Quick feedback needed regarding renaming of getParameter/getParameters/getParametersInfo in BaseHstComponent

Quick feedback needed regarding renaming of getParameter/getParameters/getParametersInfo in BaseHstComponent

the methods

BaseHstComponent#getParameter(HstRequest)
BaseHstComponent#getParameters(HstRequest)
BaseHstComponent#getParametersInfo(HstRequest)
etc

are in my opinion confusing as it might give developers the impression
that it returns a parameter from the HttpServletRequest (which the
HstRequest wraps). For example #getPublicRequestParameter *does*
return a parameter from the HttpServletRequest.

Hence, I want to deprecate getParameter(HstRequest),
getParameters(HstRequest), getParametersInfo(HstRequest),
getLocalParameter(HstRequest) and getLocalParameters(HstRequest) and
replace them with

BaseHstComponent#getComponentParameter();
BaseHstComponent#getComponentParameters();
BaseHstComponent#getComponentParametersInfo();
BaseHstComponent#getLocalComponentParameter();
BaseHstComponent#getLocalComponentParameters();

NOTE : No HstRequest argument needed at all to make the distinction
with HttpServletRequest even more clear!

I have 1 more hour to do this before my holiday. If you do not like
this, pls be quick :)

Re: Quick feedback needed regarding renaming of getParameter/getParameters/getParametersInfo in BaseHstComponent

Hi Ard,

ik like the change, but If possible can you make the name more
distinct between these two methods?

> BaseHstComponent#getComponentParameter();
> BaseHstComponent#getLocalComponentParameter();

Without looking at the API docs the above confuses me a bit. What
makes a parameter local?

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 2:57 PM, Ard Schrijvers
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> the methods
>
> BaseHstComponent#getParameter(HstRequest)
> BaseHstComponent#getParameters(HstRequest)
> BaseHstComponent#getParametersInfo(HstRequest)
> etc
>
> are in my opinion confusing as it might give developers the impression
> that it returns a parameter from the HttpServletRequest (which the
> HstRequest wraps). For example #getPublicRequestParameter *does*
> return a parameter from the HttpServletRequest.
>
> Hence, I want to deprecate getParameter(HstRequest),
> getParameters(HstRequest), getParametersInfo(HstRequest),
> getLocalParameter(HstRequest) and getLocalParameters(HstRequest) and
> replace them with
>
> BaseHstComponent#getComponentParameter();
> BaseHstComponent#getComponentParameters();
> BaseHstComponent#getComponentParametersInfo();
> BaseHstComponent#getLocalComponentParameter();
> BaseHstComponent#getLocalComponentParameters();
>
> NOTE : No HstRequest argument needed at all to make the distinction
> with HttpServletRequest even more clear!
>
> I have 1 more hour to do this before my holiday. If you do not like
> this, pls be quick :)
>
> Regards Ard

Re: Quick feedback needed regarding renaming of getParameter/getParameters/getParametersInfo in BaseHstComponent

Ard
On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 3:19 PM, Jeroen Reijn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Ard,
>
> ik like the change, but If possible can you make the name more
> distinct between these two methods?
>
>> BaseHstComponent#getComponentParameter();
>> BaseHstComponent#getLocalComponentParameter();
>
> Without looking at the API docs the above confuses me a bit. What
> makes a parameter local?

well...het is a confusing concept, that is the problem :)

local component parameters are the component configuration parameters
without inheritance...you have a better name for it? They are
parameters local to the component :)

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> the methods
>
> BaseHstComponent#getParameter(HstRequest)
> BaseHstComponent#getParameters(HstRequest)
> BaseHstComponent#getParametersInfo(HstRequest)
> etc
>
> are in my opinion confusing as it might give developers the impression
> that it returns a parameter from the HttpServletRequest (which the
> HstRequest wraps). For example #getPublicRequestParameter *does*
> return a parameter from the HttpServletRequest.
>
> Hence, I want to deprecate getParameter(HstRequest),
> getParameters(HstRequest), getParametersInfo(HstRequest),
> getLocalParameter(HstRequest) and getLocalParameters(HstRequest) and
> replace them with
>
> BaseHstComponent#getComponentParameter();
> BaseHstComponent#getComponentParameters();
> BaseHstComponent#getComponentParametersInfo();

ps the one above will become

BaseHstComponent#getComponentParametersInfo(final HstRequest request)

thus still have the HstRequest as the HstRequest (servlet request) is
needed there

Regards Ard

> BaseHstComponent#getLocalComponentParameter();
> BaseHstComponent#getLocalComponentParameters();
>
> NOTE : No HstRequest argument needed at all to make the distinction
> with HttpServletRequest even more clear!
>
> I have 1 more hour to do this before my holiday. If you do not like
> this, pls be quick :)
>
> Regards Ard

Re: Quick feedback needed regarding renaming of getParameter/getParameters/getParametersInfo in BaseHstComponent

Then what about

getLocalComponentParameter and getInheretedComponentParameter?

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 4:03 PM, Jeroen Reijn <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Then what about
>
> getLocalComponentParameter and getInheretedComponentParameter?

I don't want all the others to be called
getInheritedComponentParameter .... the getLocalComponentParameter is
a very exceptional use case covered by java docs imo... I don't want
to burden all developers to have to call all the time
getInheretedComponentParameter...Hope you can agree....

Regards Ard

> On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 3:23 PM, Ard Schrijvers
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 3:19 PM, Jeroen Reijn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi Ard,
>>>
>>> ik like the change, but If possible can you make the name more
>>> distinct between these two methods?

>>> Without looking at the API docs the above confuses me a bit. What
>>> makes a parameter local?
>>
>> well...het is a confusing concept, that is the problem :)
>>
>> local component parameters are the component configuration parameters
>> without inheritance...you have a better name for it? They are
>> parameters local to the component :)

>>> --
>>> Jeroen Reijn
>>> Solution Architect
>>> Hippo
>>>
>>> Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam
>>> Boston - 1 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142
>>>
>>> US +1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
>>> Europe +31(0)20 522 4466
>>> www.onehippo.com
>>>
>>> http://about.me/jeroenreijn

>> Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam
>> Boston - 1 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142
>>
>> US +1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
>> Europe +31(0)20 522 4466
>> www.onehippo.com

> Jeroen Reijn
> Solution Architect
> Hippo

> http://about.me/jeroenreijn

Re: Quick feedback needed regarding renaming of getParameter/getParameters/getParametersInfo in BaseHstComponent

Sure I can agree and I don't really like long method names.

Have you perhaps also though about getComponentParameter(boolean inherited) ?

Then you have one method for doing both? I'm just thinking out loud.

I'm fine with both ideas as long as the API docs are clear.

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 4:12 PM, Jeroen Reijn <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Sure I can agree and I don't really like long method names.
>
> Have you perhaps also though about getComponentParameter(boolean inherited) ?

I dislike boolean arguments to switch between behavior much more than
long method names! Well described in 'clean code' book. Boolean
arguments are for lazy developers who don't take the time to make two
distinct decent method names...this however does certainly not imply I
never use boolean arguments, but I never like it when I do :)

> Then you have one method for doing both? I'm just thinking out loud.
>
> I'm fine with both ideas as long as the API docs are clear.
>

> On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 4:06 PM, Ard Schrijvers
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 4:03 PM, Jeroen Reijn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Then what about
>>>
>>> getLocalComponentParameter and getInheretedComponentParameter?
>>
>> I don't want all the others to be called
>> getInheritedComponentParameter .... the getLocalComponentParameter is
>> a very exceptional use case covered by java docs imo... I don't want
>> to burden all developers to have to call all the time
>> getInheretedComponentParameter...Hope you can agree....
>>
>> Regards Ard

>>> --
>>> Jeroen Reijn
>>> Solution Architect
>>> Hippo
>>>
>>> Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam
>>> Boston - 1 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142
>>>
>>> US +1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
>>> Europe +31(0)20 522 4466
>>> www.onehippo.com
>>>
>>> http://about.me/jeroenreijn

>> Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam
>> Boston - 1 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142
>>
>> US +1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
>> Europe +31(0)20 522 4466
>> www.onehippo.com

> Jeroen Reijn
> Solution Architect
> Hippo

> http://about.me/jeroenreijn

Re: Quick feedback needed regarding renaming of getParameter/getParameters/getParametersInfo in BaseHstComponent

OK point taken. I guess I would go for your first suggestion then ;-)

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 4:17 PM, Ard Schrijvers
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 4:12 PM, Jeroen Reijn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Sure I can agree and I don't really like long method names.
>>
>> Have you perhaps also though about getComponentParameter(boolean inherited) ?
>
> I dislike boolean arguments to switch between behavior much more than
> long method names! Well described in 'clean code' book. Boolean
> arguments are for lazy developers who don't take the time to make two
> distinct decent method names...this however does certainly not imply I
> never use boolean arguments, but I never like it when I do :)
>

>> Then you have one method for doing both? I'm just thinking out loud.
>>
>> I'm fine with both ideas as long as the API docs are clear.
>>

>> On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 4:06 PM, Ard Schrijvers
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I don't want all the others to be called
>>> getInheritedComponentParameter .... the getLocalComponentParameter is
>>> a very exceptional use case covered by java docs imo... I don't want
>>> to burden all developers to have to call all the time
>>> getInheretedComponentParameter...Hope you can agree....
>>>
>>> Regards Ard

>>> --
>>> Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam
>>> Boston - 1 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142
>>>
>>> US +1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
>>> Europe +31(0)20 522 4466
>>> www.onehippo.com

>> Jeroen Reijn
>> Solution Architect
>> Hippo
>>
>> Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam
>> Boston - 1 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142
>>
>> US +1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
>> Europe +31(0)20 522 4466
>> www.onehippo.com
>>
>> http://about.me/jeroenreijn

Re: Quick feedback needed regarding renaming of getParameter/getParameters/getParametersInfo in BaseHstComponent

I like your suggestion.

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 4:19 PM, Jeroen Reijn <[hidden email]> wrote:
> OK point taken. I guess I would go for your first suggestion then ;-)

Yeah sry...I mean, I completely agree with you, don't get that wrong.
I think it is the inheritance concept of parameters I regret a little.
From that inheritance (which is a bit vague since hst component
*items* don't inherit) the getLocalParameter comes. If I could do it
all over, I think the parameter inheritance altogether could better be
skipped, and then, we wouldn't have this naming issue either :))

Hence, I'd like to have the most straight forward name for the common
usecase, and the 'local' crappy name for the exceptional use case

Regards Ard

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 4:22 PM, Wouter Danes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I like your suggestion.

It's done...

and while updating the archetype, testsuite and gogreen with the new
methods I thought directly that it became much clearer and less
confusing directly..

thanks for yout feedback