Rewriting rich text fields runtime context aware (creating a lightbox for example)

Rewriting rich text fields runtime context aware (creating a lightbox for example)

Ard
Hello all,

Since quite some time, you can as developer change how rich text
fields are rewritten in your site webapp. With the recent addition of
image variants [1], the possibilities have become even nicer. You can
as a developer easily choose to show a small image in mobile apps, a
medium one in tablets, and a large one for websites. Or, with upcoming
7.8 features, opt to serve low quality image variants for
low-bandwidth visitors (mobile visitors for example). Also, things
like creating a lightbox (toggling an image to show an enlarged one)
can be achieved easily, even context aware [3]

If tried to document it, including an entire walk-through for creating
the lightbox feature. See [2], [3]. If there are things unclear, or
questions, you know where to find me

Regards Ard

[1] https://wiki.onehippo.com/display/CMS7/Render+different+image+variants
[2] https://wiki.onehippo.com/display/CMS7/HST-2+Rewriting+rich+text+field+runtime
[3] https://wiki.onehippo.com/display/CMS7/HST-2+Example+of+Context+Aware+Lightbox+for+all+inline+images

Re: Rewriting rich text fields runtime context aware (creating a lightbox for example)

Wouter Danes-2
Very nice improvements, Ard! I'll do some playing around with it. :)

Re: Rewriting rich text fields runtime context aware (creating a lightbox for example)

> Since quite some time, you can as developer change how rich text
> fields are rewritten in your site webapp. With the recent addition of
> image variants [1], the possibilities have become even nicer. You can
> as a developer easily choose to show a small image in mobile apps, a
> medium one in tablets, and a large one for websites. Or, with upcoming
> 7.8 features, opt to serve low quality image variants for
> low-bandwidth visitors (mobile visitors for example). Also, things
> like creating a lightbox (toggling an image to show an enlarged one)
> can be achieved easily, even context aware [3]
>
> If tried to document it, including an entire walk-through for creating
> the lightbox feature. See [2], [3]. If there are things unclear, or
> questions, you know where to find me
>
> Regards Ard
>
> [1] https://wiki.onehippo.com/display/CMS7/Render+different+image+variants
> [2] https://wiki.onehippo.com/display/CMS7/HST-2+Rewriting+rich+text+field+runtime
> [3] https://wiki.onehippo.com/display/CMS7/HST-2+Example+of+Context+Aware+Lightbox+for+all+inline+images

Also see my thoughts on Responsive Design: http://blogs.onehippo.org/arje/2012/05/is_responsive_design_too_much.html
You fixed it :)

Arje

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 2:28 PM, Arje Cahn <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Since quite some time, you can as developer change how rich text
>> fields are rewritten in your site webapp. With the recent addition of
>> image variants [1], the possibilities have become even nicer. You can
>> as a developer easily choose to show a small image in mobile apps, a
>> medium one in tablets, and a large one for websites. Or, with upcoming
>> 7.8 features, opt to serve low quality image variants for
>> low-bandwidth visitors (mobile visitors for example). Also, things
>> like creating a lightbox (toggling an image to show an enlarged one)
>> can be achieved easily, even context aware [3]
>>
>> If tried to document it, including an entire walk-through for creating
>> the lightbox feature. See [2], [3]. If there are things unclear, or
>> questions, you know where to find me
>>
>> Regards Ard
>>
>> [1] https://wiki.onehippo.com/display/CMS7/Render+different+image+variants
>> [2] https://wiki.onehippo.com/display/CMS7/HST-2+Rewriting+rich+text+field+runtime
>> [3] https://wiki.onehippo.com/display/CMS7/HST-2+Example+of+Context+Aware+Lightbox+for+all+inline+images
>
> Also see my thoughts on Responsive Design: http://blogs.onehippo.org/arje/2012/05/is_responsive_design_too_much.html
> You fixed it :)

Ard actually made it possible to do a nice RESS[1] implementation
(which is an improvement over responsive design, which is *just* CSS3
and javascript based). With the new CachingValve this will actually
also perform quite nicely for high traffic sites without a frontend
cache. I would opt for the browser detection within a valve so you can
actually use this as the cache key based on the device capabilities.
That will give you quite a killer combo. :-)

[1] http://www.lukew.com/ff/entry.asp?1392

> Arje

Re: Rewriting rich text fields runtime context aware (creating a lightbox for example)

>>> [1] https://wiki.onehippo.com/display/CMS7/Render+different+image+variants
>>> [2] https://wiki.onehippo.com/display/CMS7/HST-2+Rewriting+rich+text+field+runtime
>>> [3] https://wiki.onehippo.com/display/CMS7/HST-2+Example+of+Context+Aware+Lightbox+for+all+inline+images
>>
>> Also see my thoughts on Responsive Design: http://blogs.onehippo.org/arje/2012/05/is_responsive_design_too_much.html
>> You fixed it :)
>
> Ard actually made it possible to do a nice RESS[1] implementation

You don't really think that's a coincidence, now do you? :-P

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 4:52 PM, Jeroen Reijn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 2:28 PM, Arje Cahn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Since quite some time, you can as developer change how rich text
>>> fields are rewritten in your site webapp. With the recent addition of
>>> image variants [1], the possibilities have become even nicer. You can
>>> as a developer easily choose to show a small image in mobile apps, a
>>> medium one in tablets, and a large one for websites. Or, with upcoming
>>> 7.8 features, opt to serve low quality image variants for
>>> low-bandwidth visitors (mobile visitors for example). Also, things
>>> like creating a lightbox (toggling an image to show an enlarged one)
>>> can be achieved easily, even context aware [3]
>>>
>>> If tried to document it, including an entire walk-through for creating
>>> the lightbox feature. See [2], [3]. If there are things unclear, or
>>> questions, you know where to find me
>>>
>>> Regards Ard
>>>
>>> [1] https://wiki.onehippo.com/display/CMS7/Render+different+image+variants
>>> [2] https://wiki.onehippo.com/display/CMS7/HST-2+Rewriting+rich+text+field+runtime
>>> [3] https://wiki.onehippo.com/display/CMS7/HST-2+Example+of+Context+Aware+Lightbox+for+all+inline+images
>>
>> Also see my thoughts on Responsive Design: http://blogs.onehippo.org/arje/2012/05/is_responsive_design_too_much.html
>> You fixed it :)
>
> Ard actually made it possible to do a nice RESS[1] implementation
> (which is an improvement over responsive design, which is *just* CSS3
> and javascript based). With the new CachingValve this will actually
> also perform quite nicely for high traffic sites without a frontend

quite nicely is an understatement ... it is about 10.000 pages a
second on my laptop :-)

> cache. I would opt for the browser detection within a valve so you can
> actually use this as the cache key based on the device capabilities.

Great idea Reijn! For the caching valve, I want to introduce something
new to the ValveContext : Every valve can inject some value for
'qualifying' the request : This will become part of the cachekey used
in the caching valve

So, in your case, it might be that you want to include a valve that
inject the browser type as part of the request qualifier. Should be
very straight forward, more on this later when the caching valve is
finished

Ard

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 5:34 PM, Arje Cahn <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Also see my thoughts on Responsive Design: http://blogs.onehippo.org/arje/2012/05/is_responsive_design_too_much.html
>>> You fixed it :)
>>
>> Ard actually made it possible to do a nice RESS[1] implementation
>
> You don't really think that's a coincidence, now do you? :-P

Well, I was unfamiliar with term RESS, but I couldn't agree more with
some talk I saw from Arje about the responsive design flaws : It can't
be only responsive design. It doesn't make sense to send heavy images
to hte mobile and the don't show them because they are to large

We can build this all quite easily now. Combined with targeting we
have device information for free...all pieces are nicely falling in
place

Ard

>> (which is an improvement over responsive design, which is *just* CSS3
>> and javascript based). With the new CachingValve this will actually
>> also perform quite nicely for high traffic sites without a frontend
>> cache. I would opt for the browser detection within a valve so you can
>> actually use this as the cache key based on the device capabilities.
>> That will give you quite a killer combo. :-)

Re: Rewriting rich text fields runtime context aware (creating a lightbox for example)

Can I invalidate this caching-valve-cached page using a jcr listener? :)

Op 1 aug. 2012 23:42 schreef "Wouter Danes" <[hidden email]> het volgende:

> Can I invalidate this caching-valve-cached page using a jcr listener? :)

That will be done out of the box of course. I though want to invest to only invalidate it on an event that effects live as only live pages will be cached. Thus not the preview. More about it later

b.vanderschans@onehippo.com
On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 10:31 PM, Ard Schrijvers
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Ard actually made it possible to do a nice RESS[1] implementation
>>
>> You don't really think that's a coincidence, now do you? :-P
>
> Well, I was unfamiliar with term RESS, but I couldn't agree more with
> some talk I saw from Arje about the responsive design flaws : It can't
> be only responsive design. It doesn't make sense to send heavy images
> to hte mobile and the don't show them because they are to large

Isn't this exactly what responsive design is about? Sending the right
sized images to the right device instead of just sending the big one?

Regards,
Bart

Re: Rewriting rich text fields runtime context aware (creating a lightbox for example)

Ard
On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 11:10 AM, Bart van der Schans
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 10:31 PM, Ard Schrijvers
> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> You don't really think that's a coincidence, now do you? :-P
>>
>> Well, I was unfamiliar with term RESS, but I couldn't agree more with
>> some talk I saw from Arje about the responsive design flaws : It can't
>> be only responsive design. It doesn't make sense to send heavy images
>> to hte mobile and the don't show them because they are to large
>
> Isn't this exactly what responsive design is about? Sending the right
> sized images to the right device instead of just sending the big one?

Afaik responsive design if primarily focusing on the client. Thus,
send everything to the client, and let responsive design decide what
to show. This is exactly what Arje indicates as being flawed. The
serverside needs to be involved as well

> Bart

Re: Rewriting rich text fields runtime context aware (creating a lightbox for example)

b.vanderschans@onehippo.com
On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 11:23 AM, Ard Schrijvers
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 11:10 AM, Bart van der Schans
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 10:31 PM, Ard Schrijvers
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Well, I was unfamiliar with term RESS, but I couldn't agree more with
>>> some talk I saw from Arje about the responsive design flaws : It can't
>>> be only responsive design. It doesn't make sense to send heavy images
>>> to hte mobile and the don't show them because they are to large
>>
>> Isn't this exactly what responsive design is about? Sending the right
>> sized images to the right device instead of just sending the big one?
>
> Afaik responsive design if primarily focusing on the client. Thus,
> send everything to the client, and let responsive design decide what
> to show. This is exactly what Arje indicates as being flawed. The
> serverside needs to be involved as well

Ah ok. That explains.

Bart