Non-String channel properties

Tobias Jeger
Hi Hippos,

I have a Boolean channel property, defined in a ChannelInfo interface like

    @Parameter(name = "commentingEnabled", defaultValue = "false")
    Boolean isCommentingEnabled();

If my channel does not have this property specified and I broswe to the channel on the site, I see

[INFO] [talledLocalContainer] hobosa:8080 14.02.2013 10:00:30 WARN  [org.hippoecm.hst.core.container.HstComponentInvokerImpl.invokeBeforeRender():151] Component exception caught on window comments with component com.onehippo.hobosa.components.Comments: java.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.String cannot be cast to java.lang.Boolean at $Proxy57.isCommentingEnabled(Unknown Source)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer] hobosa:8080 14.02.2013 10:00:30 WARN  [org.hippoecm.hst.core.container.DefaultPageErrorHandler.logWarningsForEachComponentExceptions():49] Component exception found on com.onehippo.hobosa.components.Comments : java.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.String cannot be cast to java.lang.Boolean

triggered by the call to above method. I get no class cast exception when the property is defined, so I suspect it relates to the property missing, and the default value being applied. I tried various things to specify the default value in another way, but none turned out to be valid. Does anybody know how to specify the default value such that I get no exception, or have I been misled by thinking the problem lays with the default value?

thanks

Tobi

Re: Non-String channel properties

Ard
Hey Tobias,

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 10:30 AM, Tobias Jeger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Hippos,
>
> I have a Boolean channel property, defined in a ChannelInfo interface like
>
>     @Parameter(name = "commentingEnabled", defaultValue = "false")
>     Boolean isCommentingEnabled();
>
> If my channel does not have this property specified and I broswe to the
> channel on the site, I see
>
> [INFO] [talledLocalContainer] hobosa:8080 14.02.2013 10:00:30 WARN
> [org.hippoecm.hst.core.container.HstComponentInvokerImpl.invokeBeforeRender():151]
> Component exception caught on window comments with component
> com.onehippo.hobosa.components.Comments: java.lang.ClassCastException:
> java.lang.String cannot be cast to java.lang.Boolean at
> $Proxy57.isCommentingEnabled(Unknown Source)

Can you mail the stacktrace which you can see if you set
HstComponentInvokerImpl logging to DEBUG (you can do most likely in
running environment at /cms/logging)

Also, which version are you using? I am quite confident I fixed this
in the 7.8, but I don't think it is backported

Regards Ard

> [INFO] [talledLocalContainer] hobosa:8080 14.02.2013 10:00:30 WARN
> [org.hippoecm.hst.core.container.DefaultPageErrorHandler.logWarningsForEachComponentExceptions():49]
> Component exception found on com.onehippo.hobosa.components.Comments :
> java.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.String cannot be cast to
> java.lang.Boolean
>
> triggered by the call to above method. I get no class cast exception when
> the property is defined, so I suspect it relates to the property missing,
> and the default value being applied. I tried various things to specify the
> default value in another way, but none turned out to be valid. Does anybody
> know how to specify the default value such that I get no exception, or have
> I been misled by thinking the problem lays with the default value?
>
> thanks
>
> Tobi

Re: Non-String channel properties

Ard
On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 10:33 AM, Ard Schrijvers
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey Tobias,
>
> On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 10:30 AM, Tobias Jeger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Hippos,
>>
>> I have a Boolean channel property, defined in a ChannelInfo interface like
>>
>>     @Parameter(name = "commentingEnabled", defaultValue = "false")
>>     Boolean isCommentingEnabled();
>>
>> If my channel does not have this property specified and I broswe to the
>> channel on the site, I see
>>
>> [INFO] [talledLocalContainer] hobosa:8080 14.02.2013 10:00:30 WARN
>> [org.hippoecm.hst.core.container.HstComponentInvokerImpl.invokeBeforeRender():151]
>> Component exception caught on window comments with component
>> com.onehippo.hobosa.components.Comments: java.lang.ClassCastException:
>> java.lang.String cannot be cast to java.lang.Boolean at
>> $Proxy57.isCommentingEnabled(Unknown Source)
>
> Can you mail the stacktrace which you can see if you set
> HstComponentInvokerImpl logging to DEBUG (you can do most likely in
> running environment at /cms/logging)
>
> Also, which version are you using? I am quite confident I fixed this
> in the 7.8, but I don't think it is backported

Ps also see https://issues.onehippo.com/browse/HSTTWO-2250 where I
fixed a lot regarding default values

Regards ard

> Regards Ard
>
>> [INFO] [talledLocalContainer] hobosa:8080 14.02.2013 10:00:30 WARN
>> [org.hippoecm.hst.core.container.DefaultPageErrorHandler.logWarningsForEachComponentExceptions():49]
>> Component exception found on com.onehippo.hobosa.components.Comments :
>> java.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.String cannot be cast to
>> java.lang.Boolean
>>
>> triggered by the call to above method. I get no class cast exception when
>> the property is defined, so I suspect it relates to the property missing,
>> and the default value being applied. I tried various things to specify the
>> default value in another way, but none turned out to be valid. Does anybody
>> know how to specify the default value such that I get no exception, or have
>> I been misled by thinking the problem lays with the default value?
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> Tobi
>>

>> --
>> Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam
>> Boston - 1 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142
>>
>> US +1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
>> Europe +31(0)20 522 4466
>> www.onehippo.com

Re: Non-String channel properties

Tobias Jeger
This is 7.7.8. Stack backtrace is

[INFO] [talledLocalContainer] hobosa:8080 14.02.2013 10:55:46 WARN  [org.hippoecm.hst.core.container.HstComponentInvokerImpl.invokeBeforeRender():149] Component exception caught on window comments with component com.onehippo.hobosa.components.Comments: java.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.String cannot be cast to java.lang.Boolean
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer] java.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.String cannot be cast to java.lang.Boolean
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at $Proxy57.isCommentingEnabled(Unknown Source)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at com.onehippo.hobosa.components.Comments.doBeforeRender(Comments.java:66)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at org.hippoecm.hst.core.container.HstComponentInvokerImpl.invokeBeforeRender(HstComponentInvokerImpl.java:128)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor62.invoke(Unknown Source)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at org.springframework.aop.support.AopUtils.invokeJoinpointUsingReflection(AopUtils.java:309)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.invokeJoinpoint(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:183)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:150)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at org.springframework.aop.aspectj.MethodInvocationProceedingJoinPoint.proceed(MethodInvocationProceedingJoinPoint.java:80)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at org.hippoecm.hst.core.logging.HstComponentInvokerProfiler.profile(HstComponentInvokerProfiler.java:70)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor61.invoke(Unknown Source)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at org.springframework.aop.aspectj.AbstractAspectJAdvice.invokeAdviceMethodWithGivenArgs(AbstractAspectJAdvice.java:621)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at org.springframework.aop.aspectj.AbstractAspectJAdvice.invokeAdviceMethod(AbstractAspectJAdvice.java:610)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at org.springframework.aop.aspectj.AspectJAroundAdvice.invoke(AspectJAroundAdvice.java:65)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:172)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at org.springframework.aop.interceptor.ExposeInvocationInterceptor.invoke(ExposeInvocationInterceptor.java:89)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:172)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:202)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at $Proxy41.invokeBeforeRender(Unknown Source)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at org.hippoecm.hst.core.container.AggregationValve.processWindowsBeforeRender(AggregationValve.java:333)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at org.hippoecm.hst.core.container.AggregationValve.invoke(AggregationValve.java:114)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at org.hippoecm.hst.core.container.HstSitePipeline$Invocation.invokeNext(HstSitePipeline.java:269)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at org.hippoecm.hst.core.container.ComponentRenderingValve.invoke(ComponentRenderingValve.java:42)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at org.hippoecm.hst.core.container.ResourceServingValve.invoke(ResourceServingValve.java:80)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at org.hippoecm.hst.core.container.ActionValve.invoke(ActionValve.java:205)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at org.hippoecm.hst.core.container.SiteMenusResolvingValve.invoke(SiteMenusResolvingValve.java:35)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at org.hippoecm.hst.core.container.JCRSessionStatefulConcurrencyValve.invoke(JCRSessionStatefulConcurrencyValve.java:97)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at org.hippoecm.hst.core.container.SubjectBasedSessionValve.invoke(SubjectBasedSessionValve.java:59)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at com.onehippo.hobosa.valve.HobosaSecurityValve.invoke(HobosaSecurityValve.java:87)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at org.hippoecm.hst.core.container.SecurityValve.invoke(SecurityValve.java:160)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at org.hippoecm.hst.core.container.LocalizationValve.invoke(LocalizationValve.java:85)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at org.hippoecm.hst.core.container.ContextResolvingValve.invoke(ContextResolvingValve.java:102)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at org.hippoecm.hst.core.container.CmsSecurityValve.invoke(CmsSecurityValve.java:80)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at org.hippoecm.hst.core.container.InitializationValve.invoke(InitializationValve.java:71)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at org.hippoecm.hst.core.container.HstSitePipeline.invokeValves(HstSitePipeline.java:235)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at org.hippoecm.hst.core.container.HstSitePipeline.invoke(HstSitePipeline.java:221)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at org.hippoecm.hst.core.container.HstRequestProcessorImpl.processRequest(HstRequestProcessorImpl.java:69)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at org.hippoecm.hst.container.HstFilter.processResolvedSiteMapItem(HstFilter.java:765)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at org.hippoecm.hst.container.HstFilter.doFilter(HstFilter.java:400)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:235)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at org.hippoecm.hst.container.XSSUrlFilter.doFilter(XSSUrlFilter.java:49)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at org.springframework.web.filter.CharacterEncodingFilter.doFilterInternal(CharacterEncodingFilter.java:88)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at org.springframework.web.filter.OncePerRequestFilter.doFilter(OncePerRequestFilter.java:76)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:233)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:191)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:470)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:127)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:102)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(AccessLogValve.java:615)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:109)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:293)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:859)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:602)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:489)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 10:33 AM, Ard Schrijvers <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey Tobias,

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 10:30 AM, Tobias Jeger <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Hippos,
>
> I have a Boolean channel property, defined in a ChannelInfo interface like
>
>     @Parameter(name = "commentingEnabled", defaultValue = "false")
>     Boolean isCommentingEnabled();
>
> If my channel does not have this property specified and I broswe to the
> channel on the site, I see
>
> [INFO] [talledLocalContainer] hobosa:8080 14.02.2013 10:00:30 WARN
> [org.hippoecm.hst.core.container.HstComponentInvokerImpl.invokeBeforeRender():151]
> Component exception caught on window comments with component
> com.onehippo.hobosa.components.Comments: java.lang.ClassCastException:
> java.lang.String cannot be cast to java.lang.Boolean at
> $Proxy57.isCommentingEnabled(Unknown Source)

Can you mail the stacktrace which you can see if you set
HstComponentInvokerImpl logging to DEBUG (you can do most likely in
running environment at /cms/logging)

Also, which version are you using? I am quite confident I fixed this
in the 7.8, but I don't think it is backported

Regards Ard

> [INFO] [talledLocalContainer] hobosa:8080 14.02.2013 10:00:30 WARN
> [org.hippoecm.hst.core.container.DefaultPageErrorHandler.logWarningsForEachComponentExceptions():49]
> Component exception found on com.onehippo.hobosa.components.Comments :
> java.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.String cannot be cast to
> java.lang.Boolean
>
> triggered by the call to above method. I get no class cast exception when
> the property is defined, so I suspect it relates to the property missing,
> and the default value being applied. I tried various things to specify the
> default value in another way, but none turned out to be valid. Does anybody
> know how to specify the default value such that I get no exception, or have
> I been misled by thinking the problem lays with the default value?
>
> thanks
>
> Tobi

US <a href="tel:%2B1%20877%20414%204776" value="+18774144776">+1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
Europe <a href="tel:%2B31%280%2920%20522%204466" value="+31205224466">+31(0)20 522 4466

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 10:58 AM, Tobias Jeger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is 7.7.8. Stack backtrace is
>

> [INFO] [talledLocalContainer] hobosa:8080 14.02.2013 10:55:46 WARN
> [org.hippoecm.hst.core.container.HstComponentInvokerImpl.invokeBeforeRender():149]
> Component exception caught on window comments with component
> com.onehippo.hobosa.components.Comments: java.lang.ClassCastException:
> java.lang.String cannot be cast to java.lang.Boolean
> [INFO] [talledLocalContainer] java.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.String
> cannot be cast to java.lang.Boolean
> [INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at $Proxy57.isCommentingEnabled(Unknown
> Source)

Crap, the Unknown Source doesn't make it easier :)

I am quite sure the exception comes from
HstParameterInfoProxyFactoryImpl$ParameterInfoInvocationHandler#invoke

Can you set a break point there? Either way, I hit this problem before
as well (also for Long / Double) and quite sure I fixed it in the
7.8.0. I needed a boolean for our campus site with the 7.7.x before as
well, and then ended up making sure that the property would always be
present in the channel info properties in the repository. I fixed the
problem in 7.8.0....

Regards Ard

> [...]
>> > the property is defined, so I suspect it relates to the property
>> > missing,
>> > and the default value being applied. I tried various things to specify
>> > the
>> > default value in another way, but none turned out to be valid. Does
>> > anybody
>> > know how to specify the default value such that I get no exception, or
>> > have
>> > I been misled by thinking the problem lays with the default value?
>> >
>> > thanks
>> >
>> > Tobi
>> >

>> > --
>> > Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam
>> > Boston - 1 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142
>> >
>> > US +1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
>> > Europe +31(0)20 522 4466
>> > www.onehippo.com

>> Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam
>> Boston - 1 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142

marijan milicevic
On 02/14/2013 11:09 AM, Ard Schrijvers wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 10:58 AM, Tobias Jeger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> This is 7.7.8. Stack backtrace is
>>

>> [INFO] [talledLocalContainer] hobosa:8080 14.02.2013 10:55:46 WARN
>> [org.hippoecm.hst.core.container.HstComponentInvokerImpl.invokeBeforeRender():149]
>> Component exception caught on window comments with component
>> com.onehippo.hobosa.components.Comments: java.lang.ClassCastException:
>> java.lang.String cannot be cast to java.lang.Boolean
>> [INFO] [talledLocalContainer] java.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.String
>> cannot be cast to java.lang.Boolean
>> [INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at $Proxy57.isCommentingEnabled(Unknown
>> Source)
> Crap, the Unknown Source doesn't make it easier :)
>
> I am quite sure the exception comes from
> HstParameterInfoProxyFactoryImpl$ParameterInfoInvocationHandler#invoke
>
> Can you set a break point there? Either way, I hit this problem before
hint:

just add an "Exception breakpoint" and choose "java.lang.ClassCastException"

cheers
/m

> [...]
>> [INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 10:33 AM, Ard Schrijvers <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>> Hey Tobias,

>>> Can you mail the stacktrace which you can see if you set
>>> HstComponentInvokerImpl logging to DEBUG (you can do most likely in
>>> running environment at /cms/logging)
>>>
>>> Also, which version are you using? I am quite confident I fixed this
>>> in the 7.8, but I don't think it is backported
>>>
>>> Regards Ard

>>> --
>>> Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam
>>> Boston - 1 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142
>>>
>>> US +1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
>>> Europe +31(0)20 522 4466
>>> www.onehippo.com

>> Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam
>> Boston - 1 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142

that's unfortunate. I'll look into writing an updater then, to make sure the property is always there.

thanks

Tobi