Moving a whole folder instead of 1 document?

Moving a whole folder instead of 1 document?

Gerrit Berkouwer
In the CMS I can move a document to another folder. We would like to move a whole sub-folder to another folder, including all documents in that sub-folder. Would that be difficult to realize?

Re: Moving a whole folder instead of 1 document?

Laurens Leeuwis
Hi Gerrit, that's easy-peasy when using the console

In the CMS I can move a document to another folder. We would like to move a
whole sub-folder to another folder, including all documents in that
sub-folder. Would that be difficult to realize?

-----

This message contains information that may be privileged or confidential and is the property of the Capgemini Group. It is
intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to
read, print, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute, or use this message or any part thereof. If you receive this message

Re: Moving a whole folder instead of 1 document?

Berry van Halderen
On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 11:52 AM, Gerrit Berkouwer
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> In the CMS I can move a document to another folder. We would like to move a
> whole sub-folder to another folder, including all documents in that
> sub-folder. Would that be difficult to realize?

No that is not difficult, but is is explicitly not offered.
Moving a document entails some checks upon the publication status of
the document (you cannot move published documents).
Sometimes the location of the document in sites is used, and moving
the document would break your site then.  Also for other management
issues the move operation is normally performed on a document.
Moving a whole folder and doing these checks isn't possible (within
reasonable performance bounds and without screwing the architecture).

Moving a folder isn't bad per-se but looks far more like a filesystem
operation (which the CMS isn't trying to be, although timetimes it
looks so).

Having said that, the workflow is already present to move documents.
It simply isn't offered.  In code (on top of my head, so errs may
apply):

  Node folder = ...; // the folder that you want to move.
  Node parent = folder.getParent(); // the folder it is in.
  Node destination = .. // the target folder you want to place the folder in
  WorkflowManager wfMgr =
((HippoWorkspace)folder.getSession().getWorkspace()).getWorkflowManager();
  FolderWorflow wf = (FolderWorkflow) wfMgr.getWorkflow("threepane",
parent); // sorry for the name threepane, really hard to get rid of.
  wf.move(folder.getName(), destination.getPath()+"/"+folder.getName());

Be aware however of the problems with moving documents when your side
needs to be aware of the location.

\Berry

> -----
> --
> Greetz, Gerrit

Re: Moving a whole folder instead of 1 document?

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 11:55 AM, Leeuwis, Laurens
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Gerrit, that's easy-peasy when using the console

Doing it only with the console does not trigger a touch of descendant
nodes : This results in hippo:paths property not be rewritten. And,
the paths also need to be rewritten (we use them for searches)

Therefor, you either need to touch all the descendant nodes again, or
use workflow as Berry pointed out

Regards ard

I know it is possible via the console, we are looking into getting it into the CMS. But I understand that this brings a lot of good questions and things to consider. Thanks for all replies!

Re: Moving a whole folder instead of 1 document?

Ok, been thinking further a bit about this a bit today...

The problem is in moving _folders_, correct?

What if we limit the wish to being able to move multiple documents from one folder to another folder from within the CMS? Would that be easier to accomplish? If I can move one document, moving a bunch of documents in one go should not be more difficult, right? Off course the documents should be unpublished documents...

Would this be something new or did someone already make something like this?

Re: Moving a whole folder instead of 1 document?

Frank van Lankvelt
On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 6:54 PM, Gerrit Berkouwer
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok, been thinking further a bit about this a bit today...
>
> The problem is in moving _folders_, correct?
>
> What if we limit the wish to being able to move multiple documents from one
> folder to another folder from within the CMS? Would that be easier to
> accomplish? If I can move one document, moving a bunch of documents in one
> go should not be more difficult, right? Off course the documents should be
> unpublished documents...

sounds quite straightforward; we do something similar with the
'publish all'.  The cms iterates over the documents and invokes the
workflow on them.

cheers, Frank

> Would this be something new or did someone already make something like this?
>
> -----
> --
> Greetz, Gerrit

Re: Moving a whole folder instead of 1 document?

Laurens Leeuwis
That's something I never realised. Interesting thread.
Thanks for the new insight!

Laurens