Shared content in multiple sites.

Mehul Parmar
Dear All,

I would like to know if there is any way to share content among multiple sites within the same CMS.

So there will be multiple root folders and each corresponds to a site in the Channel Manager. And when creating site urls, we should be able to select documents from other root folders.

The CMS version I am using is 7.7.5.

I read this thread but cannot find if this is now implemented in the version that I am using or do I need to upgrade to a higher version.

http://hippo.2275632.n2.nabble.com/Multiple-sites-with-shared-content-tp4823377p4823554.html
http://hippo.2275632.n2.nabble.com/Multiple-sites-with-shared-content-td4823377.html

Regards
Mehul

Re: Shared content in multiple sites.

Ard
On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 10:04 AM, Mehul Parmar
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I would like to know if there is any way to share content among multiple
> sites within the same CMS.
>
> So there will be multiple root folders and each corresponds to a site in the
> Channel Manager. And when creating site urls, we should be able to select
> documents from other root folders.

You can select documents from different sites, but by default then,
the hst will create a cross channel link (possibly even cross
hostname).

The closest you can get to complete content sharing is using faceted
navigation nodes. We have some customers that mimic content sharing
between sites that way. Real complete seamless content sharing where
you do not even 'see' that the content really belongs to a different
channel is very complex. For example canonical links are always
pointing to the site that really contains the document

Regards Ard

> The CMS version I am using is 7.7.5.
>
> I read this thread but cannot find if this is now implemented in the version
> that I am using or do I need to upgrade to a higher version.
>
> http://hippo.2275632.n2.nabble.com/Multiple-sites-with-shared-content-tp4823377p4823554.html
> <http://hippo.2275632.n2.nabble.com/Multiple-sites-with-shared-content-tp4823377p4823554.html>
> http://hippo.2275632.n2.nabble.com/Multiple-sites-with-shared-content-td4823377.html
> <http://hippo.2275632.n2.nabble.com/Multiple-sites-with-shared-content-td4823377.html>
>
> Regards
> Mehul

Re: Shared content in multiple sites.

Mehul Parmar
Hi Ard

Thanks, I guess when you say faceted navigation, you mean this page : http://www.onehippo.org/7_8/library/concepts/faceted-navigation/faceted-navigation-configuration.html

Moreover, its not a requirement to have a "Real complete seamless content sharing" in our project, as only some of the documents are to be shared, so I guess faceted navigation is suffice for us.

Do you have any examples available for it (cross channel docs faceted navigation)?

Regards
Mehul

Re: Shared content in multiple sites.

Ard
On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 12:01 PM, Mehul Parmar
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Ard
>
> Thanks, I guess when you say faceted navigation, you mean this page :
> http://www.onehippo.org/7_8/library/concepts/faceted-navigation/faceted-navigation-configuration.html
> <http://www.onehippo.org/7_8/library/concepts/faceted-navigation/faceted-navigation-configuration.html>
>
> Moreover, its not a requirement to have a "Real complete seamless content
> sharing" in our project, as only some of the documents are to be shared, so
> I guess faceted navigation is suffice for us.
>
> Do you have any examples available for it (cross channel docs faceted
> navigation)?

You can add to a faceted navigation node multiple hippo:docbase uuids
(separate them with a comma ','). These docbase uuids can be uuids of
multiple site contents. This way, you can create fac nav nodes that
expose content of multiple sites. (if you use the fac nav node also
for free text search, you also search across multiple sites)

If you then also want to show the faceted navigation result document
in context of the current site (so do not create cross channel links)
you can add to the hst:link tag the attribute navigationStateful=true

Regards Ard

> Regards
> Mehul

Re: Shared content in multiple sites.

Mehul Parmar
Hi Ard

Thanks for this explanation.

Mehul

Re: Shared content in multiple sites.

Ard
On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 12:14 PM, Mehul Parmar
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Ard
>
> Thanks for this explanation.

You're welcome. Apologies it is a bit short. Perhaps someone from prof
serv can chime in that did similar implementations for clients

Regards Ard

> Mehul

Re: Shared content in multiple sites.

Mehul Parmar
Hi All

An update on the content sharing in multiple site. Another way of sharing contents between mutliple sites, in the same virtual host group, can also achieved through hippo:facetselect.

In the console you can create a new node of type hippo:facetselect and add a property hippo:docBase with the uuid of the folder that you want (this uuid can be of a document from current root folder or some other root folder i.e. another site, the resulting folders are displayed as greyed out in the cms interface, but the documents are editable). These documents are also available in the url sitemapping.

Not sure how it works with individual documents, haven't tried it yet, any expert advice on this will be highly appreciated.

Kind Regards
Mehul

Re: Shared content in multiple sites.

Ard
On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 11:25 AM, Mehul Parmar
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All
>
> An update on the content sharing in multiple site. Another way of sharing
> contents between mutliple sites, in the same virtual host group, can also
> achieved through hippo:facetselect.
>
> In the console you can create a new node of type hippo:facetselect and add a
> property hippo:docBase with the uuid of the folder that you want (this uuid
> can be of a document from current root folder or some other root folder i.e.
> another site, the resulting folders are displayed as greyed out in the cms
> interface, but the documents are editable). These documents are also
> available in the url sitemapping.

The problem with this approach in general is that it is ok for
traversing nodes, but linkrewriting will use the canonical (non
virtual) locations by default. You might overcome this by having on
hst:link tag navigationStateful=true, but you then still have the
problem that this 'shared' content won't be visible in search results

Regards Ard

> Not sure how it works with individual documents, haven't tried it yet, any
> expert advice on this will be highly appreciated.
>
> Kind Regards
> Mehul

Re: Shared content in multiple sites.

Niels van Kampenhout-2
On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 2:49 AM, Ard Schrijvers
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 10:04 AM, Mehul Parmar
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Dear All,
>>
>> I would like to know if there is any way to share content among multiple
>> sites within the same CMS.
>>
>> So there will be multiple root folders and each corresponds to a site in the
>> Channel Manager. And when creating site urls, we should be able to select
>> documents from other root folders.
>
> You can select documents from different sites, but by default then,
> the hst will create a cross channel link (possibly even cross
> hostname).
>
> The closest you can get to complete content sharing is using faceted
> navigation nodes. We have some customers that mimic content sharing
> between sites that way. Real complete seamless content sharing where
> you do not even 'see' that the content really belongs to a different
> channel is very complex. For example canonical links are always
> pointing to the site that really contains the document

Another quite simple workaround to share content between channels, is
to let all your channels use the same content root, which is the
parent node of all the different content trees (e.g.
/content/documents/myproject). This way each channel can easily access
content in all trees, and when linking to content not mapped to the
current channel, HST will still cross-channel link if that content is
mapped in another channel.

Only drawback is that content paths in HST config must be relative to
/content/documents/myproject instead of
/content/documents/myproject/mychannel.

HTH,
Niels