Running mutiple sites

12

Running mutiple sites

Zeljko Kovacevic
In case multiple sites should use same CMS/repository, how can I organize my structure to accomplish this. For example, looking at the console, there is hst:configuration section which must be adjusted to support this, same goes for content section, etc. What is the best way to do this?
Also there is a question regarding user rights. For example If I have two editors, first one is the editor for site1 and another is editor for site2. If I want to separate editor view in CMS for those two editors, to be sure that content of site1 can not be seen by editor2, how can I do that?

Is it possible to have all this, configured with only one CMS/repository?

Thanks!

Zeljko

Re: Running mutiple sites

Ard
Hello Zeljko (cc hst dev list),

In order to keep this thread clean, I will only consider multi site
configuration. I think you can better post a separate thread on the
cms list for the user rights in the cms if ok with you (somebody on
the cms list can help you with that separate config issue)

Now, running multiple sites in the hst, you only need to configure
some parts. Also, you have to think whether the subsites share the
same jsps or hst:confioguration, or that they are, for example,
completely independent. Assume the latter:

Now, if you have multiple sites, you start with having multiple
contents, so suppose you have:

STEP 1

/content
     ` documents
               |- mysite1
               `- mysite2

Now, you normally have a node, hst:configuration/hst:configuration.
I'd recommend in case of multiple sites the following setup:

STEP 2

/myconfigurations (nt:unstructured)
      |- mysite1
      |         `- hst:configuration
      |                       `- hst:configuration
      `- mysite2
               `- hst:configuration
                             `- hst:configuration

So, now, you have two configurations. Make sure, that if you move the
existing hst:configuration node, it might get a different uuid:
correct the uuid of /preview/hst:configuration and
/live/hst:configuration to this new uuid! (it must be the uuid of the
first hst:configuration node, the handle thus)

STEP 3

create extra virtualhosts.

You probably has hst:virtualhosts a host, like 127.0.0.1

I recommend a node structure something like:

hst:virtualhosts
       ` com
             |- mysite1
             |      |- www
             |      `- preview
             `- mysite2
                    |- www
                    `- preview

Now, you have 4 domains,  preview and www.mysite1.com and preview and
www.mysite2.com

Make sure that on the mysite1 and mysite2 node, you add a property:

hst:sitename, where the for mysite1 the value is mysite1 and similar
for mysite2.

STEP 4

Add the preview / live entries

You already have something like:

/preview
    ` mysite1
           |- hst:content
           `- hst:configuration

Now, copy mysite1 as mysite2. Go the the hst:content of mysite1, and
fill in the correct hippo:docbase (the uuid of content mysite2: make
sure you first delete the property and then add it again with correct
value: only changing the value does not get picked up if you do not
delete the prop, this is a small known issue). Also correct the uuid
for the hst:configuration.

That is it....

I think we might add some plugin for it in the future, handling all
these steps for you. OTOH, if you see how it works...it is only
configurations, and works quite well.

Regards Ard

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 11:40 AM, Zeljko Kovacevic
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
> In case multiple sites should use same CMS/repository, how can I organize my
> structure to accomplish this. For example, looking at the console, there is
> hst:configuration section which must be adjusted to support this, same goes
> for content section, etc. What is the best way to do this?
> Also there is a question regarding user rights. For example If I have two
> editors, first one is the editor for site1 and another is editor for site2.
> If I want to separate editor view in CMS for those two editors, to be sure
> that content of site1 can not be seen by editor2, how can I do that?
>
> Is it possible to have all this, configured with only one CMS/repository?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Zeljko

Re: [Hippo-hst-dev] Re: Running mutiple sites

Thanks Ard for this detailed description. Can somebody pick this up and
put it into the docs?

Ard Schrijvers wrote:

> [...]
> configurations, and works quite well.
>
> Regards Ard
>
> On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 11:40 AM, Zeljko Kovacevic
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> In case multiple sites should use same CMS/repository, how can I organize my
>> structure to accomplish this. For example, looking at the console, there is
>> hst:configuration section which must be adjusted to support this, same goes
>> for content section, etc. What is the best way to do this?
>> Also there is a question regarding user rights. For example If I have two
>> editors, first one is the editor for site1 and another is editor for site2.
>> If I want to separate editor view in CMS for those two editors, to be sure
>> that content of site1 can not be seen by editor2, how can I do that?
>>
>> Is it possible to have all this, configured with only one CMS/repository?

Re: Running mutiple sites

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 12:03 PM, Ard Schrijvers
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Zeljko (cc hst dev list),
> STEP 2
>
> /myconfigurations (nt:unstructured)
>      |- mysite1
>      |         `- hst:configuration
>      |                       `- hst:configuration
>      `- mysite2
>               `- hst:configuration
>                             `- hst:configuration

ps: I forgot to mention, that you can also better change one
hst-config.properties :

Change :

observation.sites.config.node.path = /hst:configuration/hst:configuration

into

observation.sites.config.node.path = /myconfigurations

Otherwise, changes in your configuration aren't being picked up by the HST2.

Re: Running mutiple sites

Zeljko Kovacevic
Great! Thanks a lot. I will try this.

Ard wrote
<a.schrijvers@onehippo.com> wrote:
> Hello Zeljko (cc hst dev list),
> STEP 2
>
> /myconfigurations (nt:unstructured)
>      |- mysite1
>      |         `- hst:configuration
>      |                       `- hst:configuration
>      `- mysite2
>               `- hst:configuration
>                             `- hst:configuration

ps: I forgot to mention, that you can also better change one
hst-config.properties :

Change :

observation.sites.config.node.path = /hst:configuration/hst:configuration

into

observation.sites.config.node.path = /myconfigurations

Otherwise, changes in your configuration aren't being picked up by the HST2.

Re: Running mutiple sites

Ard
On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 12:40 PM, Zeljko Kovacevic
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Great! Thanks a lot. I will try this.

hope you let me know if you ran into any troubles, and better, also if
you didn't :-)

Regards Ard

> Ard wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 12:03 PM, Ard Schrijvers
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hello Zeljko (cc hst dev list),
>>> STEP 2
>>>
>>> /myconfigurations (nt:unstructured)
>>>      |- mysite1
>>>      |         `- hst:configuration
>>>      |                       `- hst:configuration
>>>      `- mysite2
>>>               `- hst:configuration
>>>                             `- hst:configuration
>>
>> ps: I forgot to mention, that you can also better change one
>> hst-config.properties :
>>
>> Change :
>>
>> observation.sites.config.node.path = /hst:configuration/hst:configuration
>>
>> into
>>
>> observation.sites.config.node.path = /myconfigurations
>>
>> Otherwise, changes in your configuration aren't being picked up by the
>> HST2.
>>
>> Regards Ard

RE: [Hippo-cms7-user] Running mutiple sites

Zeljko Kovacevic

This is one of the requirements for new project. We are in the phase of „initial  study“.  In case we start  implementation, there will be more questions/information for sure :)

Response you gave is more than enough  at the moment. Thanks, once again.

Zeljko

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Great! Thanks a lot. I will try this.

hope you let me know if you ran into any troubles, and better, also if
you didn't :-)

Regards Ard

> Ard wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 12:03 PM, Ard Schrijvers
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hello Zeljko (cc hst dev list),
>>> STEP 2
>>>
>>> /myconfigurations (nt:unstructured)
>>>      |- mysite1
>>>      |         `- hst:configuration
>>>      |                       `- hst:configuration
>>>      `- mysite2
>>>               `- hst:configuration
>>>                             `- hst:configuration
>>
>> ps: I forgot to mention, that you can also better change one
>> hst-config.properties :
>>
>> Change :
>>
>> observation.sites.config.node.path = /hst:configuration/hst:configuration
>>
>> into
>>
>> observation.sites.config.node.path = /myconfigurations
>>
>> Otherwise, changes in your configuration aren't being picked up by the
>> HST2.
>>
>> Regards Ard

Re: Running mutiple sites

Edwin B.

I'm trying (on a local system, using Jetty) to add a second site next to the current site, just like Ard has explained in this thread.

STEP 1:
Looks like an easy one to me.

STEP 2:
First, I created a new node underneath the root-node, named it "allconfigurations" (nt:unstructured).
Second, inside this node I created two new nodes "currentsite" and "newsite" (both nt:unstructured. Is this right?)
Third, moved the currentsite hst:configuration into the currentsite-node.
Fourth, made a copy of the currentsite hst:configuration into the newsite-node.

STEP 3:
I set up this virtual-host structure like Ard described,
with:
sites (hst:virtualhost)

 |- currentsite (hst:virtualhost)
 |     `- www-local.currentsite.nl

 `- newsite (hst:virtualhost)
 |     `- www-local.newsite.nl

STEP 4:
Set up the live and preview hippo:docbase values for the different hst:content and hst:configuration for both sites. They all show the blue folder-icons to the corresponding uuid's.

This looks al fine to me.
Then I changed the "hst-config.properties"-file inside, like Ard mentioned in a subsequent post:
1. the site-project (site/src/main/webapp/WEB-INF)
2. the site-package-project (sitepackage/src/main/webapp/WEB-INF)

observation.sites.config.node.path = /allconfigurations  (see STEP 2)

Finally, i changed my local hosts file and added the two new sites:
127.0.0.1     www-local.currentsite.nl
127.0.0.1     www-local.newsite.nl

Then I started up the site and browsed to the two sites:
www-local.currentsite.nl and www-local.newsite.nl

Both sites show a page with two URL's: preview and live.
Clicking on these hyperlinks generate a  404 - page not found, for both the current and the new site.

Where did I go wrong?

Regards,
Edwin

Re: Running mutiple sites

Edwin B.
Hey,

Just to let you know what I've figured it out...

In step 3 (about the virtualhosts-structure) I moved up all virtual
host definitions (in sub-sub-nodes) right underneath the top
virtualhosts-node (with "s").
Like this:

/hst:virtualhosts

        |`www-local.currentsite.nl (hst:virtualhost)

        `www-local.newsite.nl (hst:virtualhost)

This did do the job!

But I'd love to create a sub-folder-structure right beneath the
hst:virtualhosts - just do divide the different sites.
How can I manage this? What should be the primary type of the sub-node?

Regards, Edwin

On Feb 3, 2010, at 2:38 PM, Edwin B. wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I'm trying (on a local system, using Jetty) to add a second site
> next to the
> current site, just like Ard has explained in this thread.
>
> STEP 1:
> Looks like an easy one to me.
>
> STEP 2:
> First, I created a new node underneath the root-node, named it
> "allconfigurations" (nt:unstructured).
> Second, inside this node I created two new nodes "currentsite" and
> "newsite"
> (both nt:unstructured. Is this right?)
> Third, moved the currentsite hst:configuration into the currentsite-
> node.
> Fourth, made a copy of the currentsite hst:configuration into the
> newsite-node.
>
> STEP 3:
> I set up this virtual-host structure like Ard described,
> with:
> sites (hst:virtualhost)
> |
> |- currentsite (hst:virtualhost)
> |     `- www-local.currentsite.nl
> |
> `- newsite (hst:virtualhost)
> |     `- www-local.newsite.nl
>

> STEP 4:
> Set up the live and preview hippo:docbase values for the different
> hst:content and hst:configuration for both sites. They all show the
> blue
> folder-icons to the corresponding uuid's.
>

> This looks al fine to me.
> Then I changed the "hst-config.properties"-file inside, like Ard
> mentioned
> in a subsequent post:
> 1. the site-project (site/src/main/webapp/WEB-INF)
> 2. the site-package-project (sitepackage/src/main/webapp/WEB-INF)
>
> observation.sites.config.node.path = /allconfigurations  (see STEP 2)
>

> Finally, i changed my local hosts file and added the two new sites:
> 127.0.0.1     www-local.currentsite.nl
> 127.0.0.1     www-local.newsite.nl
>

> Then I started up the site and browsed to the two sites:
> www-local.currentsite.nl and www-local.newsite.nl
>
> Both sites show a page with two URL's: preview and live.
> Clicking on these hyperlinks generate a  404 - page not found, for
> both the
> current and the new site.
>

> Where did I go wrong?
>
> Regards,
> Edwin

Re: Running mutiple sites

Ard
Hello Edwin,

great you have it working, although I think you can achieve quite
easily what you want (unless I understand the issue incorrect) : you
want to have a different location of the hst:virtualhosts root folder,
right?

In your hst-config.properties, you can define the root folder like this:

virtualhosts.repository.path = /hst:virtualhosts

I must admit that if I would rebuild the feature, I would search the
entire repository, and just get all the hosts, and you don't have to
group them like you have to now. For some future version, we will do a
(backwards compatible) change of the virtualhosts making it much more
flexible and suited for easy supporting of say hundreds of subsites
(where you do not need to configure all, but support for wildcards in
the domains)

Anyways, hope this helps,

Regards Ard

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 9:44 PM, Edwin Benneheij <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> Just to let you know what I've figured it out...
>
> In step 3 (about the virtualhosts-structure) I moved up all virtual host
> definitions (in sub-sub-nodes) right underneath the top virtualhosts-node
> (with "s").
> Like this:
>
> /hst:virtualhosts
>        |`www-local.currentsite.nl (hst:virtualhost)
>        `www-local.newsite.nl (hst:virtualhost)
>
> This did do the job!
>
> But I'd love to create a sub-folder-structure right beneath the
> hst:virtualhosts - just do divide the different sites.
> How can I manage this? What should be the primary type of the sub-node?
>
> Regards, Edwin
>

> On Feb 3, 2010, at 2:38 PM, Edwin B. wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>

>> I'm trying (on a local system, using Jetty) to add a second site next to
>> the
>> current site, just like Ard has explained in this thread.
>>
>> STEP 1:
>> Looks like an easy one to me.
>>
>> STEP 2:
>> First, I created a new node underneath the root-node, named it
>> "allconfigurations" (nt:unstructured).
>> Second, inside this node I created two new nodes "currentsite" and
>> "newsite"
>> (both nt:unstructured. Is this right?)
>> Third, moved the currentsite hst:configuration into the currentsite-node.
>> Fourth, made a copy of the currentsite hst:configuration into the
>> newsite-node.
>>
>> STEP 3:
>> I set up this virtual-host structure like Ard described,
>> with:
>> sites (hst:virtualhost)
>> |
>> |- currentsite (hst:virtualhost)
>> |     `- www-local.currentsite.nl
>> |
>> `- newsite (hst:virtualhost)
>> |     `- www-local.newsite.nl
>>

>> STEP 4:
>> Set up the live and preview hippo:docbase values for the different
>> hst:content and hst:configuration for both sites. They all show the blue
>> folder-icons to the corresponding uuid's.
>>

>> This looks al fine to me.
>> Then I changed the "hst-config.properties"-file inside, like Ard mentioned
>> in a subsequent post:
>> 1. the site-project (site/src/main/webapp/WEB-INF)
>> 2. the site-package-project (sitepackage/src/main/webapp/WEB-INF)
>>
>> observation.sites.config.node.path = /allconfigurations  (see STEP 2)
>>

>> Finally, i changed my local hosts file and added the two new sites:
>> 127.0.0.1     www-local.currentsite.nl
>> 127.0.0.1     www-local.newsite.nl
>>

>> Then I started up the site and browsed to the two sites:
>> www-local.currentsite.nl and www-local.newsite.nl
>>
>> Both sites show a page with two URL's: preview and live.
>> Clicking on these hyperlinks generate a  404 - page not found, for both
>> the
>> current and the new site.
>>

>> Where did I go wrong?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Edwin

Re: Running mutiple sites

Edwin B.
Hi Ard,

> Hello Edwin,
>
> great you have it working, although I think you can achieve quite
> easily what you want (unless I understand the issue incorrect) : you
> want to have a different location of the hst:virtualhosts root folder,
> right?

No, the hst:virtualhosts root folder is fine with me.
I just like to have a subdirectory-structure in this folder, so I can
order all OTAP-virtualhosts for each new site:

hst:virtualhosts (primary: hst:virtualhosts)

   |- site1 (primary: ?????)
   |     |- www-ow.site1.nl (primary: hst:virtualhost)
   |     |- www-ts.site1.nl (primary: hst:virtualhost)
   |     |- www-ac.site1.nl (primary: hst:virtualhost)
   |     `  www-pr.site1.nl (primary: hst:virtualhost)

   `  site2 (primary: ?????)
         |- www-ow.site2.nl (primary: hst:virtualhost)
         |- www-ts.site2.nl (primary: hst:virtualhost)
         |- www-ac.site2.nl (primary: hst:virtualhost)
         `  www-pr.site2.nl (primary: hst:virtualhost)

With this site1- and site2- nodes it looks like the
hst:virtualhost-nodes inside this node can't be found.

> In your hst-config.properties, you can define the root folder like this:
> virtualhosts.repository.path = /hst:virtualhosts

FYI: this is how it is, right now.

Regards, Edwin

> [...]
>>> hst:content and hst:configuration for both sites. They all show the blue
>>> folder-icons to the corresponding uuid's.
>>>

>>> This looks al fine to me.
>>> Then I changed the "hst-config.properties"-file inside, like Ard mentioned
>>> in a subsequent post:
>>> 1. the site-project (site/src/main/webapp/WEB-INF)
>>> 2. the site-package-project (sitepackage/src/main/webapp/WEB-INF)
>>>
>>> observation.sites.config.node.path = /allconfigurations  (see STEP 2)
>>>

>>> Finally, i changed my local hosts file and added the two new sites:
>>> 127.0.0.1     www-local.currentsite.nl
>>> 127.0.0.1     www-local.newsite.nl
>>>

>>> Then I started up the site and browsed to the two sites:
>>> www-local.currentsite.nl and www-local.newsite.nl
>>>
>>> Both sites show a page with two URL's: preview and live.
>>> Clicking on these hyperlinks generate a  404 - page not found, for both

Re: Running mutiple sites

Ard
Hello Edwin,

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 11:34 AM, Edwin Benneheij <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Ard,
>
>> Hello Edwin,
>>
>> great you have it working, although I think you can achieve quite
>> easily what you want (unless I understand the issue incorrect) : you
>> want to have a different location of the hst:virtualhosts root folder,
>> right?
>
> No, the hst:virtualhosts root folder is fine with me.
> I just like to have a subdirectory-structure in this folder, so I can
> order all OTAP-virtualhosts for each new site:
>
> hst:virtualhosts (primary: hst:virtualhosts)
>   |- site1 (primary: ?????)
>   |     |- www-ow.site1.nl (primary: hst:virtualhost)
>   |     |- www-ts.site1.nl (primary: hst:virtualhost)
>   |     |- www-ac.site1.nl (primary: hst:virtualhost)
>   |     `  www-pr.site1.nl (primary: hst:virtualhost)
>   `  site2 (primary: ?????)
>         |- www-ow.site2.nl (primary: hst:virtualhost)
>         |- www-ts.site2.nl (primary: hst:virtualhost)
>         |- www-ac.site2.nl (primary: hst:virtualhost)
>         `  www-pr.site2.nl (primary: hst:virtualhost)
>
> With this site1- and site2- nodes it looks like the
> hst:virtualhost-nodes inside this node can't be found.

Ah, I see what you mean: but actually, I think it is much nicer than
you are currently trying :-). You can order the virtualhosts
hierarchically, where the order of the hostname is 'reverted'. So,
your setup like you have above would be much cleaner if you do it like
this (I didn't add all, but you get the idea i hope):

 hst:virtualhosts
    `  nl (primary: hst:virtualhost)
              |- site1  (primary: hst:virtualhost)
              |     |-  www-ow      (primary: hst:virtualhost)
              |     |-  www-ts      (primary: hst:virtualhost)
              |     | ....
              `- site2  (primary: hst:virtualhost)
                    |     |-  www-ow    (primary: hst:virtualhost)

The nice thing about this way, is that everything that is common for
the 'nl' extension, you add to the nl (primary: hst:virtualhost) (even
perhaps the default site if you want). And, you read the hostname from
last descendant up to the first  hst:virtualhost. Thus,
www-ow.site1.nl. If you want a new host, say www-new.site1.nl, you
only need to add www-new node.

Now, on each host, you only override those properties that are
different then the one from one of the ancestors. If some property is
not present, it inherits it from the ancestor.

Hope this gets you going, pls let me know if it is clear.

Regards Ard

>> In your hst-config.properties, you can define the root folder like this:
>> virtualhosts.repository.path = /hst:virtualhosts
>
> FYI: this is how it is, right now.
>

> Regards, Edwin
>

>> On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 9:44 PM, Edwin Benneheij <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hey,
>>>
>>> Just to let you know what I've figured it out...
>>>
>>> In step 3 (about the virtualhosts-structure) I moved up all virtual host
>>> definitions (in sub-sub-nodes) right underneath the top virtualhosts-node
>>> (with "s").
>>> Like this:
>>>
>>> /hst:virtualhosts
>>>        |`www-local.currentsite.nl (hst:virtualhost)
>>>        `www-local.newsite.nl (hst:virtualhost)
>>>
>>> This did do the job!
>>>
>>> But I'd love to create a sub-folder-structure right beneath the
>>> hst:virtualhosts - just do divide the different sites.
>>> How can I manage this? What should be the primary type of the sub-node?
>>>
>>> Regards, Edwin

Re: Running mutiple sites

Edwin B.
Hi Ard,

Okay, this is a very elegant solution!
I have tried it on my local machine. It works and everything is clear.

Thanx,
Edwin

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 12:17 PM, Ard Schrijvers
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Edwin,
>
> On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 11:34 AM, Edwin Benneheij <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Ard,
>>
>>> Hello Edwin,
>>>
>>> great you have it working, although I think you can achieve quite
>>> easily what you want (unless I understand the issue incorrect) : you
>>> want to have a different location of the hst:virtualhosts root folder,
>>> right?
>>
>> No, the hst:virtualhosts root folder is fine with me.
>> I just like to have a subdirectory-structure in this folder, so I can
>> order all OTAP-virtualhosts for each new site:
>>
>> hst:virtualhosts (primary: hst:virtualhosts)
>>   |- site1 (primary: ?????)
>>   |     |- www-ow.site1.nl (primary: hst:virtualhost)
>>   |     |- www-ts.site1.nl (primary: hst:virtualhost)
>>   |     |- www-ac.site1.nl (primary: hst:virtualhost)
>>   |     `  www-pr.site1.nl (primary: hst:virtualhost)
>>   `  site2 (primary: ?????)
>>         |- www-ow.site2.nl (primary: hst:virtualhost)
>>         |- www-ts.site2.nl (primary: hst:virtualhost)
>>         |- www-ac.site2.nl (primary: hst:virtualhost)
>>         `  www-pr.site2.nl (primary: hst:virtualhost)
>>
>> With this site1- and site2- nodes it looks like the
>> hst:virtualhost-nodes inside this node can't be found.
>
> Ah, I see what you mean: but actually, I think it is much nicer than
> you are currently trying :-). You can order the virtualhosts
> hierarchically, where the order of the hostname is 'reverted'. So,
> your setup like you have above would be much cleaner if you do it like
> this (I didn't add all, but you get the idea i hope):
>
>  hst:virtualhosts
>    `  nl (primary: hst:virtualhost)
>              |- site1  (primary: hst:virtualhost)
>              |     |-  www-ow      (primary: hst:virtualhost)
>              |     |-  www-ts      (primary: hst:virtualhost)
>              |     | ....
>              `- site2  (primary: hst:virtualhost)
>                    |     |-  www-ow    (primary: hst:virtualhost)
>                    | ....
>
> The nice thing about this way, is that everything that is common for
> the 'nl' extension, you add to the nl (primary: hst:virtualhost) (even
> perhaps the default site if you want). And, you read the hostname from
> last descendant up to the first  hst:virtualhost. Thus,
> www-ow.site1.nl. If you want a new host, say www-new.site1.nl, you
> only need to add www-new node.
>
> Now, on each host, you only override those properties that are
> different then the one from one of the ancestors. If some property is
> not present, it inherits it from the ancestor.
>
> Hope this gets you going, pls let me know if it is clear.
>
> Regards Ard
>

>>> In your hst-config.properties, you can define the root folder like this:
>>> virtualhosts.repository.path = /hst:virtualhosts
>>
>> FYI: this is how it is, right now.
>>

>> Regards, Edwin

Re: Running mutiple sites

Ard
Great!

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 3:28 PM, Edwin Benneheij <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Ard,
>
> Okay, this is a very elegant solution!
> I have tried it on my local machine. It works and everything is clear.
>
> Thanx,
> Edwin
>

> On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 12:17 PM, Ard Schrijvers
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello Edwin,
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 11:34 AM, Edwin Benneheij <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi Ard,

>>> No, the hst:virtualhosts root folder is fine with me.
>>> I just like to have a subdirectory-structure in this folder, so I can
>>> order all OTAP-virtualhosts for each new site:
>>>
>>> hst:virtualhosts (primary: hst:virtualhosts)
>>>   |- site1 (primary: ?????)
>>>   |     |- www-ow.site1.nl (primary: hst:virtualhost)
>>>   |     |- www-ts.site1.nl (primary: hst:virtualhost)
>>>   |     |- www-ac.site1.nl (primary: hst:virtualhost)
>>>   |     `  www-pr.site1.nl (primary: hst:virtualhost)
>>>   `  site2 (primary: ?????)
>>>         |- www-ow.site2.nl (primary: hst:virtualhost)
>>>         |- www-ts.site2.nl (primary: hst:virtualhost)
>>>         |- www-ac.site2.nl (primary: hst:virtualhost)
>>>         `  www-pr.site2.nl (primary: hst:virtualhost)
>>>
>>> With this site1- and site2- nodes it looks like the
>>> hst:virtualhost-nodes inside this node can't be found.
>>
>> Ah, I see what you mean: but actually, I think it is much nicer than
>> you are currently trying :-). You can order the virtualhosts
>> hierarchically, where the order of the hostname is 'reverted'. So,
>> your setup like you have above would be much cleaner if you do it like
>> this (I didn't add all, but you get the idea i hope):
>>
>>  hst:virtualhosts
>>    `  nl (primary: hst:virtualhost)
>>              |- site1  (primary: hst:virtualhost)
>>              |     |-  www-ow      (primary: hst:virtualhost)
>>              |     |-  www-ts      (primary: hst:virtualhost)
>>              |     | ....
>>              `- site2  (primary: hst:virtualhost)
>>                    |     |-  www-ow    (primary: hst:virtualhost)
>>                    | ....
>>
>> The nice thing about this way, is that everything that is common for
>> the 'nl' extension, you add to the nl (primary: hst:virtualhost) (even
>> perhaps the default site if you want). And, you read the hostname from
>> last descendant up to the first  hst:virtualhost. Thus,
>> www-ow.site1.nl. If you want a new host, say www-new.site1.nl, you
>> only need to add www-new node.
>>
>> Now, on each host, you only override those properties that are
>> different then the one from one of the ancestors. If some property is
>> not present, it inherits it from the ancestor.
>>
>> Hope this gets you going, pls let me know if it is clear.
>>
>> Regards Ard

>>> FYI: this is how it is, right now.
>>>

>>> Regards, Edwin

Re: Running mutiple sites

Okay, this is a very elegant solution!

:-) Good to see you like it.

[Arje gives Ard a pat on his back]

Re: Running mutiple sites

Ard
On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 11:06 AM, Arje Cahn <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Okay, this is a very elegant solution!
>
> :-) Good to see you like it.
>
> [Arje gives Ard a pat on his back]

Credits should better go to Bart as he thought it would be nice to
structure it that way, I only implemented it...it is not that I do not
like a nice pat on my back, but unfortunately I have to pass this one
on to Bart...

Re: Running mutiple sites

[Arje gives Ard a pat on his back]

:s/Ard/Bart/

Re: Running mutiple sites

mvanbergen

We have a need to "host" two sites in Hippo CMS, but we want to distinguish them by context and not domain name (i.e. not virtual host based).  For example:

mydomainname.com/site1
mydomainname.com/site2

How would this configuration change for context-based sites rather than virtualhosts?

Thanks!
Matt

Re: Running mutiple sites

Ard
On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 3:31 PM, mvanbergen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We have a need to "host" two sites in Hippo CMS, but we want to distinguish
> them by context and not domain name (i.e. not virtual host based).  For
> example:
>
> mydomainname.com/site1
> mydomainname.com/site2
>
> How would this configuration change for context-based sites rather than
> virtualhosts?

Let me get this right: The two sites must run in different webapps
with a different context path? So, deploy them as site1.war and
site2.war?

Or, do you mean, that you want a single webapp, hosting 2 websites
with a different 'url prefix'.  With the hst 2.05.01 this latter is a
little hard. As we already knew this, we have added much superior
features and support for this in the HST2 trunk. However, we are not
production ready. We still need to polish features like out-of-the-box
cross domain linking and alike. So, for the current 2.05.01, the only
way from the top of my head is to do it by virtual host what you want.
You can ofcourse 'fake' your behaviour I think with httpd, by having
for example 'mydomainname.com/site2' forward to a
'myhackydomain.com/site2'. Linkrewriting should still rewrite
correctly now.

Regards Ard and sorry for the trouble, but we are addressing the issue
as we speak

> Thanks!
> Matt

USA  • San Fransisco  185 H Street Suite B  •  Petaluma CA 94952-5100
•  +1 (707) 773 4646
Canada    •   Montréal  5369 Boulevard St-Laurent  •  Montréal QC H2T
1S5  •  +1 (514) 316 8966
www.onehippo.com  •  www.onehippo.org  •  [hidden email]

Re: Running mutiple sites

mvanbergen
Hi Ard,

Thank you so much for the reply.

Yes, just the first need is what we are looking for.  If we deploy site1.war and site2.war, can the authors still access the same CMS instance for managing content?  For example, in the CMS app:

-Documents
-- site1
-- site2

So, the site1 folder tree has all of the content for site 1 and the site2 folder tree has all of the content for site 2.

My newness to Hippo is shining through, but if this was possible, how does site1.war "map" to Documents\site1 and how does site2.war "map" to Documents\site2?   Is this something that I would configure in the CMS Console, similar to how the instructions were laid out for multiple virtual hosts (post:  http://hippo.2275632.n2.nabble.com/Running-mutiple-sites-td4050316.html#a4050433)?

Thanks again,
Matt
12