New resource bundles support feature in the repository (HSTTWO-1871, CMS7-6795)

New resource bundles support feature in the repository (HSTTWO-1871, CMS7-6795)

Woonsan Ko-3
Hi Folks,

We have discussed a new feature to support Java resource bundle
documents in the repository.
Basically, we will be able to edit multiple resource bundle documents in
the repository and use one of those in a JSP/Freemarker templates by
using the JSTL standard <fmt:message/> tag. Also, the resource bundles
from the repository documents will be automatically invalidated and
reloaded at runtime on any changes
Furthermore, we will have it fall back to the Java standard resource
bundles if a resource bundle document is not found in the repository,
and it is possible to configure the default resource bundle id per mount
so that each page doesn't need to specify bundle basename with
<fmt:setBundle/> (even though we will support <hst:setBundle/> for
advanced use cases).

Please take a look at the summary in my last comment for detail:
https://issues.onehippo.com/browse/HSTTWO-1871?focusedCommentId=212428&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-212428

The functionality of this feature can cause the deprecation of
Properties Plugin (http://properties.forge.onehippo.org/) in the future.
We will announce it later again if it should happen.

I personally think this feature should be added in 7.8.x.

Please feel free to raise any questions or objections.

Kind regards,

Woonsan

--
[hidden email]     www.onehippo.com

Re: New resource bundles support feature in the repository (HSTTWO-1871, CMS7-6795)

Ard
On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 6:39 PM, Woonsan Ko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> We have discussed a new feature to support Java resource bundle documents in
> the repository.
> Basically, we will be able to edit multiple resource bundle documents in the
> repository and use one of those in a JSP/Freemarker templates by using the
> JSTL standard <fmt:message/> tag. Also, the resource bundles from the
> repository documents will be automatically invalidated and reloaded at
> runtime on any changes
> Furthermore, we will have it fall back to the Java standard resource bundles
> if a resource bundle document is not found in the repository, and it is
> possible to configure the default resource bundle id per mount so that each
> page doesn't need to specify bundle basename with <fmt:setBundle/> (even
> though we will support <hst:setBundle/> for advanced use cases).
>
> Please take a look at the summary in my last comment for detail:
> https://issues.onehippo.com/browse/HSTTWO-1871?focusedCommentId=212428&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-212428

Great recap Woonsan, think it is a very nice feature! Also the setup
is much more lightweight than properties plugin because IIRC that one
will create many child nodes.

Only thing left open it seems to me is whether the resourcebundle
documents *wiil be* or *can* publishable : in other words, have a
preview and live version or are they just always same for preview /
live.

I think it would be nice if we can support them with and without
publishable workflow. Since the 7.8 this is very well doable (in the
7.7 it is much harder to have preview|live because there we used
facetselect to differentiate between live and preview). I wrote in
some earlier jira comment this about it:

'Regarding the loading of the resource bundles where I assume the
resource bundle in the repository is a document (that can have preview
and/or live), this will be much easier in the 7.8: For the 7.8, you
can easily have a separate Spring component manager the repository
resource bundles, because you can load the bundles separately for the
'previewsiteuser' and the 'livesiteuser' : You can do this by a jcr
xpath query. Before the 7.8, this will be much harder, because then
live and preview is served in general both with 'siteuser', hence, you
needed to access the content through a facetselect below a hst:site to
be able to get a live or a preview. For the 7.8, we distinguish live
and preview by ACLs, so you can just get the bundles documents from
the canonical location (and thus also invalidate them easily with a
jcr event from that canonical location)'

I think it would be nicest if the resource bundle doc can be publishable or not.

> The functionality of this feature can cause the deprecation of Properties
> Plugin (http://properties.forge.onehippo.org/) in the future. We will
> announce it later again if it should happen.
>
> I personally think this feature should be added in 7.8.x.

+1

Great job so far Woonsan

Regards Ard

> Please feel free to raise any questions or objections.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Woonsan
>
> --
> [hidden email]     www.onehippo.com

Re: New resource bundles support feature in the repository (HSTTWO-1871, CMS7-6795)

Jerome Mirc
This post was updated on .
Hi Woonsan, Ard,

This is a great feature. Mostly the feature that will help the marketing team to update any labels.

I would like to have the following features .
   1 - to be able to classify or to group keys by tag. Help us to see only keys with the specific tag.
   2 - to be able to search a specific key.
   3 - to have an editing button within the channel manager to go directly to the key to be able to edit it.
   4 - to have a CSV export/import feature. During the development, the translation is done outside the CMS.

As a french speaker, I have the following comment:

content/resourcebundles/myresources (resourcebundle:resourcebundle)
      - resourcebundle:id = "com.onehippo.gogreen.MyResources"
      - resourcebundle:key = {home, about}
      - messages = {home, about}
      - messages_nl_NL {thuis, over ons}
      - messages_fr_FR {aqueill, nous}
      - messages_en_US {home, about}

      should be:
      - messages_fr_FR {accueil, à propos}

Thanks

Jérôme

Re: New resource bundles support feature in the repository (HSTTWO-1871, CMS7-6795)

Ard
Hello Jerome,

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 12:11 AM, Jerome Mirc <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Woonsan, Ard,
>
> This is a great feature. Mostly the feature that will help the marketing
> team to update any labels.
>
> I have a few comments.
>    1 - I would like to be able to classify or to group keys by tag. Help us
> to see only keys with the specific tag.

do we tag keys then?

>    2 - I would like to be able to search a specific key.
>    3 - I would like to have an editing button within the channel manager to
> go directly to the key to be able to edit it.

I am not sure how easy or hard it will be to include all the above in
the cms editing interface for properties. I think it requires quite
some work, although I do agree that it would be nice. If however for a
first iteration just display all the keys lexically sorted, I think it
might already be good enough to start with. Thus in my example from
jira how the UI might look:

key    default   nl_NL     fr_FR         en_US
home home    thuis       acqueill      home       (remove)
about about    over ons  nous          abou        (remove)

it would just show 'about' above 'home'

(note I don't want to downplay your good ideas, but just want to make
the feature doable without blowing the scope)

>    4- I would like to have a CSV export/import feature. During the
> development, the translation is done outside the CMS.

seems not so hard to me...

> And now as a french speaker, I have the following comment:
>
> content/resourcebundles/myresources (resourcebundle:resourcebundle)
>       - resourcebundle:id = "com.onehippo.gogreen.MyResources"
>       - resourcebundle:key = {home, about}
>       - messages = {home, about}
>       - messages_nl_NL {thuis, over ons}
>       - *messages_fr_FR {aqueill, nous}*
>       - messages_en_US {home, about}
>
>       should be:
>       - messages_fr_FR {accueil, à propos}

:-)) I stopped with French the moment I could drop it on high school
so don't mind my attempt :-))

Regards Ard

> Thanks
>
> Jérôme

Re: New resource bundles support feature in the repository (HSTTWO-1871, CMS7-6795)

Joris Meijer
+1 for feature #3 Jerome suggests. I was about to see if I could implement this using the Properties plugin. Just as the "Edit content" button I would like to show the client that they are also in control when it comes to labels ( with a message of caution of course).

Best regards,
Joris

Joris Meijer
Consultant Online Technology | Capgemini Online

Capgemini "Netherlands" | Utrecht
Tel.: +31 30 68 93076 - Mob.: +31 6 5158 6350
www.capgemini.com

People matter, results count.
Connect with Capgemini:

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 12:11 AM, Jerome Mirc <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Woonsan, Ard,
>
> This is a great feature. Mostly the feature that will help the
> marketing team to update any labels.
>
> I have a few comments.
>    1 - I would like to be able to classify or to group keys by tag.
> Help us to see only keys with the specific tag.

do we tag keys then?

>    2 - I would like to be able to search a specific key.
>    3 - I would like to have an editing button within the channel
> manager to go directly to the key to be able to edit it.

I am not sure how easy or hard it will be to include all the above in the cms editing interface for properties. I think it requires quite some work, although I do agree that it would be nice. If however for a first iteration just display all the keys lexically sorted, I think it might already be good enough to start with. Thus in my example from jira how the UI might look:

key    default   nl_NL     fr_FR         en_US
home home    thuis       acqueill      home       (remove)
about about    over ons  nous          abou        (remove)

it would just show 'about' above 'home'

(note I don't want to downplay your good ideas, but just want to make the feature doable without blowing the scope)

>    4- I would like to have a CSV export/import feature. During the
> development, the translation is done outside the CMS.

seems not so hard to me...

> And now as a french speaker, I have the following comment:
>
> content/resourcebundles/myresources (resourcebundle:resourcebundle)
>       - resourcebundle:id = "com.onehippo.gogreen.MyResources"
>       - resourcebundle:key = {home, about}
>       - messages = {home, about}
>       - messages_nl_NL {thuis, over ons}
>       - *messages_fr_FR {aqueill, nous}*
>       - messages_en_US {home, about}
>
>       should be:
>       - messages_fr_FR {accueil, à propos}

:-)) I stopped with French the moment I could drop it on high school so don't mind my attempt :-))

Regards Ard

> Thanks
>
> Jérôme

Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam Boston - 1 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142

Re: New resource bundles support feature in the repository (HSTTWO-1871, CMS7-6795)

Ard
On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 11:11 AM, Meijer, Joris
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> +1 for feature #3 Jerome suggests. I was about to see if I could implement this using the Properties plugin. Just as the "Edit content" button I would like to show the client that they are also in control when it comes to labels ( with a message of caution of course).

I don't think we can support this in the fmt:message but we might be
able to support it by wrapping it with a hst tag (something like
hst:cmseditlink)

Regards Ard

> Best regards,
> Joris

> Joris Meijer
> Consultant Online Technology | Capgemini Online
>
> Capgemini "Netherlands" | Utrecht
> Tel.: +31 30 68 93076 - Mob.: +31 6 5158 6350
> www.capgemini.com
>
> People matter, results count.
> Connect with Capgemini:

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 11:24 AM, Ard Schrijvers
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 11:11 AM, Meijer, Joris
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> +1 for feature #3 Jerome suggests. I was about to see if I could implement this using the Properties plugin. Just as the "Edit content" button I would like to show the client that they are also in control when it comes to labels ( with a message of caution of course).
>
> I don't think we can support this in the fmt:message but we might be
> able to support it by wrapping it with a hst tag (something like
> hst:cmseditlink)

ps just like the cmseditlink this hst tag will only do something in
the channel manager template composer and will do nothing for the live
sites

> Regards Ard
>

>> Best regards,
>> Joris

>> Joris Meijer
>> Consultant Online Technology | Capgemini Online
>>
>> Capgemini "Netherlands" | Utrecht
>> Tel.: +31 30 68 93076 - Mob.: +31 6 5158 6350
>> www.capgemini.com
>>
>> People matter, results count.
>> Connect with Capgemini:

Great, exactly what I mean.

Joris

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 11:24 AM, Ard Schrijvers <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 11:11 AM, Meijer, Joris
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> +1 for feature #3 Jerome suggests. I was about to see if I could implement this using the Properties plugin. Just as the "Edit content" button I would like to show the client that they are also in control when it comes to labels ( with a message of caution of course).
>
> I don't think we can support this in the fmt:message but we might be
> able to support it by wrapping it with a hst tag (something like
> hst:cmseditlink)

ps just like the cmseditlink this hst tag will only do something in the channel manager template composer and will do nothing for the live sites

> Regards Ard
>

>> Best regards,
>> Joris

>> __
>> Joris Meijer
>> Consultant Online Technology | Capgemini Online
>>
>> Capgemini "Netherlands" | Utrecht
>> Tel.: +31 30 68 93076 - Mob.: +31 6 5158 6350 www.capgemini.com
>>
>> People matter, results count.
>> __
>> Connect with Capgemini:

+1 From me, Solves a common issue with website maintenance and a reason for me to keep stuff in property files to a minimum currently. :)

Boston - 1 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142 Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam US +1 877 414 4776 (toll free) Europe +31(0)20 522 4466 _______________________________________________