'My 20 last edited documents' from within the linkpicker

'My 20 last edited documents' from within the linkpicker

Gerrit Berkouwer
Hi all, we have this idea for the link picker. I want to check if somebody already worked on something like this and I would like to hear suggestions and remarks if you have them :-).

Ok, the user story for an editor could be something like this (this is CMS software, right? ;-)):

'I am an editor in Hippo CMS and I would like to be able to link from within 1 document to a number of documents I made the last 15 minutes, fast and efficient so life in my CMS becomes more easy and fun'

My steps:
- I make document 1
- I make document 2
- I make document 3
- I make document 4
- I make document 5
- I take a break with a Vietnamese ice-coffee...
- I make my overall new document that should link to the 5 earlier documents
- I open the dialogue in my document template to add a link to these other documents (e.g. 'related documents' or 'related Q&A's')
- In the link picker I see the last 20 documents that were edited by me (preferably a configurable number of items here)
- I 'multiple select' the 5 earlier made documents by ticking the check boxes in front of these documents
- I click 'OK'
- I check on Preview
- I publish my document

The above is the basic idea. At the moment in CMS 7.5 a user has to link the 5 documents seperately, and he has to look for the documents one-by-one by going through the tree or by using search.
The idea needs 'multiple select' from within linkpickers, but that is another thread...

Re: 'My 20 last edited documents' from within the linkpicker

Mathijs Brand
I like your user story with the Vietnamese ice-coffee :) Great!

This is just an idea I had when I read your mail and wanted to share:
I think you could also take the approach to extend the related docs
plugin [1] to do a query on "my latest links". The related docs plugin
already has the option to add multiple links and add single hand
picked documents. You could add this option in the UI next to:
Refresh suggestions | Select Documents Manually.

Note: I think this is not as nice and extendible as your own
suggestion, but my guess is that it could be implemented a lot quicker
though.

You can try out the related docs plugin in the Hippo Go Green demo [2]
in a news document, but I guess you already knew that.

1: http://relateddocs.forge.onehippo.org
2: https://cms.demo.onehippo.com

Regards,
Mathijs Brand

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 3:03 PM, Gerrit Berkouwer
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all, we have this idea for the link picker. I want to check if somebody
> already worked on something like this and I would like to hear suggestions
> and remarks if you have them :-).
>
> Ok, the user story for an editor could be something like this (this is CMS
> software, right? ;-)):
>
> 'I am an editor in Hippo CMS and I would like to be able to link from within
> 1 document to a number of documents I made the last 15 minutes, fast and
> efficient so life in my CMS becomes more easy and fun'
>
> My steps:
> - I make document 1
> - I make document 2
> - I make document 3
> - I make document 4
> - I make document 5
> - I take a break with a Vietnamese ice-coffee...
> - I make my overall new document that should link to the 5 earlier documents
> - I open the dialogue in my document template to add a link to these other
> documents (e.g. 'related documents' or 'related Q&A's')
> - In the link picker I see the last 20 documents that were edited by me
> (preferably a configurable number of items here)
> - I 'multiple select' the 5 earlier made documents by ticking the check
> boxes in front of these documents
> - I click 'OK'
> - I check on Preview
> - I publish my document
>
> The above is the basic idea. At the moment in CMS 7.5 a user has to link the
> 5 documents seperately, and he has to look for the documents one-by-one by
> going through the tree or by using search.
> The idea needs
> http://hippo.2275632.n2.nabble.com/Does-Hippo-has-a-Multiselect-link-picker-td6426832.html
> 'multiple select' from within linkpickers , but that is another thread...

Re: 'My 20 last edited documents' from within the linkpicker

Gerrit Berkouwer
Mathijs, thanks, will look into that!

I am no developer, so I am wondering: why is the idea hard to implement? It does not seem hard: instead of selecting and remembering 1 link, the linkpicker could 'simply' remember >1 link (remember the exact UUID I guess) and paste that into multiple fields in the document the linkpicker comes from...

I probably make the solution too simple here, what do I forget? :-)

Re: 'My 20 last edited documents' from within the linkpicker

Vijay Kiran-3
Yes, this shouldn't be too difficult as long as you don't expect the link picker dialog to make the ice-coffee :-)

I've been trying to visualize how this can work - the UI can get a bit tricky since there are two more things that need to be added to the dialog.

1. List of links you selected.
2. List of recent documents.

Now the first part is relatively easy than the second one. Since recent documents are *your* recent documents. So we should capture the information while you are working with CMS. If that is in place and has a different place (accordion section?) in the listing, then the 2nd part gets easier to implement.

Also, as a side-effect - since link picker uses the same "browse" plugin - the recent documents can even show up in the CMS's document browser - which is a nice touch.

Regards,
./Vijay
PS: Looks like an interesting itch to scratch for me ... but I can't promise :-)

On Jun 3, 2011, at 1:25 PM, Gerrit Berkouwer wrote:

> Mathijs, thanks, will look into that!
>
> I am no developer, so I am wondering: why is the idea hard to implement? It
> does not seem hard: instead of selecting and remembering 1 link, the
> linkpicker could 'simply' remember >1 link (remember the exact UUID I guess)
> and paste that into multiple fields in the document the linkpicker comes
> from...
>
> I probably make the solution too simple here, what do I forget? :-)
>
> -----
> --
> Greetz, Gerrit

Re: 'My 20 last edited documents' from within the linkpicker

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 1:25 PM, Gerrit Berkouwer
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mathijs, thanks, will look into that!
>
> I am no developer, so I am wondering: why is the idea hard to implement? It
> does not seem hard: instead of selecting and remembering 1 link, the
> linkpicker could 'simply' remember >1 link (remember the exact UUID I guess)
> and paste that into multiple fields in the document the linkpicker comes
> from...
>
> I probably make the solution too simple here, what do I forget? :-)

this will break the plugin api for document listing plugins.  So it
would be possible to implement this in the standard doc listing, there
is both the overhead of changing the behavior of the browser that's
managing those plusing as well as the plugins that hook into it to
e.g. display some property of the documents.

It's probably best to do a POC first to figure these issues out and
assess the impact on existing plugins (doc listing column providers
and picker/editor plugins).  Then we can estimate the actual work
involved and port existing plugins to the new model.

So, as I've said before, it will not be hard if you're ok with a
hardcoded solution.  (fixed sections, fixed columns, no search, those
kind of limitations)

cheers, Frank

> -----
> --
> Greetz, Gerrit

Re: 'My 20 last edited documents' from within the linkpicker

Gerrit Berkouwer
@frank: preferably we are not looking into hardcoded solutions. Upgrading to new versions is already nightmare-ish, going from 7.3 to 7.5 is no fun at all...:-(
This should be standard in a good CMS: multiple linkpicking. out-of-the-box. Can we aim for that? We are willing to put effort in it ;-).

@vijay: your post made me happy! Frank also gave some pointers, but he sort of warns us for the complexity, where you seem to be more confident it is possible.

What would be good next steps? We are discussing with our developers also, how can we put things together? I would like to point out that we combine 2 things here: multiple select and 'my last 20 documents'. If it makes things easier they can be looked at seperately.

Re: 'My 20 last edited documents' from within the linkpicker

Vijay Kiran-3

I don't think Frank was trying to scare me away :-)

But I guess we are talking about the same thing since as Frank pointed out, the listing plugin is same in the main document browser view as well as in the Link Picker dialog. Since this will be used in many places,a POC would be better, clearly this can get complex - but the first step will be to take a look at the BrowsePlugin - may be frank can give concrete places to look for to understand the this cluster in a better way.

Also, IMHO, it would be better if the two things - multiple select in the picker and "my recent documents" are separately approached. I think "recent documents" (my recent documents/recent documents in CMS) is easy enough to start with.

./Vijay

On Jun 6, 2011, at 3:32 PM, Gerrit Berkouwer wrote:

> @frank: preferably we are not looking into hardcoded solutions. Upgrading to
> new versions is already nightmare-ish, going from 7.3 to 7.5 is no fun at
> all...:-(
> This should be standard in a good CMS: multiple linkpicking. out-of-the-box.
> Can we aim for that? We are willing to put effort in it ;-).
>
> @vijay: your post made me happy! Frank also gave some pointers, but he sort
> of warns us for the complexity, where you seem to be more confident it is
> possible.
>
> What would be good next steps? We are discussing with our developers also,
> how can we put things together? i would like to point out that we combne 2
> things here: multiple select and 'my last 20 documents'. If it makes things
> easier they can be looked at seperately.
>

> -----
> --
> Greetz, Gerrit

Re: 'My 20 last edited documents' from within the linkpicker

Frank van Lankvelt
On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 5:10 PM, Vijay Kiran <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't think Frank was trying to scare me away :-)

nope, just hoping to prevent you from making idle promises...

> But I guess we are talking about the same thing since as Frank pointed out, the listing plugin is same in the main document browser view as well as in the Link Picker dialog. Since this will be used in many places,a POC would be better, clearly this can get complex - but the first step will be to take a look at the BrowsePlugin - may be frank can give concrete places to look for to understand the this cluster in a better way.

indeed, the browser plugin would be a good place to start.  It
instantiates listing clusters from the cms-folder-views /
cms-search-views.  That extension point is currently bound pretty hard
to the 'only one document is selected' model, so that would have to be
generalised.

A question that also arises when doing multi-select is what to do when
the user navigates to a different folder.  That should clear the
selection in my view.
The alternative, retaining the complete selection, needs some careful
UX and UI design.  Don't even want to think about the implementation
yet.

> Also, IMHO, it would be better if the two things - multiple select in the picker and "my recent documents" are separately approached. I think "recent documents" (my recent documents/recent documents in CMS) is easy enough to start with.

+1; this could start out as a separate section in the accordion.  This
information is easily provided by faceted navigation, the document
listing already knows how to display the resultset.
The section itself would probably not contain a tree, but could evolve
into a more general faceted view / advanced search on the repository.

cheers, Frank

> ./Vijay
>

> On Jun 6, 2011, at 3:32 PM, Gerrit Berkouwer wrote:
>
>> @frank: preferably we are not looking into hardcoded solutions. Upgrading to
>> new versions is already nightmare-ish, going from 7.3 to 7.5 is no fun at
>> all...:-(
>> This should be standard in a good CMS: multiple linkpicking. out-of-the-box.
>> Can we aim for that? We are willing to put effort in it ;-).
>>
>> @vijay: your post made me happy! Frank also gave some pointers, but he sort
>> of warns us for the complexity, where you seem to be more confident it is
>> possible.
>>
>> What would be good next steps? We are discussing with our developers also,
>> how can we put things together? i would like to point out that we combne 2
>> things here: multiple select and 'my last 20 documents'. If it makes things
>> easier they can be looked at seperately.
>>

>> -----
>> --
>> Greetz, Gerrit

Re: 'My 20 last edited documents' from within the linkpicker

Gerrit Berkouwer
Frank van Lankvelt wrote
+1; this could start out as a separate section in the accordion.  This
information is easily provided by faceted navigation, the document
listing already knows how to display the resultset.
The section itself would probably not contain a tree, but could evolve
into a more general faceted view / advanced search on the repository.
cheers, Frank
+1 for the accordion! This should ideally contain two things:

- My recent documents
- Recent documents (of all users)

Both numbers of items should be configurable.
This accordion would offcourse be usable in the linkpickers

Re: 'My 20 last edited documents' from within the linkpicker

>> +1; this could start out as a separate section in the accordion.  This
>> information is easily provided by faceted navigation, the document
>> listing already knows how to display the resultset.
>> The section itself would probably not contain a tree, but could evolve
>> into a more general faceted view / advanced search on the repository.
>> cheers, Frank
>>

> +1 for the accordion! This should ideally contain two things:
>
> - My recent documents
> - Recent documents (of all users)
>
> Both numbers of items should be configurable.
> This accordion would offcourse be usable in the linkpickers

Chiming in late.. But I like these ideas!

Arje

Re: 'My 20 last edited documents' from within the linkpicker

Gerrit Berkouwer
For whoever is interested: we have this working now... :-).

Re: 'My 20 last edited documents' from within the linkpicker

Ard
On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 6:57 PM, Gerrit Berkouwer
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> For whoever is interested: we have this working now... :-).

Certainly interested. Where is the list based on? Is it done through a
jcr query or stored separately in some jcr nodes for some user, stored
in http session, etc etc? Is it pluggable? Can we make it part of the
standard cms?

Regards Ard

> -----
> --
> Greetz, Gerrit

Re: 'My 20 last edited documents' from within the linkpicker

Gerrit Berkouwer
Ard, I don't know the tech details. I will ask our devs to explain a bit about what we did.

Re: 'My 20 last edited documents' from within the linkpicker

Frank van Lankvelt
On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 10:55 PM, Gerrit Berkouwer
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Ard, I don't know the tech details. I will ask our devs to explain a bit
> about what we did.

please do so ;-)

Am I correct in assuming that this functionality is very generic and
not tied to your domain?
If so, it should be straightforward to put it in a forge plugin or
simply in the CMS.

cheers, Frank

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Ard, I don't know the tech details. I will ask our devs to explain a bit
> about what we did.

Great, I am interested. Imo a (straightforward) feature that really
must be part of the core cms

Regards Ard

> -----
> --
> Greetz, Gerrit

Re: 'My 20 last edited documents' from within the linkpicker

Matthijs Tolkamp
This post was updated on .
Ard wrote
Certainly interested. Where is the list based on? Is it done through a
jcr query or stored separately in some jcr nodes for some user, stored
in http session, etc etc? Is it pluggable? Can we make it part of the
standard cms?

Regards Ard
The list is based on a jcr query. We get the (max) 30 most recent documents that were last modified by (hippostdpubwf:lastModifiedBy) the user with the following query:

/jcr:root/content/documents//element(*,document:type)[@hippostdpubwf:lastModifiedBy='user'] order by @hippostdpubwf:lastModificationDate descending

The only problem with this query is that if users have documents in draft, unpublished and published form then the max documents returned is less then 30. As all these documents count towards the max 30 recent documents and wicket will filter the same documents out of the list. But this was for our users not really a big issue.

The code is made for rijksoverheid. For instance the documents searching uses rijksoverheid namespace fields, but most of the code base is fairly generic iirc.

Atm Dirkjan has the code and will make it more generic for use in the hippo core.

We also added some extra columns for the output. This is a screenshot.

Cheers
Matthijs

Re: 'My 20 last edited documents' from within the linkpicker

Ard
On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 9:13 AM, Matthijs Tolkamp
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ard wrote
>>
>> Certainly interested. Where is the list based on? Is it done through a
>> jcr query or stored separately in some jcr nodes for some user, stored
>> in http session, etc etc? Is it pluggable? Can we make it part of the
>> standard cms?
>>
>> Regards Ard
>>

> The list is based on a jcr query. We get the (max) 30 most recent documents
> that were last modified by (hippostdpubwf:lastModifiedBy) the user with the
> following query:
>
> /jcr:root/content/documents//element(*,/document:type/)[@hippostdpubwf:lastModifiedBy='/user/']
> order by @hippostdpubwf:lastModificationDate descending

Small tip : Better use the xpath query below

//element(*,/document:type/)[@hippostdpubwf:lastModifiedBy='/user/']
order by @hippostdpubwf:lastModificationDate descending

I assume that documents not below '/jcr:root/content/documents' do not
have a lastModificationDate property (if so, for example  in the
prototype, just remove the property there)

The reason is, is that without the '/jcr:root/content/documents'  the
query scales well, but with the query prefixed by
'/jcr:root/content/documents' performance degrades quite rapidly.

See the first item of [1] (a mail from 4,5 years ago from me, but
still relevant)

Regards Ard

[1] http://jackrabbit.510166.n4.nabble.com/Explanation-and-solutions-of-some-Jackrabbit-queries-regarding-performance-td516614.html

Matthijs Tolkamp
Cheers, we will put it in :)

Re: 'My 20 last edited documents' from within the linkpicker

> We also added some extra columns for the output. This is a screenshot.
>
> http://hippo.2275632.n2.nabble.com/file/n7559370/recent_documents_linkpicker.jpg

What a shame my Mail.app doesn't have a LIKE button!

- Arje