Linkpicker: picking a resource under a document

Linkpicker: picking a resource under a document

Matthijs Tolkamp
Hi,

We have the following setup. We have documents with binary resources (pdf etc) under them. These resources are not in the gallery but under the content. Thus document X has common:resource Y like
X-handle
   X-document
      Y-resource

We use the linkpicker to create links to documents. Thus from document Z we link to document X.
We want to have the option to link directly to the resource Y instead of to document X.

Would it be possible to link to a resource using the linkpicker? The link becomes a hippo:facetselect under the document in which the link is created.
Or is there an option to make the resource a document under an already existing document (is this even possible to have a document under a document?).

The resources are not under the gallery because they need to be indexed and when searched for the resource it should only be accessible from the page they are placed under.

Does anyone have any good input for us? Other ideas are welcome as well to get this working. The goal is to have the choice to have either a direct link on the frontend to the resource or a link to the page the resource is under.

Cheers,
Denis and Matthijs

Re: Linkpicker: picking a resource under a document

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 3:02 PM, Matthijs Tolkamp

> We have the following setup. We have documents with binary resources (pdf
> etc) under them. These resources are not in the gallery but under the
> content. Thus document X has common:resource Y like
> X-handle
>    X-document
>       Y-resource
>
> We use the linkpicker to create links to documents. Thus from document Z we
> link to document X.
> We want to have the option to link directly to the resource Y instead of to
> document X.
>
> Would it be possible to link to a resource using the linkpicker? The link
> becomes a hippo:facetselect under the document in which the link is created.
> Or is there an option to make the resource a document under an already
> existing document (is this even possible to have a document under a
> document?).
>
> The resources are not under the gallery because they need to be indexed and
> when searched for the resource it should only be accessible from the page
> they are placed under.
>
> Does anyone have any good input for us? Other ideas are welcome as well to
> get this working. The goal is to have the choice to have either a direct
> link on the frontend to the resource or a link to the page the resource is
> under.

what you want is unfortunately not possible at this moment. You can
only link to folders or documents (the handle). This is because the
links are uuid to the handle of the document. The uuids below the
handle (and thus also for the embedded resource) change all the time.
You can link to resources that are a document below assets.

In principle what you want could be possible if we could also include
some sub-path (the relative path from handle to embedded resource)
after the handle. Perhaps this is even already possible when you would
directly do it in the console content, because pointing to a specific
image variant in an image set works in this way. However it might be
that the HST linkrewriting does not yet cater for this. Also xinha
does not yet cater for this.

so, in a nutshell, I think it would be possible to add, but currently
not supported

Regards Ard

> Cheers,
> Denis and Matthijs

Re: Linkpicker: picking a resource under a document

Gerrit Berkouwer
This post was updated on .
Ok, so we need to have another idea to accomplish this. I was thinking:

We have a document in Hippo with the following URL on the front end:
http://www.example.com/docs/foo.html

This document has an embedded resource (PDF) with the following URL on the frontend:

http://www.example.com/docs/foo2.pdf

So what we want is give the Editor this embedded resource front end URL, so he can use this to link to from within another document. What the editor could do, and sometimes does in our system, is paste this URL in a Xinha field: This is foo2.pdf for you to download

Now, is there a way to present these front-end URLs of embedded resources so an Editor can use them to link to from within the CMS? In a better way than via the HTML-option of Xinha?

Re: Linkpicker: picking a resource under a document

Ard
On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 12:31 PM, Gerrit Berkouwer
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok, so we need to have another idea to accomplish this. I was thinking:
>
> We have a document in Hippo with the following URL on the front end:
> http://www.example.com/docs/foo.html
>
> This document has an embedded resource (PDF) with the following URL on the
> frontend:
>
> http://www.example.com/docs/foo2.pdf
>
> So what we want is give the Editor this embedded resource front end URL, so
> he can use this to link to from within another document. What the editor
> could do, and sometimes does in our system, is paste this URL in a Xinha
> field:  This is foo.pdf for you to download
> <http://www.example.com/docs/foo2.pdf>
>
> Now, is there a way to present these front-end URLs of embedded resources so
> an Editor can use them to link to from within the CMS? In a better way than
> via the HTML-option of Xinha?

This is very much contrasting separation of content and
representation, a direction we should imo not (want) to go. Reusing
content across different devices, across different channels and across
different representations (html/rest/xml/etc) is of ever increasing
importance (which is great as that is our firm believe since 2002 and
more and more the world is adopting and realizing that content and
representation should be separated)

Thus back to the original request: as I explained, it is possible to
include behavior to point to an embedded resource just as an image
picker points to an (embedded) image variant below a imageset
document. So, if we need to include this feature, this should be the
way to address it imo

Regards Ard

> -----
> --
> Greetz, Gerrit

Re: Linkpicker: picking a resource under a document

Wouter Danes-2
Agree with ArdS. You should let the representation layer choose how to render the relation.
The metadata about the file can be represented on "mouse over" on desktops f.ex, but on mobile devices this won't be possible and as such a page between the link and the download needs to be introduced to display the metadata.

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 12:31 PM, Gerrit Berkouwer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok, so we need to have another idea to accomplish this. I was thinking:
>
> We have a document in Hippo with the following URL on the front end:
> http://www.example.com/docs/foo.html
>
> This document has an embedded resource (PDF) with the following URL on
> the
> frontend:
>
> http://www.example.com/docs/foo2.pdf
>
> So what we want is give the Editor this embedded resource front end
> URL, so he can use this to link to from within another document. What
> the editor could do, and sometimes does in our system, is paste this
> URL in a Xinha
> field:  This is foo.pdf for you to download
> <http://www.example.com/docs/foo2.pdf>
>
> Now, is there a way to present these front-end URLs of embedded
> resources so an Editor can use them to link to from within the CMS? In
> a better way than via the HTML-option of Xinha?

This is very much contrasting separation of content and representation, a direction we should imo not (want) to go. Reusing content across different devices, across different channels and across different representations (html/rest/xml/etc) is of ever increasing importance (which is great as that is our firm believe since 2002 and more and more the world is adopting and realizing that content and representation should be separated)

Thus back to the original request: as I explained, it is possible to include behavior to point to an embedded resource just as an image picker points to an (embedded) image variant below a imageset document. So, if we need to include this feature, this should be the way to address it imo

Regards Ard

> -----
> --
> Greetz, Gerrit

Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam Boston - 1 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 12:31 PM, Gerrit Berkouwer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Ok, so we need to have another idea to accomplish this. I was thinking:
>
> We have a document in Hippo with the following URL on the front end:
> http://www.example.com/docs/foo.html
>
> This document has an embedded resource (PDF) with the following URL on
> the
> frontend:
>
> http://www.example.com/docs/foo2.pdf
>
> So what we want is give the Editor this embedded resource front end
> URL, so he can use this to link to from within another document. What
> the editor could do, and sometimes does in our system, is paste this
> URL in a Xinha
> field:  This is foo.pdf for you to download
> <http://www.example.com/docs/foo2.pdf>
>
> Now, is there a way to present these front-end URLs of embedded
> resources so an Editor can use them to link to from within the CMS? In
> a better way than via the HTML-option of Xinha?

This is very much contrasting separation of content and representation, a direction we should imo not (want) to go. Reusing content across different devices, across different channels and across different representations (html/rest/xml/etc) is of ever increasing importance (which is great as that is our firm believe since 2002 and more and more the world is adopting and realizing that content and representation should be separated)

Thus back to the original request: as I explained, it is possible to include behavior to point to an embedded resource just as an image picker points to an (embedded) image variant below a imageset document. So, if we need to include this feature, this should be the way to address it imo

Regards Ard

> -----
> --
> Greetz, Gerrit

Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam Boston - 1 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142

US <a href="tel:%2B1%20877%20414%204776" value="+18774144776">+1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
Europe <a href="tel:%2B31%280%2920%20522%204466" value="+31205224466">+31(0)20 522 4466

Re: Linkpicker: picking a resource under a document

Ard
On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 8:37 PM, Gerrit Berkouwer
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> So, seems that Ard's idea is the way to do it. Tomorrow our team discusses
> this.

Great, keep us posted,

Regards Ard