Hippo Site Toolkit 2 Guide Howto: Facebook

Hippo Site Toolkit 2 Guide Howto: Facebook

Berend Mulder

Re: Hippo Site Toolkit 2 Guide Howto: Facebook

Niels van Kampenhout
Hi Berend,

Berend Mulder wrote:

> I've run through multiple iterations of this HowTo, but i keep running
> into problems where the content i create just doesnt get displayed.
>
> The Hello World example works fine, so my gut feeling is that my
> problems are in the site/frontend part of the site.
>
> If anyone can assist in pinpointing where i go wrong, it would be much
> appreciated.
>
> Below I've included the steps i took from the Howto and results.
>
> 1. create project using archetype & maven 2.09: success using fallback
> 2. create document type in project: success
> 3. add mandatory string field, optional picture: success
> 4. update all content: success
> 5. create folder next to pagecontent: success
> 6. create person documents: success
> 7. create people.jsp: success
> 8: console access: success
> 9: add node at /hst:configuration/hst:configuration/hst:modules : success
> 10: add property hst:template : success
> 11: add property hst:contentlocation: success
> 12: root, save, OK : success
> 13: create node structure under hst:sitemap (next to default and
> homepage) : success
> 14: add properties to node structure: succes
> 15: root, save, OK : success
> 16: URL :  /preview/facebook : FAIL 404
>
> I used the jetty webcontainer.

Thanks for reporting this. I was able to reproduce the problem and
noticed the following warning in the logs:

09.02.2009 10:04:58 WARN
[org.hippoecm.hst.core.template.tag.LayoutModulesTag.doStartTag():114]
ServletException: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.hippoecm.hst.core.template.module.listdisplay.ListDisplayModule for
template page: /jsp/modules/people.jsp

Apparently the ListDisplayModule class used in the JSP has been removed
(or perhaps renamed?) after the documentation was written/published.

As stated on the homepage of the site toolkit documentation, the toolkit
is a work in progress and the documentation is lagging begind a little
bit awaiting the new release. Apologies for the trouble we got you in,
but please bear with us.

In the meantime, can any of the site toolkit developers suggest a
replacement module for ListDisplayModule?

As soon as I have time I will update the facebook howto.

Thanks,
Niels

Re: Hippo Site Toolkit 2 Guide Howto: Facebook

Hi Berend/Niels,

this might not be the best solution (it should works) , but try the
following code snippit:

<hst-tmpl:module name="people" var="people"
   className="org.hippoecm.hst.components.modules.content.ContentModule"
   execute="false" render="true" />

<c:forEach var="person" items="${people.nodes}">
   <c:if test="${person.isHandle}">
     <c:set var="document" value="${person.node[person.name]}"/>
          <hst-tmpl:link var="link" item="${document}" />
            <a title="${document.property['myproject:name']}" href="${link.href}">
              <b>${document.property['myproject:name']}</b>
            </a>
   </c:if>
</c:forEach>

Once the refactoring of the HST2 is finished we should update the
documentation. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Niels van Kampenhout wrote:

> Hi Berend,
>
> Berend Mulder wrote:
>> I've run through multiple iterations of this HowTo, but i keep running
>> into problems where the content i create just doesnt get displayed.
>>
>> The Hello World example works fine, so my gut feeling is that my
>> problems are in the site/frontend part of the site.
>>
>> If anyone can assist in pinpointing where i go wrong, it would be much
>> appreciated.
>>
>> Below I've included the steps i took from the Howto and results.
>>
>> 1. create project using archetype & maven 2.09: success using fallback
>> 2. create document type in project: success
>> 3. add mandatory string field, optional picture: success
>> 4. update all content: success
>> 5. create folder next to pagecontent: success
>> 6. create person documents: success
>> 7. create people.jsp: success
>> 8: console access: success
>> 9: add node at /hst:configuration/hst:configuration/hst:modules : success
>> 10: add property hst:template : success
>> 11: add property hst:contentlocation: success
>> 12: root, save, OK : success
>> 13: create node structure under hst:sitemap (next to default and
>> homepage) : success
>> 14: add properties to node structure: succes
>> 15: root, save, OK : success
>> 16: URL :  /preview/facebook : FAIL 404
>>
>> I used the jetty webcontainer.
>
> Thanks for reporting this. I was able to reproduce the problem and
> noticed the following warning in the logs:
>
> 09.02.2009 10:04:58 WARN
> [org.hippoecm.hst.core.template.tag.LayoutModulesTag.doStartTag():114]
> ServletException: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
> org.hippoecm.hst.core.template.module.listdisplay.ListDisplayModule for
> template page: /jsp/modules/people.jsp
>
> Apparently the ListDisplayModule class used in the JSP has been removed
> (or perhaps renamed?) after the documentation was written/published.
>
> As stated on the homepage of the site toolkit documentation, the toolkit
> is a work in progress and the documentation is lagging begind a little
> bit awaiting the new release. Apologies for the trouble we got you in,
> but please bear with us.
>
> In the meantime, can any of the site toolkit developers suggest a
> replacement module for ListDisplayModule?
>
> As soon as I have time I will update the facebook howto.
>
> Thanks,
> Niels

RE: Hippo Site Toolkit 2 Guide Howto: Facebook

Hello Berend and Niels,

> 09.02.2009 10:04:58 WARN
> [org.hippoecm.hst.core.template.tag.LayoutModulesTag.doStartTag():114]
> ServletException: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
> org.hippoecm.hst.core.template.module.listdisplay.ListDisplayM
> odule for template page: /jsp/modules/people.jsp
>
> Apparently the ListDisplayModule class used in the JSP has
> been removed (or perhaps renamed?) after the documentation
> was written/published.

I removed the ListDisplayModule because I found it not general enough,
and moved it to the project it was used for. Unfortunately, I did not
fix the archetype...this has a reason (see below) but still I am to
blame but...

> As stated on the homepage of the site toolkit documentation,
> the toolkit is a work in progress and the documentation is
> lagging begind a little bit awaiting the new release.

It does! We are kind of abandoning the structure of the current hst2
trunk, and are refactoring the concept. This first version unfortunately
has some serious flaws, but, good news ofcourse, is that the new
restructured version will have fixed these short comings. Basically,
some short recapitulation of the shortcompings of hst trunk (and latest
tag) are the following:

1) difficult to maintain and to read hst:configuration node structure in
the repository
2) request processing tightly integrated to the servlet api and filters.
This avoided proper unint testing opportunities
3) no dependency injection possible because all was done through
concrete classes without proper API and OCM
4) no proper MVC, where action/rendering/displaying logic tightly
coupled to the jsps
5) no possibility for non jsp scripting
6) no Spring possibbilities
7) no portlet integration possible

Now, we are restructering the entire hst (see the branch-295) which
solves all former issues. Obviously, existing implementations need
refactoring, because changes are large. We expect the branch-295 to work
within short notice (this Friday we expect to be able to do a request
processing round trip). Also, I think this afternoon (?) we will move
the architectural wiki documentation to a public location, such that you
can see it (and shoot at it :-))

Anyways, sorry for the in-flux state of the trunk, but, it is for the
best, because the new setup will be superior in every aspect.

Regards Ard