Multiple steps form

Jerome Mirc
Hi,

I need to create a multiple steps form. Could you send me an example or What is the best approach to implement this feature?

Thanks

Jérôme

Re: Multiple steps form

Alle Veenstra
On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 2:50 PM, jmirc <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I need to create a multiple steps form. Could you send me an example or What
is the best approach to implement this feature?

Thanks

Jérôme

Hi Jérôme,

I have not developed this yet, but I have a possible solution for you. You could create multiple separate forms for each step. Next, create a multiple document picker called "form steps" in the document where you want to have your form. Make a component that extends  EasyFormComponent and renders these steps one by one. For this, override the getFormBean method and make it return the appropriate form from the "form steps" picker. Next, override the storeFormMap, retrieveFormMap and removeFormMap methods and make them store the form in the session, so you can accumulate the posted form data easily. This API is only available in easyforms hst version 2.09.00.

Please let me know if you succeeded and if possible, send me your solution. Maybe we can make this part of easyforms itself.

Thank you,

Alle

Met vriendelijke groeten,
Alle Veenstra

[hidden email] - Hippo
Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT  Amsterdam

US +1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
Europe +31(0)20 522 4466

Re: Multiple steps form

david
Hi,

How about a Spring WebFlow integration ? I don't know how easy (hard?) it can be, but it may be worth a try, because Spring Webflow is a perfect candidate for such a need.

David

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 9:25 AM, Alle Veenstra <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

David MARTIN
Ippon Technologies

Re: Multiple steps form

I guess this mostly depends on the requirements. The way Alle suggests
it everything can be edited from the CMS, which will give the end user
more controle.

Next to that you can use Spring WebFlow or use the
AbstractWizardFormController from Spring MVC.

Check out http://blogs.onehippo.org/woonsan/2009/06/spring_web_mvc_framework_suppo_1.html

That's how I did it in the past, but using easy forms has some
additional advantages.

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 9:50 AM, David Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How about a Spring WebFlow integration ? I don't know how easy (hard?) it
> can be, but it may be worth a try, because Spring Webflow is a perfect
> candidate for such a need.
>
> David
>

> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 9:25 AM, Alle Veenstra <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 2:50 PM, jmirc <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I need to create a multiple steps form. Could you send me an example or
>>> What
>>> is the best approach to implement this feature?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Jérôme
>>

>> Hi Jérôme,
>>
>> I have not developed this yet, but I have a possible solution for you. You
>> could create multiple separate forms for each step. Next, create a multiple
>> document picker called "form steps" in the document where you want to have
>> your form. Make a component that extends  EasyFormComponent and renders
>> these steps one by one. For this, override the getFormBean method and make
>> it return the appropriate form from the "form steps" picker. Next, override
>> the storeFormMap, retrieveFormMap and removeFormMap methods and make them
>> store the form in the session, so you can accumulate the posted form
>> data easily. This API is only available in easyforms hst version 2.09.00.
>>
>> Please let me know if you succeeded and if possible, send me your
>> solution. Maybe we can make this part of easyforms itself.
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> Alle
>>

>>> --

>> Met vriendelijke groeten,
>> Alle Veenstra
>>

>> [hidden email] - Hippo
>> Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT  Amsterdam
>> Boston - 1 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142
>>
>> US +1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
>> Europe +31(0)20 522 4466
>> www.onehippo.com

> David MARTIN
> Ippon Technologies

Re: Multiple steps form

Gerard Klijs
I have the same problem, and it seems clear what needs to be done. However, if any of you already changed some of the methods I would like to know.

Re: Multiple steps form

Gerrit Berkouwer
This post was updated on .
Hi all, did anyone follow up on this idea of multi-forms?

For me as a non-developer it is very hard to find out what a plugin like EasyForms can do. This is even an 'official supported plugin', right? I would at least expect some kind of functional description on the Forge page of this plugin, but I cannot find it :-(.

Anyway, multi steps forms is what we need. Even with simple forms you want to give this to your user. Next to multiple steps the forms need server side validation and checks per form field. Client side validation with javascript just does not cut it.

As far as I know (?) both features are not (yet) in the plugin, right?

Ideal world: forms2email with multiple steps, standard form fields with server side validation and checks with standard security rules against sql injection and such. With standards anti-spam solutions. All editable from within the cms. Javascript validation should go on top of the server side validation if needed. Would be sweet if there were Javascript validation scripts available out-of-the-box.

Can anyone confirm that these ideas are not yet in the EasyForms plugin? Would it be welcome and would it be possible to build these things in the plugin? I would like to know before we consider building this :-).

Good extra ideas also welcome offcourse :-).

Re: Multiple steps form

Jasper Floor
Hi Gerrit,

I have recently had the same problem. The long and short of it is that
multi-step forms are not supported. A couple of months back Alle
posted something about this
(https://lists.onehippo.org/pipermail/hippo-cms7-user/2012-March/009929.html).

There are several wasy I can think of implementing this. Another
approach would be to add a property to all possible fields which
basically identifies the form step. Then you can push the problem to
javascript mostly. This is of course not really a multi step form as
you may want to save the completed steps regardless of whether the
form is completed completely.

I would actually like to add multi step forms to easyforms but I
cannot even begin to estimate when I can start on it and when it will
be finished. There are many improvements on easyforms possible, most
of which I'm sure have already been thought of by the original
developers. Time is of course an issue.

Validation is already possible and you can also add a custom behavior
to do more validation.

I agree the documentation could be better. This is also something I
have been thinking about. Again, I cannot say if I will even get to
this. I currently have a growing list of things on my mind (and on
paper) of things which could be improved. This always seems to be the
case with non-trivial software.

A lot of the more interesting things you can do with EasyForms will
require some coding.

mvg,
Jasper

On Sat, Aug 4, 2012 at 9:41 PM, Gerrit Berkouwer
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all, did anyone follow up on this idea of multi-forms?
>
> For me as a non-developer it is very hard to find out what a plugin like
> EasyForms can do. This is even an 'official supported plugin', right? I
> would at least expect some kind of functional description on the Forge page
> of this plugin, but I cannot find it :-(.
>
> Anyway, multi steps forms is what we need. Even with simple forms you want
> to give this to your user. Next to multiple steps the forms need server side
> validation and checks per form field. Client side validation with javascript
> just does not cut it.
>
> As far as I know (?) both features are not (yet) in the plugin, right?
>
> Ideal world: forms2email with multiple steps, standard form fields with
> server side validation and checks with standard security rules against sql
> injection and such. With standards anti-spam solutions. All editable from
> within the cms. Javascript validation should go on top of the server side
> validation if needed. Would be sweet if there were JQuery validation scripts
> available out-of-the-box.
>
> Can anyone confirm that these ideas are not yet in the EasyForms plugin?
> Would it be welcome and would it be possible to build these things in the
> plugin? I would like to know before we consider building this :-).
>
> Good extra ideas also welcome offcourse :-).
>
> Greetz, Gerrit
>

> -----
> --
> Greetz, Gerrit

Re: Multiple steps form

Ard
On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 3:54 PM, Jasper Floor <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Gerrit,
>
> I have recently had the same problem. The long and short of it is that
> multi-step forms are not supported. A couple of months back Alle
> posted something about this
> (https://lists.onehippo.org/pipermail/hippo-cms7-user/2012-March/009929.html).
>
> There are several wasy I can think of implementing this. Another
> approach would be to add a property to all possible fields which
> basically identifies the form step. Then you can push the problem to
> javascript mostly. This is of course not really a multi step form as
> you may want to save the completed steps regardless of whether the
> form is completed completely.
>
> I would actually like to add multi step forms to easyforms but I
> cannot even begin to estimate when I can start on it and when it will
> be finished. There are many improvements on easyforms possible, most
> of which I'm sure have already been thought of by the original
> developers. Time is of course an issue.

We've branched easy forms the other day, so the trunk is open for
improvements I'd say! :-)

Regards Ard

> Validation is already possible and you can also add a custom behavior
> to do more validation.
>
> I agree the documentation could be better. This is also something I
> have been thinking about. Again, I cannot say if I will even get to
> this. I currently have a growing list of things on my mind (and on
> paper) of things which could be improved. This always seems to be the
> case with non-trivial software.
>
> A lot of the more interesting things you can do with EasyForms will
> require some coding.
>
> mvg,
> Jasper
>

> On Sat, Aug 4, 2012 at 9:41 PM, Gerrit Berkouwer
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi all, did anyone follow up on this idea of multi-forms?
>>
>> For me as a non-developer it is very hard to find out what a plugin like
>> EasyForms can do. This is even an 'official supported plugin', right? I
>> would at least expect some kind of functional description on the Forge page
>> of this plugin, but I cannot find it :-(.
>>
>> Anyway, multi steps forms is what we need. Even with simple forms you want
>> to give this to your user. Next to multiple steps the forms need server side
>> validation and checks per form field. Client side validation with javascript
>> just does not cut it.
>>
>> As far as I know (?) both features are not (yet) in the plugin, right?
>>
>> Ideal world: forms2email with multiple steps, standard form fields with
>> server side validation and checks with standard security rules against sql
>> injection and such. With standards anti-spam solutions. All editable from
>> within the cms. Javascript validation should go on top of the server side
>> validation if needed. Would be sweet if there were JQuery validation scripts
>> available out-of-the-box.
>>
>> Can anyone confirm that these ideas are not yet in the EasyForms plugin?
>> Would it be welcome and would it be possible to build these things in the
>> plugin? I would like to know before we consider building this :-).
>>
>> Good extra ideas also welcome offcourse :-).
>>
>> Greetz, Gerrit
>>

>> -----
>> --
>> Greetz, Gerrit

Re: Multiple steps form

Jasper Floor
On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 5:31 PM, Ard Schrijvers
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> We've branched easy forms the other day, so the trunk is open for
> improvements I'd say! :-)

Thanks, I actually knew that. I've got some ideas which I have to work
out and then probably lobby to get some time. Once I have anything
resembling a plan I'll throw it into the group here to see what people
think. It may take some time though,

Re: Multiple steps form

Ard
On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 3:20 PM, Jasper Floor <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 5:31 PM, Ard Schrijvers
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> We've branched easy forms the other day, so the trunk is open for
>> improvements I'd say! :-)
>
> Thanks, I actually knew that. I've got some ideas which I have to work
> out and then probably lobby to get some time. Once I have anything
> resembling a plan I'll throw it into the group here to see what people
> think. It may take some time though,

Great! As long as you try to keep in mind to be as much as possible
backwards compatible. Adding features that do not break existing ones
would be fine