MySQL running on a dedicated server

david
Hi,

Because my laptop was quite short with its hardware resources, I decided to install MySQL on another server and still run my simple archetype based (and slightly modified) application on my laptop.
I've followed the exact same instructions I've found in the wiki page but I was surprised it didn't work the same. In fact it didn't work at all :-)
I had to add some privileges to the "blank" (I don't know how I can call it) user (ie user whose name is '', with no password). Something like :
mysql> GRANT SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE ON hippodb.* TO ''@'%';

I clearly don't like to grant such privileges, especially to a blank user that has no password... But I didn't find in the configuration the place where such a user is defined... If someone can explain this, I'll appreciate.

Thanks.

--
David MARTIN

Re: MySQL running on a dedicated server

Simon Voortman-2
Hi David,

This should be possible. The following is the statement from the wiki:

mysql> grant all privileges on hippo.* to hippo@localhost identified by 'hippo';

So instead of using localhost, you should be using the IP or hostname
of your laptop (or, as you did, '%'). You can still use your own
username with password (instead of 'hippo').

Kind regards,
Simon Voortman

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 1:37 PM, David Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Because my laptop was quite short with its hardware resources, I decided to
> install MySQL on another server and still run my simple archetype based
> (and slightly modified) application on my laptop.
> I've followed the exact same instructions I've found in the wiki page but I
> was surprised it didn't work the same. In fact it didn't work at all :-)
> I had to add some privileges to the "blank" (I don't know how I can call it)
> user (ie user whose name is '', with no password). Something like :
> mysql> GRANT SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE ON hippodb.* TO ''@'%';
>
> I clearly don't like to grant such privileges, especially to a blank user
> that has no password... But I didn't find in the configuration the place
> where such a user is defined... If someone can explain this, I'll
> appreciate.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> David MARTIN

Re: MySQL running on a dedicated server

david
Hi Simon,

I may not be clear enough perhaps. The 'hippo' user stil exists in my configuration but another user, which is called '' (which is not called in fact ;) ) is needed in order to perform some operations...
And that's what surprise me: who is this new user? Why does Hippo need this user ? And to do what ?

Thanks,

David

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 1:55 PM, Simon Voortman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi David,

This should be possible. The following is the statement from the wiki:

mysql> grant all privileges on hippo.* to hippo@localhost identified by 'hippo';

So instead of using localhost, you should be using the IP or hostname
of your laptop (or, as you did, '%'). You can still use your own
username with password (instead of 'hippo').

Kind regards,
Simon Voortman

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 1:37 PM, David Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Because my laptop was quite short with its hardware resources, I decided to
> install MySQL on another server and still run my simple archetype based
> (and slightly modified) application on my laptop.
> I've followed the exact same instructions I've found in the wiki page but I
> was surprised it didn't work the same. In fact it didn't work at all :-)
> I had to add some privileges to the "blank" (I don't know how I can call it)
> user (ie user whose name is '', with no password). Something like :
> mysql> GRANT SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE ON hippodb.* TO ''@'%';
>
> I clearly don't like to grant such privileges, especially to a blank user
> that has no password... But I didn't find in the configuration the place
> where such a user is defined... If someone can explain this, I'll
> appreciate.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> David MARTIN

Re: MySQL running on a dedicated server

Simon Voortman-2
Hi David,

The "blank" user in MySQL is the anonymous user (no
username/password). Of course this shouldn't be needed for Hippo.

I just tried the newest archetype, and configured it according to the
wiki [1], except using an external MySQL database. I only needed to
add the 'hippo' user, and everything seemed to work fine.

Do you have any logs and/or error messages? What operations didn't work?

Kind regards,
Simon

[1] https://wiki.onehippo.com/display/CMS7/Configuring+Hippo+7+for+MySQL

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 2:03 PM, David Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Simon,
>
> I may not be clear enough perhaps. The 'hippo' user stil exists in my
> configuration but another user, which is called '' (which is not called in
> fact ;) ) is needed in order to perform some operations...
> And that's what surprise me: who is this new user? Why does Hippo need this
> user ? And to do what ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> David
>

> On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 1:55 PM, Simon Voortman <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi David,
>>
>> This should be possible. The following is the statement from the wiki:
>>
>> mysql> grant all privileges on hippo.* to hippo@localhost identified by
>> 'hippo';
>>
>> So instead of using localhost, you should be using the IP or hostname
>> of your laptop (or, as you did, '%'). You can still use your own
>> username with password (instead of 'hippo').
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Simon Voortman
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 1:37 PM, David Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Because my laptop was quite short with its hardware resources, I decided
>> > install MySQL on another server and still run my simple archetype based
>> > (and slightly modified) application on my laptop.
>> > I've followed the exact same instructions I've found in the wiki page
>> > but I
>> > was surprised it didn't work the same. In fact it didn't work at all :-)
>> > I had to add some privileges to the "blank" (I don't know how I can call
>> > it)
>> > user (ie user whose name is '', with no password). Something like :
>> > mysql> GRANT SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE ON hippodb.* TO ''@'%';
>> >
>> > I clearly don't like to grant such privileges, especially to a blank
>> > user
>> > that has no password... But I didn't find in the configuration the place
>> > where such a user is defined... If someone can explain this, I'll
>> > appreciate.
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>> >
>> > --
>> > David MARTIN

Re: MySQL running on a dedicated server

david
Let me reproduce this and I'll send you some logs (it may take some time because of a Websphere deployment :( ).

David

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 3:02 PM, Simon Voortman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi David,

The "blank" user in MySQL is the anonymous user (no
username/password). Of course this shouldn't be needed for Hippo.

I just tried the newest archetype, and configured it according to the
wiki [1], except using an external MySQL database. I only needed to
add the 'hippo' user, and everything seemed to work fine.

Do you have any logs and/or error messages? What operations didn't work?

Kind regards,
Simon

[1] https://wiki.onehippo.com/display/CMS7/Configuring+Hippo+7+for+MySQL

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 2:03 PM, David Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> I may not be clear enough perhaps. The 'hippo' user stil exists in my
> configuration but another user, which is called '' (which is not called in
> fact ;) ) is needed in order to perform some operations...
> And that's what surprise me: who is this new user? Why does Hippo need this
> user ? And to do what ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> David
>

> On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 1:55 PM, Simon Voortman <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi David,
>>
>> This should be possible. The following is the statement from the wiki:
>>
>> mysql> grant all privileges on hippo.* to hippo@localhost identified by
>> 'hippo';
>>
>> So instead of using localhost, you should be using the IP or hostname
>> of your laptop (or, as you did, '%'). You can still use your own
>> username with password (instead of 'hippo').
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Simon Voortman
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 1:37 PM, David Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Because my laptop was quite short with its hardware resources, I decided
>> > install MySQL on another server and still run my simple archetype based
>> > (and slightly modified) application on my laptop.
>> > I've followed the exact same instructions I've found in the wiki page
>> > but I
>> > was surprised it didn't work the same. In fact it didn't work at all :-)
>> > I had to add some privileges to the "blank" (I don't know how I can call
>> > it)
>> > user (ie user whose name is '', with no password). Something like :
>> > mysql> GRANT SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE ON hippodb.* TO ''@'%';
>> >
>> > I clearly don't like to grant such privileges, especially to a blank
>> > user
>> > that has no password... But I didn't find in the configuration the place
>> > where such a user is defined... If someone can explain this, I'll
>> > appreciate.
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>> >
>> > --
>> > David MARTIN

Re: MySQL running on a dedicated server

david
Ok. It took some time but I'm back.
I've successfully reproduced the error but, as I had a doubt, I've checked several other things.
And the problem does NOT come from Hippo but Websphere datasource JAAS configuration (that was not declared as component managed and was using the guest user to connect to MySQL instead of the one I've created).
Note: For people trying to use Websphere (please, don't if you can ;) ), you can follow this guide to declare you datasource: http://www.devx.com/Java/Article/31571/1763/

So, forget about my question: It's all my fault :)

David