Imagesets and cropping of images, quality considerations...

Imagesets and cropping of images, quality considerations...

Gerrit Berkouwer
In the new 7.6 release I see this improvement::

***
Images Handling
We also improved the end-user experience with respect to images. First, we added image cropping capability. As you might know, within Hippo CMS we have the concept of an image set. That is an image consisting of multiple variants with different dimensions (sizes). By default, a new image with its variants is automatically created when you upload a picture. With the new cropping feature, the user can now determine the content of a variant by selecting a section of the original image. Secondly, it is now also possible to select a variant from within a rich text editor field.
***

As far as I know Hippo uses 'ImageIO' for the imagesets functionality, correct? This has some disadvantages, like the quality of the image that goes down when using ImageIO... not nice :-(.

Did anyone ever consider using something like ImageMagick for things like this instead of ImageIO? What is used for the cropping function? Does the cropping als bring down the image quality?

Re: Imagesets and cropping of images, quality considerations...

minos
The Image cropper uses the same underlying image service, so it is imageio. Please note, the architecture is quite open and this means you can very easily plug in your own implementation of a GalleryProcessor, using any library/image tool you wish. You can configure this via the cms console.

Regards,
Minos

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 10:52 AM, Gerrit Berkouwer <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

-----

Minos Chatzidakis

USA  • San Francisco  185 H Street Suite B  •  Petaluma CA 94952-5100 •  +1 (707) 773 4646
Canada    •   Montréal  5369 Boulevard St-Laurent #430 •  Montréal QC H2T 1S5  •  +1 (514) 316 8966
This e-mail may be privileged and/or confidential, and the sender does not waive any related rights and obligations. Any distribution, use or copying of this e-mail or the information it contains by other than an intended recipient is unauthorized. If you received this e-mail in error, please advise me (by return e-mail or otherwise) immediately.

Re: Imagesets and cropping of images, quality considerations...

Gerrit Berkouwer
Minos, thanks. I understand that ImageIO could be replaced. What I do not understand is that it is used at the moment by Hippo CMS if it degrades the quality of images. We will take a good look at this, thanks.

Re: Imagesets and cropping of images, quality considerations...

Minos Chatzidakis-2
Well you do realize that Hippo CMS is open source, and this means that any library and external app used must also be freely available and provide a suitable licensing scheme. Using a built-in java library is our safest way to go in this context, so we do prefer it when possible. ImageIO is such a case. Of course, there may be image libraries out there that also fit our needs and are safe from a licensing point of view; thus having the implementation pluggable enables anybody to use the library that best fits their needs.

Thanks

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 7:35 PM, Gerrit Berkouwer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Minos, thanks. I understand that ImageIO could be replaced. What I do not
understand is that it is used at the moment by Hippo CMS if it degrades the
quality of images. We will take a good look at this, thanks.

-----

Minos Chatzidakis

USA  • San Francisco 755 Baywood Drive, Second Floor •  Petaluma, CA.
94954 •  +1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
www.onehippo.com  •  www.onehippo.org  •  [hidden email]

Re: Imagesets and cropping of images, quality considerations...

Sounds like a nice plan. I've been playing around with
http://code.google.com/p/java-image-scaling/ last week.
Seems promising.

I'll keep you posted what how it performs and of the quality is nice..
now I need to find some time to create a forge project and test it.