compressing PNG images

Laurens Leeuwis

Dear mailinglist,

Today one of our editors uploaded a PNG image into the CMS. After cropping the image (to a smaller image dimension), the filesize enlarged!

I found that a compression and optimize parameter could be set in the galleryProcessorService, which does its trick for e.g. JPEG images. It doesn't work for PNG's however.

Looking further into the code, I found that com.sun.imageio.plugins.png.PNGImageWriter is used on default to write the PNG images, which gives false for its method canWriteCompressed().

My questions:

- are there other ImageWriters available which can compress PNG's (any experiences? which are good/bad/etc?)

- any plans to put another one in the CMS package?

Regards,

Laurens

Re: compressing PNG images

Frank van Lankvelt

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 5:07 PM, Leeuwis, Laurens <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear mailinglist,

Today one of our editors uploaded a PNG image into the CMS. After cropping the image (to a smaller image dimension), the filesize enlarged!

I found that a compression and optimize parameter could be set in the galleryProcessorService, which does its trick for e.g. JPEG images. It doesn't work for PNG's however.

Looking further into the code, I found that com.sun.imageio.plugins.png.PNGImageWriter is used on default to write the PNG images, which gives false for its method canWriteCompressed().

My questions:

- are there other ImageWriters available which can compress PNG's (any experiences? which are good/bad/etc?)

- any plans to put another one in the CMS package?

there are no plans to include another one.  But if you find another one, I'll gladly consider it.

Cheers, Frank

Regards,

Laurens

Re: compressing PNG images

Gerrit Berkouwer
Frank, why are there no plans? Not supporting PNG can become a rather big problem in the foreseeable future. PNG is the preferred format for popular content like infographics. We are going to ban the use of GIF and replace that with PNG as open standard.

Is there a underlying reason that this is not high on the wishlist?

Re: compressing PNG images

Bert Leunis
Hi Gerrit,

Thanks for your remarks. I think you make a very valid point here. I don't think there are any underlying reasons for not having plans for improving, other than that there are many other priorities that grab our attention. Quite a pity that the com.sun.imageio.plugins.png.PNGImageWriter does not support writeCompressed. If you can suggest a class/package/artifact that does have this feature, we would be much obliged, as Frank already said...

Bert Leunis

-----