demo-portal using Tomcat 5.5.27 and the recommended
repository, I get the error HTTP Status 404 - No page matched /
request in site view.  Accompanied by the following stack trace in de
jetspeed.log file:
2009-05-18 14:32:00,009 [http-8080-Processor24] ERROR
org.apache.jetspeed.profiler.impl.ProfilerValveImpl - No page
matched / request in site view.
org.apache.jetspeed.page.document.NodeNotFoundException: No page
matched / request in site view.
    at
org
.apache
.jetspeed
.portalsite
.impl
.PortalSiteSessionContextImpl
.selectRequestPage(PortalSiteSessionContextImpl.java:645)
    at
org
.apache
.jetspeed
.portalsite
.impl
.PortalSiteSessionContextImpl
.selectRequestPage(PortalSiteSessionContextImpl.java:228)
        [...]

I'm accessing the page using http://preview.localhost:8080/demo-portal
(and preview.localhost is mapped to localhost). I'm not able to get
something meaningful on the screen using the current guide, and my
knowledge of Hippo Portal/Jetspeed is currently unsufficient to get it
working.

Everything runs on Mac OS X 10.5 using a MySQL database.

Hopefully, someone can help me with the latter problem, and can update
the documentation in order to avoid new users to suffer from similar
problems.

Martin Sturm

Finalist IT Group - never stop developing!
http://www.finalist.com
E: [hidden email]
T: +31882170882
M: +31615529147

Re: Getting Started: Demo contains errors

Ate Douma-3
Hi Martin,

Thanks for reporting these issues.
You are right the current online documentation is not up to date and I'll see to it to get it refreshed ASAP.
I will notify here on this list when this is done.

Additionally, I'll look into the error you encountered later this week and will try to reproduce.
I will keep you posted on that here as well.

Regards,

Ate Douma

Martin Sturm wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm testing Hippo Portal and experienced some troubles while trying to
> follow the 'Getting Started: Demo' guide
> (http://www.hippoportal.org/demo/index.html).
> First of all, the documentation is outdated on some aspects. It says you
> have to check out demo-pa and demo-portal from
> https://svn.hippocms.org/repos/hippo/hippo-portal/trunk/demo-pa (and
> demo-portal), but these url's require authentication (probably the
> non-secured http://svn.hippocms.org should be manted, which doesn'r
> require authentication).
>
> Secontly, if you use the trunk, you get a version which is much newer
> than the version used in the tutorial (at least, that is my guess),
> since the build target 'all' is not know. I solved this issue by
> explicitly getting the 1.07.01 version using the SVN url
> http://svn.hippocms.org/repos/hippo/hippo-portal/tags/Release-PORTAL-v1_07_01
>
> That version will compile using the 'maven all' command.
>
> Unfortunately, it sitll doesn't work as expected when I follow the
> guidelines in that document (with my personal modifcations). When
> running demo-portal using Tomcat 5.5.27 and the recommended repository,
> I get the error HTTP Status 404 - No page matched / request in site
> view.  Accompanied by the following stack trace in de jetspeed.log file:
> 2009-05-18 14:32:00,009 [http-8080-Processor24] ERROR
> org.apache.jetspeed.profiler.impl.ProfilerValveImpl - No page matched /
> request in site view.
> org.apache.jetspeed.page.document.NodeNotFoundException: No page matched
> / request in site view.
>    at
> org.apache.jetspeed.portalsite.impl.PortalSiteSessionContextImpl.selectRequestPage(PortalSiteSessionContextImpl.java:645)
>
>    at
> org.apache.jetspeed.portalsite.impl.PortalSiteSessionContextImpl.selectRequestPage(PortalSiteSessionContextImpl.java:228)
>
>     [...]
>
> I'm accessing the page using http://preview.localhost:8080/demo-portal
> (and preview.localhost is mapped to localhost). I'm not able to get
> something meaningful on the screen using the current guide, and my
> knowledge of Hippo Portal/Jetspeed is currently unsufficient to get it
> working.
>
> Everything runs on Mac OS X 10.5 using a MySQL database.
>
> Hopefully, someone can help me with the latter problem, and can update
> the documentation in order to avoid new users to suffer from similar
> problems.

> Martin Sturm
>
> Finalist IT Group - never stop developing!
> http://www.finalist.com
> E: [hidden email]
> T: +31882170882
> M: +31615529147

[hidden email]  www.onehippo.com

Amsterdam     - Hippo B.V. Oosteinde 11 1017 WT Amsterdam +31(0)20-5224466
San Francisco - Hippo USA Inc. 101 H Street, suite Q Petaluma CA 94952-5100 +1(877) 41-HIPPO

Re: Getting Started: Demo contains errors

Jeroen Hoffman
Hi Martin,

I just had a look at this (finally) and have the following comments:

- you're right about the https/http

- Maven-1 goal 'all' does exist in the latest trunk, see line 60 of
http://svn.hippocms.org/repos/hippo/hippo-portal/trunk/demo-portal/maven.xml.
This goal will build the demo-pa and the demo-portal. Maybe you were in the
demo-pa dir instead of the demo-portal?

- I used a fresh Tomcat 5.5.27 downloaded from
http://tomcat.apache.org/download-55.cgi that requires a different setting
compared to 5.5.23 and before. In the context file
<tomcat>/conf/Catalina/localhost/demo-portal.xml, the Realm attribute
useContextClassLoader has to be set to "true". This is not documented yet.

I agree that the documentation needs an update!

Jeroen Hoffman

Martin Sturm schreef:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm testing Hippo Portal and experienced some troubles while trying to
> follow the 'Getting Started: Demo' guide
> (http://www.hippoportal.org/demo/index.html).
> First of all, the documentation is outdated on some aspects. It says you
> have to check out demo-pa and demo-portal from
> https://svn.hippocms.org/repos/hippo/hippo-portal/trunk/demo-pa (and
> demo-portal), but these url's require authentication (probably the
> non-secured http://svn.hippocms.org should be manted, which doesn'r
> require authentication).
>
> Secontly, if you use the trunk, you get a version which is much newer
> than the version used in the tutorial (at least, that is my guess),
> since the build target 'all' is not know. I solved this issue by
> explicitly getting the 1.07.01 version using the SVN url
> http://svn.hippocms.org/repos/hippo/hippo-portal/tags/Release-PORTAL-v1_07_01
>
> That version will compile using the 'maven all' command.
>
> Unfortunately, it sitll doesn't work as expected when I follow the
> guidelines in that document (with my personal modifcations). When
> running demo-portal using Tomcat 5.5.27 and the recommended repository,
> I get the error HTTP Status 404 - No page matched / request in site
> view.  Accompanied by the following stack trace in de jetspeed.log file:
> 2009-05-18 14:32:00,009 [http-8080-Processor24] ERROR
> org.apache.jetspeed.profiler.impl.ProfilerValveImpl - No page matched /
> request in site view.
> org.apache.jetspeed.page.document.NodeNotFoundException: No page matched
> / request in site view.
>    at
> org.apache.jetspeed.portalsite.impl.PortalSiteSessionContextImpl.selectRequestPage(PortalSiteSessionContextImpl.java:645)
>
>    at
> org.apache.jetspeed.portalsite.impl.PortalSiteSessionContextImpl.selectRequestPage(PortalSiteSessionContextImpl.java:228)
>
>     [...]
>
> I'm accessing the page using http://preview.localhost:8080/demo-portal
> (and preview.localhost is mapped to localhost). I'm not able to get
> something meaningful on the screen using the current guide, and my
> knowledge of Hippo Portal/Jetspeed is currently unsufficient to get it
> working.
>
> Everything runs on Mac OS X 10.5 us ing a MySQL database.
>
> Hopefully, someone can help me with the latter problem, and can update
> the documentation in order to avoid new users to suffer from similar
> problems.

> Martin Sturm
>
> Finalist IT Group - never stop developing!
> http://www.finalist.com
> E: [hidden email]
> T: +31882170882
> M: +31615529147

Re: Getting Started: Demo contains errors

Martin Sturm
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I didn't look anymore into this issue, since
we're upgraded tot Jetspeed 2.2.0 with the latest HST2, which is
working pretty well I must say.

Related to this: are there any plans to provide additional
documentation on the latter combination? Because at the moment, it is
pretty hard to find information about this combination.

Martin Sturm

Finalist IT Group - never stop developing!
http://www.finalist.com
E: [hidden email]
T: +31882170882
M: +31615529147

Op 16 jun 2009, om 14:07 heeft Jeroen Hoffman het volgende geschreven: