Standard behavior when renaming images after copying them in the CMS

Standard behavior when renaming images after copying them in the CMS

Gerrit Berkouwer
This post was updated on .
Hi,

When a user in Hippo wants to copy an image in the Images folders, Hippo does the following as a default (in the Go Green):

After copying an image,

toyota-a-glass-of-water-image.jpg
becomes
toyota-a-glass-of-water-image.jpg-copy

This is because the CMS appends (copy) AFTER the file extension .jpg... and then rewrites the URL...

This breaks the URL:

http://www.demo.onehippo.com/binaries/largethumbnail/content/gallery/news/2010/07/toyota-a-glass-of-water-image.jpg-copy

There is no file extension .jpg-copy ... ;-)

We want to change this standard behavior, it could be like this:

toyota-a-glass-of-water-image.jpg
becomes
toyota-a-glass-of-water-image-1.jpg

The URL is not broken this way. And the filename is correct in the repository, not only after rewriting the URL.

Any thoughts? Good idea, bad idea? Any better ideas?

Re: Standard behavior when renaming images after copying them in the CMS

Stephan Westen
Administrator

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 1:19 PM, Gerrit Berkouwer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

When a user in Hippo wants to copy an image in the Images folders, Hippo
does the following as a default (in the Go Green):

After copying an image,

toyota-a-glass-of-water-image.jpg
becomes
toyota-a-glass-of-water-image.jpg-copy

This is because the CMS appends (copy) AFTER the file extension .jpg... and
then rewrites the URL...

This breaks the URL:

http://www.demo.onehippo.com/binaries/largethumbnail/content/gallery/news/2010/07/toyota-a-glass-of-water-image.jpg-copy

There is no file extension .jpg-copy ... ;-)

We want to change this standard behavior, it could be like this:

toyota-a-glass-of-water-image.jpg
becomes
toyota-a-glass-of-water-image-1.jpg

This suggests that another copy would have digit 2 - which is of course possible within the scope of a folder.
Cheaper, but less elegant, is to append 'copy' after the name but before the extension.

The URL is not broken this way. And the filename is correct in the
repository, not only after rewriting the URL.

Any thoughts? Good idea? Any better ideas?

good idea!

SW

-----

thanks,

Stephan

Re: Standard behavior when renaming images after copying them in the CMS

marijan milicevic
Hi Stephan,
On 08/01/2011 01:51 PM, Stephan Westen wrote:

[...]

what do you mean by "cheaper"? I suspect this:

toyota-a-glass-of-water-image-copy.jpg
toyota-a-glass-of-water-image-copy-copy.jpg
toyota-a-glass-of-water-image-copy-copy-copy.jpg

+1 for using numbers, even better is to let user choose the name (and append extension afterwards)

cheers,
marijan

The URL is not broken this way. And the filename is correct in the
repository, not only after rewriting the URL.

Any thoughts? Good idea? Any better ideas?

good idea!

SW

-----

thanks,

Stephan

Re: Standard behavior when renaming images after copying them in the CMS

Ard
On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 2:09 PM, marijan milicevic
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> what do you mean by "cheaper"? I suspect this:
>
> toyota-a-glass-of-water-image-copy.jpg
> toyota-a-glass-of-water-image-copy-copy.jpg
> toyota-a-glass-of-water-image-copy-copy-copy.jpg
>
> +1 for using numbers, even better is to let user choose the name (and append
> extension afterwards)

Exactly. Let the user choose the name, and if it already exists,
return proper feedback

Regards Ard

@marijan: changing the name is now already possible... Only most content-editors are lazy or do not care about this, so they will never change the name... the '<hyphen><number>' option is the least harmful way I think...

Re: Standard behavior when renaming images after copying them in the CMS

marijan milicevic
Hi Gerrit,
On 08/01/2011 04:19 PM, Gerrit Berkouwer wrote:
> @marijan: changing the name is now already possible... Only most
> content-editors are lazy or do not care about this, so they will never
> change the name... the '<hyphen><number>' option is the least harmful way I
> think...
>
> -----

I forgot about that one :(
in any case, if name already exist, we should either force the users to
change it or automatically add a suffix (-number), like you already
proposed,
cheers,
marijan

Re: Standard behavior when renaming images after copying them in the CMS

Mickaël Tricot
Hi,

IMO, we should keep the "copy" somewhere in the name.

What about that?
  1. image.png
  2. image-copy.png
  3. image-copy-1.png
  4. image-copy-2.png
Which also means:
  1. image-1.png
  2. image-1-copy.png
  3. image-1-copy-1.png
  4. image-1-copy-2.png

This way, you still can identify easily that the picture has been copied, plus you don't break the sequence if somebody is used to name his pictures with this common format: image-x.png

Mickaël

Re: Standard behavior when renaming images after copying them in the CMS

marijan milicevic
Hi Mickael,

I don't like "but who guards the guards?" logic...but, it is just my opinion...
cheers,
marijan

_______________________________________________ Hippo-cms7-user mailing list and forums http://www.onehippo.org/cms7/support/forums.html

Re: Standard behavior when renaming images after copying them in the CMS

Gerrit Berkouwer
That would be ok too, maybe better.

I am still wondering which of the two options would be better for findability, the one where the word 'copy' will be recognized and therefore 'counted' by Google, or the 'smaller' version with just the number '1'.
I actually think it will not matter and the option to see that the picture is a copy is also a nice one.

Just to be sure: setting this -copy-1 should happen before the URL rewrite, agreed?

Re: Standard behavior when renaming images after copying them in the CMS

Ard
On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 12:02 AM, Gerrit Berkouwer
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> That would be ok too, maybe better.

Gerrit, it is unclear to me to which mail you now reply. You seemed to
strip the entire original mail you replied to.

Easiest is to just reply in line in the mail you want to reply to.

So, which one do you mean with 'that would be ok too' :-)

Regards Ard

@ard: the suggestion of Mickaël sounds ok, using '-copy' instead of '-1'.

I am still wondering which of the two options would be better for findability, the one where the word 'copy' will be recognized and therefore 'counted' by Google, or the 'smaller' version with just the number '1'. I actually think it will not matter and the option to see that the picture is a copy is also a nice one.

Just to be sure: setting this -copy-1 should happen before the URL rewrite, agreed?

Greetz, Gerrit
ps I use the Nabble forum instead of the mailinglist...

On 08/01/2011 04:37 PM, Mickaël Tricot wrote:
> Hi,
>
> IMO, we should keep the "copy" somewhere in the name.
>
> What about that?
>
>     image.png
>     image-copy.png
>     image-copy-1.png
>     image-copy-2.png
>
> Which also means:
>
>     image-1.png
>     image-1-copy.png
>     image-1-copy-1.png
>     image-1-copy-2.png
>

> This way, you still can identify easily that the picture has been copied, plus you don't break the sequence if somebody is used to name his pictures with this common format: image-x.png
>
> Mickaël

Re: Standard behavior when renaming images after copying them in the CMS

Ard
On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 7:07 AM, Gerrit Berkouwer
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> @ard: the suggestion of Mickaël sounds ok, using '-copy' instead of '-1'.
>
> I am still wondering which of the two options would be better for
> findability, the one where the word 'copy' will be recognized and therefore
> 'counted' by Google, or the 'smaller' version with just the number '1'. I
> actually think it will not matter and the option to see that the picture is
> a copy is also a nice one.
>
> Just to be sure: setting this -copy-1 should happen before the URL rewrite,
> agreed?
>
> Greetz, Gerrit
> ps I use the Nabble forum instead of the mailinglist...

All right, your preference is clear now to me :)

Cheers Ard