Video files strategy in Hippo CMS

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Video files strategy in Hippo CMS

M Nair
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Video files strategy in Hippo CMS

Frank van Lankvelt
On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 10:52 PM, M Nair <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I do see a Image folder for image assets but what would you recommend for Video
> strategy ? Let's say I have a ton of videos on multiple documents on my web
> site.
>
> 1) Would you recommend storing the videos in Hippo's native storage?
> 2) Or store the video files on edge servers which would act as source for the
> CDNs ? and have a field in the document template pointing to the edge servers (
> which can be file servers) ?
>
I would recommend using a third-party product to store the videos.
Even though the repository has a separate datastore for big binaries,
a dedicated video storage will contain additional services, such as
transcoding.

Keep metadata (e.g. cdn url, format, length, quality, ...) in the CMS.
 It's probably best to store this in a separate document; that would
allow you to e.g. set up faceted navigation on these videos and it
would be easy to associate other metadata with it.  (tags, a taxonomy
classification, related videos)

There is some work in progress on a MediaMosa integration, and other
products have been used in the past.  Perhaps someone more
knowledgeable on the details can chime in?

cheers, Frank


> Thanks
>
> _______________________________________________
> Hippo-cms7-user mailing list and forums
> http://www.onehippo.org/cms7/support/forums.html
>



--
Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam
Boston - 1 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142

US +1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
Europe +31(0)20 522 4466
www.onehippo.com
_______________________________________________
Hippo-cms7-user mailing list and forums
http://www.onehippo.org/cms7/support/forums.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Video files strategy in Hippo CMS

Gerrit Berkouwer
In reply to this post by M Nair
In our system our video files are stored separate from the repository. We have documents for video that link to the various formats. This is very flexible. And the repository in our system is big enough already...:-(
This works like a charm.

As already said by Frank: keep the metadata in the document in the CMS: dates, intro-text for the video, formats (we use flv, mp4, mpg, wmv, 3gp) transcript, captions, still-image and more. All this can be indexed so your video-pages can be found by external search engines.

As a matter of fact we would like the same with all binary documents we have, e.g. PDF, DOC, XLS, ODF. This however gives a problem: if we put these documents on a file system they will not be indexed automatically by Lucene in the repository. And we do want the text in the search index... And we do not yet know the best way to put binary documents outside of the repository...

--
Greetz, Gerrit
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Video files strategy in Hippo CMS

Kenan Salic
Hi,

To add what Frank mentioned we are currently working on an external resource (API) plug-in .The external resource API enables a developer to create a controller to directly upload resources (videos, or any kind of file types) to an external location/server. We've already had some success with uploading videos to a red5 and mediamosa server, saving meta data in the cms and streaming these videos real-time on the website. 

The external resource plug-in API is still a bit early in development to be supported. If there is a demand we could make an early release within coming weeks with some restricted functionality?

Regards,

Kenan


On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 3:26 PM, Gerrit Berkouwer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> In our system our video files are stored separate from the repository. We
> have documents for video that link to the various formats. This is very
> flexible. And the repository in our system is big enough already...:-(
> This works like a charm.
>
> As already said by Frank: keep the metadata in the document in the CMS:
> dates, intro-text for the video, formats (we use flv, mp4, mpg, wmv, 3gp)
> transcript, captions, still-image and more. All this can be indexed so your
> video-pages can be found by external search engines.
>
> As a matter of fact we would like the same with all binary documents we
> have, e.g. PDF, DOC, XLS, ODF. This however gives a problem: if we put these
> documents on a file system they will not be indexed automatically by Lucene
> in the repository. And we do want the text in the search index... And we do
> not yet know the best way to put binary documents outside of the
> repository...
>
>
>
> -----
> --
> Greetz, Gerrit
> --
> View this message in context: http://hippo.2275632.n2.nabble.com/Video-files-strategy-in-Hippo-CMS-tp6440205p6442152.html
> Sent from the Hippo CMS 7 mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
> _______________________________________________
> Hippo-cms7-user mailing list and forums
> http://www.onehippo.org/cms7/support/forums.html


_______________________________________________
Hippo-cms7-user mailing list and forums
http://www.onehippo.org/cms7/support/forums.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Video files strategy in Hippo CMS

Mathijs Brand
Hi,

maybe it's nice to show a screenshot of what we've done at a project
and I think that's where we should be heading:
- video's are added just the way images or assets are added in a separate tab
- we've created a link picker which can pick video's just as you do
with images.
- the video itself is stored in an external video CMS, like to ones
already mentioned.
- you can add metadata in Hippo CMS, so the video can be found. We
also added a preview image, which you can customize. If you're
thinking about accessibility guidelines, don't forget to add a full
text alternative.
- like Kenan mentioned, it's possible to add a video from this
interface and store it externally and synchronize the metadata. This
way we can seamlessly add more systems.
- for the rendering we store a reference to the ID of the external
system. If you know that and you know which system is used, you can
generate the video player script in the frontend.

Because of the separate tab you can add extra video systems to Hippo
CMS, without changing a lot of code or the way pickers and documents
work.
So for the editor and visitor of your website, it doesn't really
matter much if you use a couple of different systems (youtube, vimeo,
Red 5, etc). Hippo CMS can integrate them.

Regards,
Mathijs Brand

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 4:28 AM, Kenan Salic <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> To add what Frank mentioned we are currently working on an external resource
> (API) plug-in .The external resource API enables a developer to create a
> controller to directly upload resources (videos, or any kind of file types)
> to an external location/server. We've already had some success with
> uploading videos to a red5 and mediamosa server, saving meta data in the cms
> and streaming these videos real-time on the website.
>
> The external resource plug-in API is still a bit early in development to be
> supported. If there is a demand we could make an early release within coming
> weeks with some restricted functionality?
> Regards,
> Kena
>
>
> On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 3:26 PM, Gerrit Berkouwer <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> In our system our video files are stored separate from the repository. We
>> have documents for video that link to the various formats. This is very
>> flexible. And the repository in our system is big enough already...:-(
>> This works like a charm.
>>
>> As already said by Frank: keep the metadata in the document in the CMS:
>> dates, intro-text for the video, formats (we use flv, mp4, mpg, wmv, 3gp)
>> transcript, captions, still-image and more. All this can be indexed so
>> your
>> video-pages can be found by external search engines.
>>
>> As a matter of fact we would like the same with all binary documents we
>> have, e.g. PDF, DOC, XLS, ODF. This however gives a problem: if we put
>> these
>> documents on a file system they will not be indexed automatically by
>> Lucene
>> in the repository. And we do want the text in the search index... And we
>> do
>> not yet know the best way to put binary documents outside of the
>> repository...
>>
>>
>>
>> -----
>> --
>> Greetz, Gerrit
>> --
>> View this message in context:
>> http://hippo.2275632.n2.nabble.com/Video-files-strategy-in-Hippo-CMS-tp6440205p6442152.html
>> Sent from the Hippo CMS 7 mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>> _______________________________________________
>> Hippo-cms7-user mailing list and forums
>> http://www.onehippo.org/cms7/support/forums.html
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Hippo-cms7-user mailing list and forums
> http://www.onehippo.org/cms7/support/forums.html
>

_______________________________________________
Hippo-cms7-user mailing list and forums
http://www.onehippo.org/cms7/support/forums.html

Video's in CMS.png (96K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Video files strategy in Hippo CMS

Richard Polderman
Hi all,

Good to read that things are already there to use!
Where can I find this? Is it a plugin?

thanks in advance,
Richard
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Video files strategy in Hippo CMS

Kenan Salic
Hi Richard,

The "external resource" plugin is still under development. We expect to release the first version in about a month.

I've got a couple of videos which show the integration with a video platform which we are still working on.


I'll try to put a stripped version on the forge on Friday which you could look into. https://forge.onehippo.org/gf/project/

Regards,

Kenan

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 8:45 AM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

Good to read that things are already there to use!
Where can I find this? Is it a plugin?

thanks in advance,
Richard

--
View this message in context: http://hippo.2275632.n2.nabble.com/Video-files-strategy-in-Hippo-CMS-tp6440205p6839087.html
Sent from the Hippo CMS 7 mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
_______________________________________________
Hippo-cms7-user mailing list and forums
http://www.onehippo.org/cms7/support/forums.html



--
Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam
Boston - 1 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142

US <a href="tel:%2B1%20877%20414%204776" value="+18774144776" target="_blank">+1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
Europe <a href="tel:%2B31%280%2920%20522%204466" value="+31205224466" target="_blank">+31(0)20 522 4466
www.onehippo.com


_______________________________________________
Hippo-cms7-user mailing list and forums
http://www.onehippo.org/cms7/support/forums.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Video files strategy in Hippo CMS

Richard Polderman
Thanks Kenan,

We will have a look at it when the files are published!

Richard
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Video files strategy in Hippo CMS

Kenan Salic
Hi Richard,

I've made a new project and commit on our forge https://forge.onehippo.org/svn/external/trunk/.

Note that it's still an experimental project and not yet supported.

Regards,

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 10:11 AM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Kenan,

We will have a look at it when the files are published!

Richard

--
View this message in context: http://hippo.2275632.n2.nabble.com/Video-files-strategy-in-Hippo-CMS-tp6440205p6843114.html
Sent from the Hippo CMS 7 mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
_______________________________________________
Hippo-cms7-user mailing list and forums
http://www.onehippo.org/cms7/support/forums.html



--
Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam
Boston - 1 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142

US +1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
Europe +31(0)20 522 4466
www.onehippo.com


_______________________________________________
Hippo-cms7-user mailing list and forums
http://www.onehippo.org/cms7/support/forums.html