Specific functional and graphic design of back-end templates

Specific functional and graphic design of back-end templates

in our project we think about doing specific functional and graphic design of the back-end templates. More than 'just' using the out-of-the-box interface.

With functional design I mean the lay-out and flow of the forms/templates/formfields that the author of the cms will use, and the graphic design will support that. End result will be well thought out interfaces for authors, designed for their specific tasks. We also consider specific wizards for specific tasks.

Anyone did something like this before which they would like to share (e.g. screenshots...)?

Thanks! Gerrit

Re: Specific functional and graphic design of back-end templates

Frank van Lankvelt
Hi Gerrit,

well, you can make these templates as complicated as you wish.  There is always the option of creating a cms plugin for each document type.  This couples layout, flow and other logic to give the full flexibility of Wicket.

The downside is, of course, that layout, flow and other logic are now coupled in one plugin.  It is then harder to reuse plugins from the hippo forge, for example, and vice versa it is impossible to reuse parts of the logic in other projects.

Ideally, a number of reusable components are identified and they are built as separate plugins.  These will contain layout and some logic to edit a part of the document.  The flow can best be put into a separate (non-visual) plugin.  The contracts (service interfaces) between the plugins would likely be interesting for other plugin developers as well.

The most complicated "template" that exists at the moment (AFAIK) is the CMS itself.  This was probably not the answer you were looking for, but it might be the best place to get an impression of what is technically possible.

cheers, Frank

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 11:00 PM, Gerrit Berkouwer <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,

in our project we think about doing specific functional and graphic design of the back-end templates. More than 'just' using the out-of-the-box interface.

With functional design I mean the lay-out and flow of the forms/templates/formfields that the author of the cms will use, and the graphic design will support that. End result will be well thought out interfaces for authors, designed for their specific tasks. We also consider specific wizards for specific tasks.

Anyone did something like this before which they would like to share (e.g. screenshots...)?

Thanks! Gerrit

Re: Specific functional and graphic design of back-end templates

Frank, thanks for the input.

I do not mean to get into those technical possibilities. My question is about 'simply' changing the html and css of back-end templates. Nothing more for now. This must not be too difficult?

I am looking for examples of that. The standard back-end-templates-looks just don't cut it if you want to deliver a really good user experience for the editors who work with the cms.

If we get this sub-project started you will definately hear from us :-).

Gerrit

Frank van Lankvelt wrote

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 11:00 PM, Gerrit Berkouwer <gerritberkouwer@gmail.com
> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> in our project we think about doing specific functional and graphic design
> of the back-end templates. More than 'just' using the out-of-the-box
> interface.
>
> With functional design I mean the lay-out and flow of the
> forms/templates/formfields that the author of the cms will use, and the
> graphic design will support that. End result will be well thought out
> interfaces for authors, designed for their specific tasks. We also consider
> specific wizards for specific tasks.
>
> Anyone did something like this before which they would like to share (e.g.
> screenshots...)?
>
> Thanks! Gerrit

Re: Specific functional and graphic design of back-end templates

Frank van Lankvelt
Hi Gerrit,

well, you *were* asking about changing the flow ;-)

Changing the layout and styling is indeed very straightforward.  An example will be available in the sample configuration ("defaultcontent") of 7.1.  The "article" type has its own layout, i.e. beyond the simple list, with the possibility to tag instances.

It would certainly be nice to have more realistic sample content.  As we'll be moving the Hippo sites to CMS7/HST2, and make these projects available as samples, this should be the case soon.

cheers, Frank