Xinha HTML editor end-of-life?

12

Xinha HTML editor end-of-life?

Gerrit Berkouwer
This post was updated on .
When I got to the Xinha website, the last release was 2 years ago. Same for the last security release. The forum has a lot of spam. Not used for long now. There is no active roadmap.

This is not a good sign. We all use Xinha in our CMS. My guess is that we all want to shift towards good and clean HTML5. Either now or tomorrow. Is Xinha suitable for that?

I do not think Xinha will bring us further. The editor has a lot of flaws. It can be used, but it does not bring joy in the life of your average day-to-day content-editor, who has to manage his/her content in a user-friendly way. My assumption is: with a not so good HTML editor a CMS is mostly used as a 'cut and paste' environment instead of a real 'content editor'. Editors are used to and prefer Word...

I would like to change that. There must be better html-editors out there, actively supported.

What would be the options to do something about this situation? Anyone using another HTML editor in Hippo CMS? Any leads to follow? Or would this be a project, aiming to replace Xinha for something else?

What are your experiences with Xinha? Any thoughts?

Re: Xinha HTML editor end-of-life?

david
Hi everyone,

I'd just like to bring to your attention a next gen (inline) editor that can give some ideas. I've tested it some weeks ago : http://jejacks0n.github.com/mercury
I'm quite sure it has some flaws since it's rather young and the community is not that big but it deserves some attention/tests/inspiration.

David

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 12:35 AM, Gerrit Berkouwer <[hidden email]> wrote:
When I got to the  http://trac.xinha.org/ Xinha website , the last release
was 2 years ago. Same for the last security release. The forum has a lot of
spam. Not used for long now. There is no active raodmap.

-----

On May 17, 2012, at 12:35 AM, Gerrit Berkouwer wrote:

> [...] but it does not bring joy ..

I agree! Let's do something about it.

> What would be the options to do something about this situation? Anyone using
> another HTML editor in Hippo CMS? Any leads to follow? Or would this be a
> project, aiming to replace Xinha for something else?

Here are my thoughts.

We initially chose for Xinha because it was functionally complete, and because it has a Hippo-and-Apache-friendly license (BSD).
Nowadays, there are a lot more options to chose from, and I think we should consider them.

I do have some personal wishes though:

1 - Proper support for Table editing. This seems to be the killer functionality for WYSIWYG editors. It's apparently incredibly difficult to support proper table editing in a web browser, and some editors seem to completely ignore the issue because it's just too hard to do. For example, YUI simply doesn't have it (last time I checked). Table editing is the first functionality you should try out when testing a new WYSIWYG editor!
2 - (a certain level of) support for WCAG [1] and ATAG [2] - and of course Webrichtlijnen [3] (note the first name listed on [4] :) )
3 - License: either an Apache compatible license (ASL, BSD, ..), or one that we can safely offer as part of a plugin (for example LGPL, but no GPL)
4 - Pluggability: must be possible to hook in Hippo's Link and Image pickers, and must have a proper API so we can integrate it well
5 - Browser support: must function well on IE8 and up, Firefox 8.0+, Safari 5+, Chrome 15+ (basically, the browsers Hippo supports)

I hope this helps hunting the ideal WYSIWYG editor ! :)

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG/
[2] http://www.w3.org/WAI/intro/atag.php
[3] http://versie2.webrichtlijnen.nl/
[4] http://versie2.webrichtlijnen.nl/norm/20110701/

Regards,

Arjé Cahn

CTO, Hippo
[hidden email] / [hidden email]
twitter.com/#!/arjecahn

Re: Xinha HTML editor end-of-life?

I think right now both

http://ckeditor.com/

and

http://www.tinymce.com/index.php

Are the biggest players. Both can be used under the LGPL license as
far as I can see.
Even though I like the concept of the new HTML5 editors, I'm not sure
if we should proceed to an HTML5 editor. Not all of our customers have
an up to date browser, which might introduce problems.

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 10:51 AM, Arje Cahn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On May 17, 2012, at 12:35 AM, Gerrit Berkouwer wrote:
>
>> [...] but it does not bring joy ..
>
> I agree! Let's do something about it.
>
>> What would be the options to do something about this situation? Anyone using
>> another HTML editor in Hippo CMS? Any leads to follow? Or would this be a
>> project, aiming to replace Xinha for something else?
>
> Here are my thoughts.
>
> We initially chose for Xinha because it was functionally complete, and because it has a Hippo-and-Apache-friendly license (BSD).
> Nowadays, there are a lot more options to chose from, and I think we should consider them.
>
> I do have some personal wishes though:
>
> 1 - Proper support for Table editing. This seems to be the killer functionality for WYSIWYG editors. It's apparently incredibly difficult to support proper table editing in a web browser, and some editors seem to completely ignore the issue because it's just too hard to do. For example, YUI simply doesn't have it (last time I checked). Table editing is the first functionality you should try out when testing a new WYSIWYG editor!
> 2 - (a certain level of) support for WCAG [1] and ATAG [2] - and of course Webrichtlijnen [3] (note the first name listed on [4] :) )
> 3 - License: either an Apache compatible license (ASL, BSD, ..), or one that we can safely offer as part of a plugin (for example LGPL, but no GPL)
> 4 - Pluggability: must be possible to hook in Hippo's Link and Image pickers, and must have a proper API so we can integrate it well
> 5 - Browser support: must function well on IE8 and up, Firefox 8.0+, Safari 5+, Chrome 15+ (basically, the browsers Hippo supports)
>
> I hope this helps hunting the ideal WYSIWYG editor ! :)
>

> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG/
> [2] http://www.w3.org/WAI/intro/atag.php
> [3] http://versie2.webrichtlijnen.nl/
> [4] http://versie2.webrichtlijnen.nl/norm/20110701/
>

> Regards,
>
> Arjé Cahn
>
> CTO, Hippo
> [hidden email] / [hidden email]
> twitter.com/#!/arjecahn

Twitter:  www.twitter.com/jreijn

Re: Xinha HTML editor end-of-life?

Wouter Danes-2
Why would a _content_ editor need to support HTML 5 for the CMS to be able to output HTML 5?
Imo, a content editor should help the user create (structured) content which can be rendered in multiple ways:
- json
- xml
- rss/atom
- xhtml
- html5
- pdf
- native apps
- etc.

We already have issues with the current xinha editor when it comes to publishing content over json/xml/atom feeds.
I think the new editor should allow as much "freedom" as possible for the user and store data that is rendering-agnostic. So it's OK to give the user a html-5/etc look and feel, but the content should not be stored in one of the frontend formats.

Regards,

Wouter
Wouter Danes
Engineer - Hippo / Tridion / Java
Competence Manager Java - Hippo - Alfresco

Hinttech B.V.
Delftechpark 37i
2628 XJ Delft
www.hinttech.nl

E: [hidden email]
M: +31 6 1158 8264

Are the biggest players. Both can be used under the LGPL license as
far as I can see.
Even though I like the concept of the new HTML5 editors, I'm not sure
if we should proceed to an HTML5 editor. Not all of our customers have
an up to date browser, which might introduce problems.

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 10:51 AM, Arje Cahn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On May 17, 2012, at 12:35 AM, Gerrit Berkouwer wrote:
>
>> [...] but it does not bring joy ..
>
> I agree! Let's do something about it.
>
>> What would be the options to do something about this situation? Anyone using
>> another HTML editor in Hippo CMS? Any leads to follow? Or would this be a
>> project, aiming to replace Xinha for something else?
>
> Here are my thoughts.
>
> We initially chose for Xinha because it was functionally complete, and because it has a Hippo-and-Apache-friendly license (BSD).
> Nowadays, there are a lot more options to chose from, and I think we should consider them.
>
> I do have some personal wishes though:
>
> 1 - Proper support for Table editing. This seems to be the killer functionality for WYSIWYG editors. It's apparently incredibly difficult to support proper table editing in a web browser, and some editors seem to completely ignore the issue because it's just too hard to do. For example, YUI simply doesn't have it (last time I checked). Table editing is the first functionality you should try out when testing a new WYSIWYG editor!
> 2 - (a certain level of) support for WCAG [1] and ATAG [2] - and of course Webrichtlijnen [3] (note the first name listed on [4] :) )
> 3 - License: either an Apache compatible license (ASL, BSD, ..), or one that we can safely offer as part of a plugin (for example LGPL, but no GPL)
> 4 - Pluggability: must be possible to hook in Hippo's Link and Image pickers, and must have a proper API so we can integrate it well
> 5 - Browser support: must function well on IE8 and up, Firefox 8.0+, Safari 5+, Chrome 15+ (basically, the browsers Hippo supports)
>
> I hope this helps hunting the ideal WYSIWYG editor ! :)
>

> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG/
> [2] http://www.w3.org/WAI/intro/atag.php
> [3] http://versie2.webrichtlijnen.nl/
> [4] http://versie2.webrichtlijnen.nl/norm/20110701/
>

> Regards,
>
> Arjé Cahn
>
> CTO, Hippo
> [hidden email] / [hidden email]
> twitter.com/#!/arjecahn

Twitter:  www.twitter.com/jreijn

Re: Xinha HTML editor end-of-life?

jettro
I would like to add multi-lingual spelling check to the requirements.

Re: Xinha HTML editor end-of-life?

Adolfo Benedetti
How about a real wysiwyg experience with a HTML5 embedded editor(with
html5 authoring capabilities) into the channel manager (not iframe)
just like Aloha editor[1] does in this[2] demo with Wordpress?

[1]http://aloha-editor.org/ License: AGPLv3
[2]http://aloha-editor.org/demos/wordpress-demo/

2012/5/21 jettro <[hidden email]>:
> I would like to add multi-lingual spelling check to the requirements.

Re: Xinha HTML editor end-of-life?

Wouter and Jeroen, I would not be interested in a 'html5 look and feel', mainly because I am convinced that as such that does not exist :-) But thats a whole different discussion...:-). I do want a sublime user interface offcourse! A WYSIWYM interface, What You See Is What You Mean!

HTML5 introduces new but also changed elements/tags and attributes, see www.w3.org/TR/html5-diff/

A content editor should be able to use (some of) those, right? For example, the U tag has a different meaning in HTML4 than in HTML5. So, when implementing a CMS you have to know which output you serve where. If the content editor works for a website channel, which uses HTML5, he should have access to other tags than when the site uses XHTML. This should be a SIMPLE setting in the editor. Chosen by development. The editor should check for compliant code and help the content editor with good semantics.

Offcourse it would be very good to store data rendering agnostic. Could these ideas be combined?

Gerrit

Op 21 mei 2012 om 11:51 heeft Wouter Danes <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:

> [...]
>> 4 - Pluggability: must be possible to hook in Hippo's Link and Image pickers, and must have a proper API so we can integrate it well
>> 5 - Browser support: must function well on IE8 and up, Firefox 8.0+, Safari 5+, Chrome 15+ (basically, the browsers Hippo supports)
>>
>> I hope this helps hunting the ideal WYSIWYG editor ! :)
>>

>> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG/
>> [2] http://www.w3.org/WAI/intro/atag.php
>> [3] http://versie2.webrichtlijnen.nl/
>> [4] http://versie2.webrichtlijnen.nl/norm/20110701/
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Arjé Cahn
>>
>> CTO, Hippo
>> [hidden email] / [hidden email]
>> twitter.com/#!/arjecahn
>>
>> Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam
>> Boston - 1 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142

Michal Szymczak
This post was updated on .
Hi Gerrit,

I agree with your idea of how HTML editor in a CMS should work. If one requires to store a non-html data why would she try to use a HTML editor to input it?
In our former Hippo project we used a custom document type if we needed to store data that we needed to be presented in several ways.

However, in our new project we need to have a CMS that is integrated with HTML 5 compliant HTML editor. Xinha obviously is far from that and we may have to choose a different CMS. Xinha simply "destroys" HTML 5 content.
Do you plan to fix it? When?

Kind regards,
Michal

Gerrit Berkouwer wrote
[..]
HTML5 introduces new but also changed elements/tags and attributes, see www.w3.org/TR/html5-diff/

A content editor should be able to use (some of) those, right? For example, the U tag has a different meaning in HTML4 than in HTML5. So, when implementing a CMS you have to know which output you serve where. If the content editor works for a website channel, which uses HTML5, he should have access to other tags than when the site uses XHTML. This should be a SIMPLE setting in the editor. Chosen by development. The editor should check for compliant code and help the content editor with good semantics.

Offcourse it would be very good to store data rendering agnostic. Could these ideas be combined?

Re: Xinha HTML editor end-of-life?

Gerrit Berkouwer
Michal,

Why would Xinha destroy HTML5, what do you mean by that? We also use Xinha with HTML5 for rijksoverheid.nl and as far as I know we do not have that problem.

At the moment replacing Xinha is not on top of our priority list. Not because we do not need it, but because it is not a simple project...:-(.
 I wish it was, then I would do it immediately. Xinha cripples Hippo CMS in my opinion...

Re: Xinha HTML editor end-of-life?

Michal Szymczak
Hi Gerrit,

My colleague Sławek will explain what we failed to get to with Xinha. I'm optimistic about finding a solution with Hippo CMS.

Thanks,
Michal

Re: Xinha HTML editor end-of-life?

Matthijs Tolkamp
Michal Szymczak wrote
Hi Gerrit,

My colleague Sławek will explain what we failed to get to with Xinha. I'm optimistic about finding a solution with Hippo CMS.

Thanks,
Michal
We use the Jsoup html5 parser to parse the hippoHtml from Xinha into html5 (this is at Gerrit's project).

We use an AbstractBean extending HippoDocument which has an overriden getHippoHtml function which just parses that hippoHtml into Html5 using the jsoup parser. We havent run into any html5 validation problems as of yet.

See http://jsoup.org/

Hope that can help you out.

Cheers
Matthijs

Re: Xinha HTML editor end-of-life?

Ard
On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 8:50 AM, Matthijs Tolkamp
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Michal Szymczak wrote
>> Hi Gerrit,
>>
>> My colleague Sławek will explain what we failed to get to with Xinha. I'm
>> optimistic about finding a solution with Hippo CMS.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Michal
>
> We use the Jsoup html5 parser to parse the hippoHtml from Xinha into html5
> (this is at Gerrit's project).
>
> We use an AbstractBean extending HippoDocument which has an overriden
> getHippoHtml function which just parses that hippoHtml into Html5 using the
> jsoup parser. We havent run into any html5 validation problems as of yet.

Sounds like something that we could integrate into our stack isn't?
Did you need to touch many places?

Regards Ard

> See http://jsoup.org/
>
> Hope that can help you out.
>
> Cheers
> Matthijs

Re: Xinha HTML editor end-of-life?

Wouter Danes-2
Best place imo would be to put it in the hippo:html tag and have an environment/channel property that lets the html tag switch between XHTML and HTML5.

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 8:50 AM, Matthijs Tolkamp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Michal Szymczak wrote
>> Hi Gerrit,
>>
>> My colleague Sławek will explain what we failed to get to with Xinha.
>> I'm optimistic about finding a solution with Hippo CMS.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Michal
>
> We use the Jsoup html5 parser to parse the hippoHtml from Xinha into
> html5 (this is at Gerrit's project).
>
> We use an AbstractBean extending HippoDocument which has an overriden
> getHippoHtml function which just parses that hippoHtml into Html5
> using the jsoup parser. We havent run into any html5 validation problems as of yet.

Sounds like something that we could integrate into our stack isn't?
Did you need to touch many places?

Regards Ard

> See http://jsoup.org/
>
> Hope that can help you out.
>
> Cheers
> Matthijs

Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam Boston - 1 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142

Re: Xinha HTML editor end-of-life?

Ard
On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 11:57 AM, Wouter Danes
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Best place imo would be to put it in the hippo:html tag and have an environment/channel property that lets the html tag switch between XHTML and HTML5.

Seems great to me. Cms needs no changes regarding xinha?

Can you create an hst issue and apply a patch if it is not too much work?

Thanks in advance,

Regards Ard

I'll have a look together with Matthijs, it was on my list of "things to talk about with Ard".. Would a mount property be the right way to go?

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 11:57 AM, Wouter Danes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Best place imo would be to put it in the hippo:html tag and have an environment/channel property that lets the html tag switch between XHTML and HTML5.

Seems great to me. Cms needs no changes regarding xinha?

Can you create an hst issue and apply a patch if it is not too much work?

Thanks in advance,

Regards Ard

CMS needs no changes indd. We need "one way" to save free text content. For now it's XHTML.
The frontend should be responsible for rendering stuff in the right way. Be it HTML5, XHTML, JSON, XML, etc..

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 1:25 PM, Wouter Danes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'll have a look together with Matthijs, it was on my list of "things to talk about with Ard".. Would a mount property be the right way to go?

Why not just as an attr on the hst:html like you have now? Or do you
prefer to specify it once for an entire mount? Might be interesting as
well

Ard

Attribute would mean you can't use the same template for multiple channels and it'd be a pain to "refactor" your whole site to HTML5 from XHTML.

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 1:25 PM, Wouter Danes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'll have a look together with Matthijs, it was on my list of "things to talk about with Ard".. Would a mount property be the right way to go?

Why not just as an attr on the hst:html like you have now? Or do you prefer to specify it once for an entire mount? Might be interesting as well

Ard

slawek

we use RichEdtor to serve parts of HTML code to external system and we want to insert in HTML code tags from HTML5, but Xinha remove them from code.

Is it also possible to turn off checking  by Xinha not allowed classes in div or span tags?
We need to add different classes to div and span elements, but we can't (don't want ) to add them in cleaner configuration.
Kind regards,
Slawek
12