Question about facet select with full text search

Question about facet select with full text search

Allard
I was one of the team that allowed Jettro to play on his playstation instead of doing the cool stuff (see discussion here).

Now I was wondering whether it is possible to do a facet select over results of a (full text) search query. I've read the articles about facetted search, but they seem to only search in the entire unfiltered content.

Re: Question about facet select with full text search

Ard
Hello Allard,

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 9:02 AM, Allard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was one of the team that allowed Jettro to play on his playstation instead
> of doing the cool stuff (
> http://n2.nabble.com/question-about-queries-and-facets-td2347068.html see
> discussion here ).
>
> Now I was wondering whether it is possible to do a facet select over results
> of a (full text) search query. I've read the articles about facetted search,
> but they seem to only search in the entire unfiltered content.

To avoid confusion, i think we need to get, sometimes confusing terms,
straight first: We have a facetselect, which can be seen as a
(filtered) mirror, and we have a facetsearch, something that results
in facetted navigation through the content.

Now, I am confused about ' a facet select over results of a (full
text) search query.', unless you mean, you want in a faceted search,
also to embed a free text search, to limit the number of results in
the facetted navigation. This is a good question. We will provide this
feature on short notice, but currently, this is not yet possible. For
now, you would best go by adding an extra facet which functions to
limit results. Another thing that will be done in short notice, is
that a facetsearch after a facetselect, will include the filter of the
facetselect (in other words, a facetsearch in a live environment,
should only return 'live' documents)

Re: Question about facet select with full text search

Allard
Ard,

that was exactly what I meant: a faceted search with an embedded free text search.

Do you have any clue on how short the notice will be? Are we talking days, weeks or months?

Thanks!

Allard

Ard wrote
Hello Allard,

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 9:02 AM, Allard <allard@jteam.nl> wrote:

> I was one of the team that allowed Jettro to play on his playstation instead
> of doing the cool stuff (
> http://n2.nabble.com/question-about-queries-and-facets-td2347068.html see
> discussion here ).
>
> Now I was wondering whether it is possible to do a facet select over results
> of a (full text) search query. I've read the articles about facetted search,
> but they seem to only search in the entire unfiltered content.

To avoid confusion, i think we need to get, sometimes confusing terms,
straight first: We have a facetselect, which can be seen as a
(filtered) mirror, and we have a facetsearch, something that results
in facetted navigation through the content.

Now, I am confused about ' a facet select over results of a (full
text) search query.', unless you mean, you want in a faceted search,
also to embed a free text search, to limit the number of results in
the facetted navigation. This is a good question. We will provide this
feature on short notice, but currently, this is not yet possible. For
now, you would best go by adding an extra facet which functions to
limit results. Another thing that will be done in short notice, is
that a facetsearch after a facetselect, will include the filter of the
facetselect (in other words, a facetsearch in a live environment,
should only return 'live' documents)

Re: Question about facet select with full text search

Ard
I currently am working on the hst2, so not up2date with the planning.
A matter of days it won't, because it is a delicate subject (the
hardest part is supporting this jsr compatible), and a matter of
months it will be neither. So, couple of weeks most likely. The same
holds for the facetsearching inheriting the filter from a facetselect,
this is also indispensible IMO.

If you want, I could sort out the planning regarding this issue, or,
perhaps somebody else reading this knows this

Ard