Visual grouping in editing template

Niels van Kampenhout-2
Hi all,

Are there any ready-to-use options to visually group and/or separate
fields in an editing template?
For example, I want to group fields in two visually separated areas
"metadata" and "content". It could be as simple as inserting two dummy
plugins just displaying some kind of header. Or a little bit more
sophisticated: grouped fields could be enclosed by a border (the
grouping plugin would be parent of the field plugins in the
configuration).

Thanks,
Niels

Re: Visual grouping in editing template

Niels van Kampenhout-2
Hi Jeroen,

Yes I know about the two column layout, but I want all fields in one
vertical "list", with some separators/headers to group them.

For example:

--------------
Metadata
--------------
- date
- author
- taxonomy
--------------
Content
--------------
- title
- subtitle
- intro
- body

AFAICS that's not possible with the options available in the new
editing template dialog, or did I miss something?

Thanks,
Niels

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 10:58 AM, Jeroen Reijn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Niels,
>
> did you checkout the document template editor? It allows you to chose a
> layout before you start adding fields. It has a 2 column layout by default,
> but it does not show any headers if that's what you are actually looking
> for.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jeroen
>
> On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 10:52 AM, Niels van Kampenhout
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Are there any ready-to-use options to visually group and/or separate
>> fields in an editing template?
>> For example, I want to group fields in two visually separated areas
>> "metadata" and "content". It could be as simple as inserting two dummy
>> plugins just displaying some kind of header. Or a little bit more
>> sophisticated: grouped fields could be enclosed by a border (the
>> grouping plugin would be parent of the field plugins in the
>> configuration).
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Niels

Re: Visual grouping in editing template

I really like this topic..
For inspiration, I'm attaching some mockups that Rolf van der Steen once made.. It was work in progress!

Arje

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 11:09 AM, Niels van Kampenhout <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Jeroen,

Yes I know about the two column layout, but I want all fields in one
vertical "list", with some separators/headers to group them.

For example:

--------------
Metadata
--------------
- date
- author
- taxonomy
--------------
Content
--------------
- title
- subtitle
- intro
- body

AFAICS that's not possible with the options available in the new
editing template dialog, or did I miss something?

Thanks,
Niels

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 10:58 AM, Jeroen Reijn <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Niels,
>
> did you checkout the document template editor? It allows you to chose a
> layout before you start adding fields. It has a 2 column layout by default,
> but it does not show any headers if that's what you are actually looking
> for.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jeroen
>
> On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 10:52 AM, Niels van Kampenhout
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Are there any ready-to-use options to visually group and/or separate
>> fields in an editing template?
>> For example, I want to group fields in two visually separated areas
>> "metadata" and "content". It could be as simple as inserting two dummy
>> plugins just displaying some kind of header. Or a little bit more
>> sophisticated: grouped fields could be enclosed by a border (the
>> grouping plugin would be parent of the field plugins in the
>> configuration).
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Niels

US <a href="tel:%2B1%20877%20414%204776" value="+18774144776">+1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
Europe <a href="tel:%2B31%280%2920%20522%204466" value="+31205224466">+31(0)20 522 4466

mockup 1.zip (43K) Download Attachment

Re: Visual grouping in editing template

Niels van Kampenhout-2
So I guess there is nothing ready-to-use available then...?

Niels

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Arje Cahn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I really like this topic..
> For inspiration, I'm attaching some mockups that Rolf van der Steen once
> made.. It was work in progress!
>
> Arje
>

> On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 11:09 AM, Niels van Kampenhout
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Jeroen,
>>
>> Yes I know about the two column layout, but I want all fields in one
>> vertical "list", with some separators/headers to group them.
>>
>> For example:
>>
>> --------------
>> Metadata
>> --------------
>> - date
>> - author
>> - taxonomy
>> --------------
>> Content
>> --------------
>> - title
>> - subtitle
>> - intro
>> - body
>>
>> AFAICS that's not possible with the options available in the new
>> editing template dialog, or did I miss something?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Niels
>>

>> On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 10:58 AM, Jeroen Reijn <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Niels,
>> >
>> > did you checkout the document template editor? It allows you to chose a
>> > layout before you start adding fields. It has a 2 column layout by
>> > default,
>> > but it does not show any headers if that's what you are actually looking
>> > for.
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> >
>> > Jeroen

Re: Visual grouping in editing template

So I guess there is nothing ready-to-use available then...?

Nope.. Sorry!

Re: Visual grouping in editing template

Wouter Danes-2
Here at the customer I'm working for (rijksoverheid.nl) we are also interested in this kind of functionality. Maybe it's something for the road map?

Or maybe something to community-develop... :)

So I guess there is nothing ready-to-use available then...?

Nope.. Sorry!

Re: Visual grouping in editing template

Jasha Joachimsthal
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Visual grouping in editing template

Niels van Kampenhout-2
I ended up writing a very simple "SeparatorPlugin" that just displays
a (configurable) label. I inserted this plugin before each "group" in
a template. All I need now is some CSS to make it look good ;-)

Regards,
Niels

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jeroen,
>
> Yes I know about the two column layout, but I want all fields in one
> vertical "list", with some separators/headers to group them.
>
> For example:
>
> --------------
> Metadata
> --------------
> - date
> - author
> - taxonomy
> --------------
> Content
> --------------
> - title
> - subtitle
> - intro
> - body
>
> AFAICS that's not possible with the options available in the new
> editing template dialog, or did I miss something?
>
> Thanks,
> Niels
>

> On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 10:58 AM, Jeroen Reijn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Niels,
>>
>> did you checkout the document template editor? It allows you to chose a
>> layout before you start adding fields. It has a 2 column layout by default,
>> but it does not show any headers if that's what you are actually looking
>> for.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Jeroen
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 10:52 AM, Niels van Kampenhout
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Are there any ready-to-use options to visually group and/or separate
>>> fields in an editing template?
>>> For example, I want to group fields in two visually separated areas
>>> "metadata" and "content". It could be as simple as inserting two dummy
>>> plugins just displaying some kind of header. Or a little bit more
>>> sophisticated: grouped fields could be enclosed by a border (the
>>> grouping plugin would be parent of the field plugins in the
>>> configuration).
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Niels