Hippo 7 vs Hippo 6

JunNi

Hi all,

I am a Hippo 6 user and evaluating Hippo 7. I understand that Hippo 7 is completely re-written based on different technologies. However, I can’t stop having questions when comparing the two.

So here they are:

1. Repository

  a. The new repository is based on JCR. Seems that it comes with the CMS pre-built package (I haven’t try building from scratch yet) rather than two packages one for cms and one for repository. So my first question is, can I run the repository on a different server? What about clustering?

  b. In Hippo 6, I was able to view the file content via http in the xml format I defined. Can I do that in Hippo 7? I know I can get to the file contents at http://localhost:8080/cms/repository/content, but it’s no longer a simple xml that I can just take and use? Are the contents now stored in different formats in Hippo 7?

  c. What about webdav access to the repository?

  d. Hippo 6 used OpenJMS to broadcast messages. We were able to tap into the ojms and receive updates from it as a work around for making slow dasl queries for the recent updates. Do we have something similar in Hippo 7? Or were the performance issue in Hippo 6 already being addressed, such that we don’t need to do this kind of workaround anymore? Are there alternatives?

2. Document type

  a. In Hippo 6, I can define the xml format of each document type. In Hippo 7, it seems that I can only define the caption of each widget, but what is the underlying data format?

  b. Hippo 6 had a lot of cool widgets, but we only seem to have a handful of them in Hippo 7. Do you have plans to add more widgets in?

  c. Hippo 6 uses Xinha as the rich text editor. It’s an older version with some issues, but it had the functionalities we wanted. What does Hippo 7 uses? The rich text editor seems to have only limited functionalities (btw, I looked into the Rich Text Editor config email thread, and got completely lost there). To be specific, the issue we are trying to address was clearing up MS Word specific tags properly upon paste. We know that the older Xinha can’t do a good job, and it can’t interpret the bullets and numbered list well. I tested the new Xinha and it seems to do the job. Hippo 7’s rich text editor still has that problem though, so that was a disappointment to me.

  d. In Hippo 6 I can specify the preview urls, as well as limiting document types in per directory bases. Can I do that in Hippo 7? (actually, where is preview in Hippo 7?)

3. Data migration

  a. how difficult would it be for us to migrate existing data and document type definitions to hippo 7? We are talking about 30k+ documents here.

That’s just a starter for all my questions on Hippo 7. I would really appreciate it if someone could help me find my way around in Hippo 7.

Thanks!

Jun

Re: Hippo 7 vs Hippo 6

Hi Jun,

great to hear you're looking our new products! :-)

[hidden email] wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am a Hippo 6 user and evaluating Hippo 7. I understand that Hippo 7 is
> completely re-written based on different technologies. However, I can’t
> stop having questions when comparing the two.
>
> So here they are:
>
> 1. Repository
>
>   a. The new repository is based on JCR. Seems that it comes with the
> CMS pre-built package (I haven’t try building from scratch yet) rather
> than two packages one for cms and one for repository. So my first
> question is, can I run the repository on a different server? What about
> clustering?

As far as I know, you can run the repository and CMS on a different
server. I think it is possible, since the 2.04.00 alpha release. I would
like to emphasize that this is not a stable release. I have not found
any documentation about how to do it, but I'm currently working on a
project that has been setup this way. So somebody out there can probably
elaborate on it and otherwise I will give it a go and try to figure it out.

Clustering is also supported, but the documentation still lacks the
description of this feature. I know that we are already using it in a
project and it's working quite nicely. I think that we're using the
basic JackRabbit Clustering, but I'm not 100% sure about that. It might
be that somebody also can elaborate on that. See
http://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/Clustering for more information.

>   b. In Hippo 6, I was able to view the file content via http in the xml
> format I defined. Can I do that in Hippo 7? I know I can get to the file
> contents at http://localhost:8080/cms/repository/content, but it’s no
> longer a simple xml that I can just take and use? Are the contents now
> stored in different formats in Hippo 7?

Yes the content is now stored as JCR nodes (according to the JCR spec
(see jsr-170), but the repository has an XML export functionality. You
could have a look at the CMS console. (should be located at
http://localhost:8080/cms/console).

>   c. What about webdav access to the repository?

Internally the repository is using the Apache Jackrabbit repository.
Jackrabbit supports a webdav interface, so as far as I know it should be
possible to have webdav access to the repository. It's not the preferred
way to connect to the repository though.

>   d. Hippo 6 used OpenJMS to broadcast messages. We were able to tap
> into the ojms and receive updates from it as a work around for making
> slow dasl queries for the recent updates. Do we have something similar
> in Hippo 7? Or were the performance issue in Hippo 6 already being
> addressed, such that we don’t need to do this kind of workaround
> anymore? Are there alternatives?

I'm not sure what performance issues you were experiencing with Hrep 1.2
. It might be useful if you could share your repository version number
and issue on the cms 6 list, so we can help you out there.

The new repository has a similar mechanism, but with a different name:
observations. You can attach a listener to repository, that can listen
to your changes.

> 2. Document type
>
>   a. In Hippo 6, I can define the xml format of each document type. In
> Hippo 7, it seems that I can only define the caption of each widget, but
> what is the underlying data format?

The answer to this question is a bit of a story itself. I'll try to
describe some concepts. The data format now is based on nodes, properties.

Each document template is stored as a bunch of nodes and properties.
Each node is based on a nodetype (customizable). Each property is of
type String,Double..etc. see [1] for more information

A CMS 7 backend template can be created either by adding nodes or
configuring the backend template in XML format.(have a look at the XML
export of such a nodetype)

It has the similar concepts like with CMS6 (layout/template/schema),
which is now called
(layout=hippo:template,template=hippo:prototype,schema=hippo:nodetype).

One of the advantages of the new JCR repository is that you can also
enforce the schema on the repository side, by creating a nodetype
definition. Have a look at [1] for more information.

The way such a field is presented in the CMS is based on an Apache
Wicket plugin. Which will give you all the power of AJAX widgets, etc..

If you want to create custom widgets or fields [2] should give you a
starting point.

>   b. Hippo 6 had a lot of cool widgets, but we only seem to have a
> handful of them in Hippo 7. Do you have plans to add more widgets in?

Yes. What you see now is only the current 'base' system. We're already
adding new widgets in the Hippo Forge (http://forge.onehippo.org). In
the end we want to have even more widgets then before :-)

>   c. Hippo 6 uses Xinha as the rich text editor. It’s an older version
> with some issues, but it had the functionalities we wanted. What does
> Hippo 7 uses? The rich text editor seems to have only limited
> functionalities (btw, I looked into the Rich Text Editor config email
> thread, and got completely lost there). To be specific, the issue we are
> trying to address was clearing up MS Word specific tags properly upon
> paste. We know that the older Xinha can’t do a good job, and it can’t
> interpret the bullets and numbered list well. I tested the new Xinha and
> it seems to do the job. Hippo 7’s rich text editor still has that
> problem though, so that was a disappointment to me.

The latest version of Xinha is being used (as far as I know) in the CMS
7 now. So it must be a configuration issue if you tried the online demo
of Xinha. Don't be fooled by the default configuration of the rich-text
field. This is customizable. So you should be able to enable all
plugins/buttons like you had before. Also since the 2.04.00 alpha
release we added a htmlcleaner, to keep your rich-text fields nice and
clean of junk.

>   d. In Hippo 6 I can specify the preview urls, as well as limiting
> document types in per directory bases. Can I do that in Hippo 7?
> (actually, where is preview in Hippo 7?)

Yes you are able to limit document types per directory base again.
Nothing changed there. The preview button will be something on the roadmap.

> 3. Data migration
>
>   a. how difficult would it be for us to migrate existing data and
> document type definitions to hippo 7? We are talking about 30k+
> documents here.

According to the roadmap, there will be more information about this in
the near future. See: http://www.onehippo.org/cms7/about/roadmap.html

> That’s just a starter for all my questions on Hippo 7. I would really
> appreciate it if someone could help me find my way around in Hippo 7.

Sure I'm glad to help.

I noticed David has also answered some of your questions in the
meantime. I was still typing this email, but I hope both answers will
give you some more insight. Feel free to ask everything you want to
know. :-)

[1]http://jackrabbit.apache.org/node-type-notation.html
[2]http://www.onehippo.org/cms7/delve_into/custom/howto/customize_editing_template.html