file upload limit 7.4 (tomcat + mysql)

Johannes Maas

Hi all

We are having an issue with file uploads. When we upload a ‘large’ file (> 1 MB)  it ends up as 0 bytes in the cms, I see extraction/or xml parse errors in the log files (depending on the file type ;). This only happens on production (hippo CMS 7.4 on Tomcat with MySQL 5). We’ve set the max packet size in mysql and added the ‘upload-limit’ as described on this page http://www.onehippo.org/cms7/documentation/upgrading/7.3+to+7.4/update-CMS-web.xml.html

Any suggestion are most welcome

Met vriendelijke groet,

Johannes Maas

TDC Lighthouse

Bosschuur D'Ouwe Kamp

Woudenbergseweg 41

3711 AA Austerlitz

The Netherlands

Tel +31 343 475444

http://www.tdclighthouse.com

Re: file upload limit 7.4 (tomcat + mysql)

Mickaël Tricot
Hi Johannes,

Just an idea that you can quickly check: Tomcat also has an upload limit
that you can tweak. See the attribute "maxPostSize"
(http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/http.html).

Regards,

Mickaël

On 11/30/2010 09:46 AM, Johannes Maas wrote:

> Hi all
>
> We are having an issue with file uploads. When we upload a 'large' file
> (>  1 MB)  it ends up as 0 bytes in the cms, I see extraction/or xml
> parse errors in the log files (depending on the file type ;). This only
> happens on production (hippo CMS 7.4 on Tomcat with MySQL 5). We've set
> the max packet size in mysql and added the 'upload-limit' as described
> on this page
> http://www.onehippo.org/cms7/documentation/upgrading/7.3+to+7.4/update-C
> MS-web.xml.html
>
> Any suggestion are most welcome
>
> Met vriendelijke groet,
>
> Johannes Maas

RE: file upload limit 7.4 (tomcat + mysql)

Johannes Maas

Hi Mickael,

Thanks for your reply, I’ve tried it but this doesn’t seem to solve our problem. I’ll keep on looking.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Johannes Maas

TDC Lighthouse

Bosschuur D'Ouwe Kamp

Woudenbergseweg 41

3711 AA Austerlitz

The Netherlands

Tel +31 343 475444

http://www.tdclighthouse.com

Just an idea that you can quickly check: Tomcat also has an upload limit
that you can tweak. See the attribute "maxPostSize"
(http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/http.html).

Regards,

Mickaël

On 11/30/2010 09:46 AM, Johannes Maas wrote:

> Hi all
>
> We are having an issue with file uploads. When we upload a 'large' file
> (>  1 MB)  it ends up as 0 bytes in the cms, I see extraction/or xml
> parse errors in the log files (depending on the file type ;). This only
> happens on production (hippo CMS 7.4 on Tomcat with MySQL 5). We've set
> the max packet size in mysql and added the 'upload-limit' as described
> on this page
> http://www.onehippo.org/cms7/documentation/upgrading/7.3+to+7.4/update-C
> MS-web.xml.html
>
> Any suggestion are most welcome
>
> Met vriendelijke groet,
>
> Johannes Maas

RE: file upload limit 7.4 (tomcat + mysql)

joop.vriend
Hi Johannes,

Did you solve your problem? If so, please share your solution.

We are experiencing the same problem with CMS 7.3 (and Tomcat 6 and MySQL 5). In a development environment (virtually the same "setup") it works and in a production environment the same document (a PDF file) gives errors.

Actually, in the production environment some PDF documents larger than 1MB work and some not!! It seems to have to do with which application created the PDF. Only saving a particular document with Acrobat Professional causes it to be uploaded correctly, whilst the original gives PDF parse errors:

2010-12-23 11:02:26  org.apache.jackrabbit.extractor.PdfTextExtractor extractText  (PdfTextExtractor.java:91)
  WARN: Failed to extract PDF text content
Caller+0 at org.apache.jackrabbit.extractor.PdfTextExtractor.extractText(PdfTextExtractor.java:91)
Caller+1 at org.apache.jackrabbit.extractor.CompositeTextExtractor.extractText(CompositeTextExtractor.java:90)
Caller+2 at org.apache.jackrabbit.core.query.lucene.JackrabbitTextExtractor.extractText(JackrabbitTextExtractor.java:195)
Caller+3 at org.apache.jackrabbit.core.query.lucene.NodeIndexer.addBinaryValue(NodeIndexer.java:419)
Caller+4 at org.hippoecm.repository.query.lucene.ServicingNodeIndexer.createDoc(ServicingNodeIndexer.java:187)
java.io.IOException: Error: Header is corrupt ''
        at org.pdfbox.pdfparser.PDFParser.parse(PDFParser.java:143)
        at org.apache.jackrabbit.extractor.PdfTextExtractor.extractText(PdfTextExtractor.java:69)
        at org.apache.jackrabbit.extractor.CompositeTextExtractor.extractText(CompositeTextExtractor.java:90)
        at org.apache.jackrabbit.core.query.lucene.JackrabbitTextExtractor.extractText(JackrabbitTextExtractor.java:195)
        at org.apache.jackrabbit.core.query.lucene.NodeIndexer.addBinaryValue(NodeIndexer.java:419)
        at org.hippoecm.repository.query.lucene.ServicingNodeIndexer.createDoc(ServicingNodeIndexer.java:187)
        at org.hippoecm.repository.query.lucene.ServicingSearchIndex.createDocument(ServicingSearchIndex.java:213)
        at org.hippoecm.repository.query.lucene.ServicingSearchIndex.aggregateDescendants(ServicingSearchIndex.java:305)
        at org.hippoecm.repository.query.lucene.ServicingSearchIndex.createDocument(ServicingSearchIndex.java:222)
        at org.hippoecm.repository.query.lucene.ServicingSearchIndex.createDocument(ServicingSearchIndex.java:194)
        at org.apache.jackrabbit.core.query.lucene.SearchIndex$2.next(SearchIndex.java:557)
        at org.apache.jackrabbit.core.query.lucene.MultiIndex.update(MultiIndex.java:437)
        at org.apache.jackrabbit.core.query.lucene.SearchIndex.updateNodes(SearchIndex.java:541)
        at org.hippoecm.repository.query.lucene.ServicingSearchIndex.updateNodes(ServicingSearchIndex.java:184)
        at org.apache.jackrabbit.core.SearchManager.onEvent(SearchManager.java:502)
        at org.apache.jackrabbit.core.observation.EventConsumer.consumeEvents(EventConsumer.java:243)

Kind regards, Joop.

PS: the Tomcat attribute "maxPostSize" has nothing to do with file uploads. See for example:
http://old.nabble.com/The-purpose-of-maxPostSize-td28425586.html
or
http://threebit.net/mail-archive/tomcat-users/msg00904.html

RE: file upload limit 7.4 (tomcat + mysql)

Johannes Maas

Hi Joop,

Well, we did not solve the problem. The issue ended up in jira and we all did some tests. It seems that the problem just wend away from our production environment. I find this scary, I always like to know what was happening.

I’ve also discussed the issue with Wilson form iProfs, they had the same thing in one of their projects, I’ve asked for their solution, the answer was the same “it solved over time”…

The code to replicate the issue was send to Hippo, when I get some feedback I’ll share it with you.

Fyi:

In our case we had problems with pdf files too, but also with (valid) xml files. I think the error you see is misleading (I had the same thing), at first I thought we just had to upgrade pdf box, but apparently the real problem is that the PDF file is already corrupt, then pdf box starts to parse the corrupt file, resulting in the error you see.

Can you also keep me posted if you get any results?

@Hippo support, maybe it would be good to reopen my jira issue end run the stuff I’ve added there so we get insight in this issue. Is there some periodic recovery running on the repository or something that could explain the sudden self fixing behavior we’ve noted.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Johannes Maas

TDC Lighthouse

Bosschuur D'Ouwe Kamp

Woudenbergseweg 41

3711 AA Austerlitz

The Netherlands

Tel +31 343 475444

http://www.tdclighthouse.com

[...]

View message @ http://hippo.2275632.n2.nabble.com/file-upload-limit-7-4-tomcat-mysql-tp5787413p5915653.html
To start a new topic under Hippo CMS 7, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Hippo CMS 7, click here.

RE: file upload limit 7.4 (tomcat + mysql)

b.vanderschans@onehippo.com
Hi Joop,

I think your pdf upload issue is unrelated to the max upload size
issue. The CMS tries to extract the text from the pdf (with pdfbox),
but apparently it fails to parse your pdf.

Regards,
Bart

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 7:39 PM, joop.vriend <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>        at
> org.apache.jackrabbit.core.query.lucene.SearchIndex$2.next(SearchIndex.java:557)
>        at
> org.apache.jackrabbit.core.query.lucene.MultiIndex.update(MultiIndex.java:437)
>        at
> org.apache.jackrabbit.core.query.lucene.SearchIndex.updateNodes(SearchIndex.java:541)
>        at
> org.hippoecm.repository.query.lucene.ServicingSearchIndex.updateNodes(ServicingSearchIndex.java:184)
>        at org.apache.jackrabbit.core.SearchManager.onEvent(SearchManager.java:502)
>        at
> org.apache.jackrabbit.core.observation.EventConsumer.consumeEvents(EventConsumer.java:243)
>
> Kind regards, Joop.
>
> PS: the Tomcat attribute "maxPostSize" has nothing to do with file uploads.

USA  • San Francisco  755 Baywood Drive  •  Petaluma CA. 94954 •  +1
(877) 414 4776
Canada    •   Montréal  5369 Boulevard St-Laurent #430 •  Montréal QC
H2T 1S5  •  +1 (707) 658-4535

RE: file upload limit 7.4 (tomcat + mysql)

b.vanderschans@onehippo.com
Hi Johannes, Joop,

Do you also have problems with large uploads which get parsed (for
example with pdfbox) correctly? We run all are production systems on
linux + Tomcat 6 + MySQL 5.1/5.5 (InnoDB) and don't have problems with
uploads. So my guess it's either content related or some configuration
setting somewhere in the stack.

Do you have an example file? Can you try it in
http://cms.demo.onehippo.com/ ? What error do you see in the logs?

Regards.
Bart