is the view document in live environment option missing in cms 7.7?

is the view document in live environment option missing in cms 7.7?

Bert Leunis
Hello Hippos,

Since the introduction of the channel manager in cms 7.7, the functionality of the View button in the cms has changed. Instead of the options to view a document in Live or Preview environment [1], you can now view a document in all channels it appears in [2]. The state of the document in all channels is that of the preview version of that document. It seems that the option to go directly from the document in the cms to that same document in the live site has disappeared. Is that true? I think my customer will experience that as a loss of functionality. Is there a way to keep that functionality in?

Thanks,
Bert

Re: is the view document in live environment option missing in cms 7.7?

Bas van Leeuwen
Please note that the option to go directly to documents is vital for
certain usecases where documents are only reachable by URL (i.e. not
using the site navigation).

Bas

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 11:43 AM, Bert Leunis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Hippos,
>
> Since the introduction of the channel manager in cms 7.7, the functionality
> of the View button in the cms has changed. Instead of the options to view a
> document in Live or Preview environment [1], you can now view a document in
> all channels it appears in [2]. The state of the document in all channels is
> that of the preview version of that document. It seems that the option to go
> directly from the document in the cms to that same document in the live site
> has disappeared. Is that true? I think my customer will experience that as a
> loss of functionality. Is there a way to keep that functionality in?

I think we kind of lost that feature. Indeed, we should bring it back
in, good point.

Not sure if we want to include it again in the same way it used to be.

Regards ard

> Thanks,
> Bert
>

> [1] https://wiki.onehippo.com/display/CMS7/View+a+document+in+the+preview+and+live+environment
> [2]  https://wiki.onehippo.com/display/CMS7/View+a+document+in+a+channel

Re: is the view document in live environment option missing in cms 7.7?

Arje Cahn-2
I felt the old 'view in preview' and 'view in live' dropdown was causing confusion now that the preview would become an integral part of the new channel manager. So I asked the r&d guys to default to preview always from within the chanman, and remove any references to live and preview - except for the chanman overview.

I'm open to any suggestions on how we can put the 'view in live' functionality back in though. As long as it adds to the chanman vision.

In short, don't blame the hackers but blame me :)

On Mar 1, 2012, at 11:44, Bert Leunis <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Arje

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 11:43 AM, Bert Leunis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Hippos,
>
> Since the introduction of the channel manager in cms 7.7, the functionality
> of the View button in the cms has changed. Instead of the options to view a
> document in Live or Preview environment [1], you can now view a document in
> all channels it appears in [2]. The state of the document in all channels is
> that of the preview version of that document. It seems that the option to go
> directly from the document in the cms to that same document in the live site
> has disappeared. Is that true? I think my customer will experience that as a
> loss of functionality. Is there a way to keep that functionality in?
>
> Thanks,
> Bert
>

> [1] https://wiki.onehippo.com/display/CMS7/View+a+document+in+the+preview+and+live+environment
> [2]  https://wiki.onehippo.com/display/CMS7/View+a+document+in+a+channel

Re: is the view document in live environment option missing in cms 7.7?

Bas van Leeuwen
I agree that the menu was confusing, especially since it hid the
preview options if there was no unpublished version.

I've thought a bit about it and have written down some options, I
actually only like one:
- Give the preview a view-in-live button, in the channel-manager
menu-bar (where the edit template button is, but separated as this is
about a single document and not a template).

Some bad options I can think of to restore the functionality:

- Two menus: one for view-in-live and one for view-in-preview. All
channels have a preview (right?) so this should work in that case, but
it might be as confusing (or even more so) as the original solution.
- A menu with a view-in-live and view-in-preview part. This is very
ugly and breaks the menu-metaphor.

WDYT?

Bas

On 3 March 2012 08:16, Arje Cahn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I felt the old 'view in preview' and 'view in live' dropdown was
> causing confusion now that the preview would become an integral part
> of the new channel manager. So I asked the r&d guys to default to
> preview always from within the chanman, and remove any references to
> live and preview - except for the chanman overview.
>
> I'm open to any suggestions on how we can put the 'view in live'
> functionality back in though. As long as it adds to the chanman
> vision.
>
> Don't blame the hackers but blame me :)
>
> Arje
>
> On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 11:43 AM, Bert Leunis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello Hippos,
>>
>> Since the introduction of the channel manager in cms 7.7, the functionality
>> of the View button in the cms has changed. Instead of the options to view a
>> document in Live or Preview environment [1], you can now view a document in
>> all channels it appears in [2]. The state of the document in all channels is
>> that of the preview version of that document. It seems that the option to go
>> directly from the document in the cms to that same document in the live site
>> has disappeared. Is that true? I think my customer will experience that as a
>> loss of functionality. Is there a way to keep that functionality in?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bert
>>

>> [1] https://wiki.onehippo.com/display/CMS7/View+a+document+in+the+preview+and+live+environment
>> [2]  https://wiki.onehippo.com/display/CMS7/View+a+document+in+a+channel

Re: is the view document in live environment option missing in cms 7.7?

marijan milicevic
On 03/04/2012 08:05 PM, Bas van Leeuwen wrote:

> I agree that the menu was confusing, especially since it hid the
> preview options if there was no unpublished version.
>
> I've thought a bit about it and have written down some options, I
> actually only like one:
> - Give the preview a view-in-live button, in the channel-manager
> menu-bar (where the edit template button is, but separated as this is
> about a single document and not a template).
>
> Some bad options I can think of to restore the functionality:
>
> - Two menus: one for view-in-live and one for view-in-preview. All
> channels have a preview (right?) so this should work in that case, but
> it might be as confusing (or even more so) as the original solution.
> - A menu with a view-in-live and view-in-preview part. This is very
> ugly and breaks the menu-metaphor.
>
> WDYT?
why menus...these are quite often used items and should be visible at
all times...
imho, one click should be enough to view your document.
cheers
marijan

> Bas
>

> On 3 March 2012 08:16, Arje Cahn<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> I felt the old 'view in preview' and 'view in live' dropdown was
>> causing confusion now that the preview would become an integral part
>> of the new channel manager. So I asked the r&d guys to default to
>> preview always from within the chanman, and remove any references to
>> live and preview - except for the chanman overview.
>>
>> I'm open to any suggestions on how we can put the 'view in live'
>> functionality back in though. As long as it adds to the chanman
>> vision.
>>
>> Don't blame the hackers but blame me :)
>>
>> Arje
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 11:43 AM, Bert Leunis<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>> Hello Hippos,
>>>
>>> Since the introduction of the channel manager in cms 7.7, the functionality
>>> of the View button in the cms has changed. Instead of the options to view a
>>> document in Live or Preview environment [1], you can now view a document in
>>> all channels it appears in [2]. The state of the document in all channels is
>>> that of the preview version of that document. It seems that the option to go
>>> directly from the document in the cms to that same document in the live site
>>> has disappeared. Is that true? I think my customer will experience that as a
>>> loss of functionality. Is there a way to keep that functionality in?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Bert
>>>

>>> [1] https://wiki.onehippo.com/display/CMS7/View+a+document+in+the+preview+and+live+environment
>>> [2]  https://wiki.onehippo.com/display/CMS7/View+a+document+in+a+channel

Re: is the view document in live environment option missing in cms 7.7?

Bert Leunis
> I agree that the menu was confusing, especially since it hid the
> preview options if there was no unpublished version.
Yes, that is the problem with more options in that menu. For example: moving a document to another folder is not possible when a document is published. The move option disappears from the 'Document' menu and only appears again when you unpublish that document. I think the option should stay, but show 'greyed out'. That way you can see you are at the right place, and moving a document is actually an option in hippo cms, but you cannot use that function at that time. The tooltip could explain that even: "Only unpublished documents can be moved".

Bert Leunis

On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 8:05 PM, Bas van Leeuwen <[hidden email]> wrote:
I agree that the menu was confusing, especially since it hid the
preview options if there was no unpublished version.

I've thought a bit about it and have written down some options, I
actually only like one:
- Give the preview a view-in-live button, in the channel-manager
menu-bar (where the edit template button is, but separated as this is
about a single document and not a template).

Some bad options I can think of to restore the functionality:

- Two menus: one for view-in-live and one for view-in-preview. All
channels have a preview (right?) so this should work in that case, but
it might be as confusing (or even more so) as the original solution.
- A menu with a view-in-live and view-in-preview part. This is very
ugly and breaks the menu-metaphor.

WDYT?

Bas

On 3 March 2012 08:16, Arje Cahn <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I felt the old 'view in preview' and 'view in live' dropdown was
> causing confusion now that the preview would become an integral part
> of the new channel manager. So I asked the r&d guys to default to
> preview always from within the chanman, and remove any references to
> live and preview - except for the chanman overview.
>
> I'm open to any suggestions on how we can put the 'view in live'
> functionality back in though. As long as it adds to the chanman
> vision.
>
> Don't blame the hackers but blame me :)
>
> Arje
>
> On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 11:43 AM, Bert Leunis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello Hippos,
>>
>> Since the introduction of the channel manager in cms 7.7, the functionality
>> of the View button in the cms has changed. Instead of the options to view a
>> document in Live or Preview environment [1], you can now view a document in
>> all channels it appears in [2]. The state of the document in all channels is
>> that of the preview version of that document. It seems that the option to go
>> directly from the document in the cms to that same document in the live site
>> has disappeared. Is that true? I think my customer will experience that as a
>> loss of functionality. Is there a way to keep that functionality in?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bert
>>

>> [1] https://wiki.onehippo.com/display/CMS7/View+a+document+in+the+preview+and+live+environment
>> [2]  https://wiki.onehippo.com/display/CMS7/View+a+document+in+a+channel

Re: is the view document in live environment option missing in cms 7.7?

Bert Leunis
> I'm open to any suggestions on how we can put the 'view in live'
> functionality back in though. As long as it adds to the chanman
> vision.
I'm not sure what you mean here. From the cms document to a preview of it in the channel manager makes sense to me. (The old way of previewing must be still available though, people are used to it.) But editors that want to check how their content looks currently to the website visitors, must be able to go to the live website directly from the cms document too. Why would you want to have a live view inside the channel manager?

BTW: I'm not blaming anyone for anything, just trying to find things out.

Bert Leunis

On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 8:16 AM, Arje Cahn <[hidden email]> wrote:
I felt the old 'view in preview' and 'view in live' dropdown was
causing confusion now that the preview would become an integral part
of the new channel manager. So I asked the r&d guys to default to
preview always from within the chanman, and remove any references to
live and preview - except for the chanman overview.

I'm open to any suggestions on how we can put the 'view in live'
functionality back in though. As long as it adds to the chanman
vision.

Don't blame the hackers but blame me :)

Arje

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 11:43 AM, Bert Leunis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello Hippos,
>
> Since the introduction of the channel manager in cms 7.7, the functionality
> of the View button in the cms has changed. Instead of the options to view a
> document in Live or Preview environment [1], you can now view a document in
> all channels it appears in [2]. The state of the document in all channels is
> that of the preview version of that document. It seems that the option to go
> directly from the document in the cms to that same document in the live site
> has disappeared. Is that true? I think my customer will experience that as a
> loss of functionality. Is there a way to keep that functionality in?
>
> Thanks,
> Bert
>

> [1] https://wiki.onehippo.com/display/CMS7/View+a+document+in+the+preview+and+live+environment
> [2]  https://wiki.onehippo.com/display/CMS7/View+a+document+in+a+channel

Re: is the view document in live environment option missing in cms 7.7?

Mathijs den Burger
On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 11:31 PM, marijan milicevic
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> why menus...these are quite often used items and should be visible at all
> times... imho, one click should be enough to view your document.

A document can be visible in multiple channels. One button 'view live'
therefore does not suffice, since it is not clear which
environment/channel you want to see.

Two menus like 'View' and 'Preview', both with a list of channels,
would fit best in the current UI. However, it's pretty ugly.

A single button in the channel manager 'View live' could work, but an
editor then first has to click 'View', click the channel name to
switch the perspective to the channel manager, locate the new 'View
live' button in there, click it, and get a new window (or not?) to
view the live document. That's a long annoying click path compared to
the old View menu.

Maybe we need a 'View' option above the document editor with a more
fancy UI component behind it than a simple drop-down list with
channels. For example, one that shows a list of channels with two
options per channel: 'preview' and 'view live'.

-Mathijs

On Mar 5, 2012, at 9:45 AM, Bert Leunis wrote:

> I'm open to any suggestions on how we can put the 'view in live'
> functionality back in though. As long as it adds to the chanman
> vision.
I'm not sure what you mean here.

Here's what I think we should do with the "View" dropdown... To be in line with the Channel Manager vision...:

From the cms document to a preview of it in the channel manager makes sense to me. (The old way of previewing must be still available though, people are used to it.) But editors that want to check how their content looks currently to the website visitors, must be able to go to the live website directly from the cms document too. Why would you want to have a live view inside the channel manager?

BTW: I'm not blaming anyone for anything, just trying to find things out.

Bert Leunis

On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 8:16 AM, Arje Cahn <[hidden email]> wrote:
I felt the old 'view in preview' and 'view in live' dropdown was
causing confusion now that the preview would become an integral part
of the new channel manager. So I asked the r&d guys to default to
preview always from within the chanman, and remove any references to
live and preview - except for the chanman overview.

I'm open to any suggestions on how we can put the 'view in live'
functionality back in though. As long as it adds to the chanman
vision.

Don't blame the hackers but blame me :)

Arje

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 11:43 AM, Bert Leunis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello Hippos,
>
> Since the introduction of the channel manager in cms 7.7, the functionality
> of the View button in the cms has changed. Instead of the options to view a
> document in Live or Preview environment [1], you can now view a document in
> all channels it appears in [2]. The state of the document in all channels is
> that of the preview version of that document. It seems that the option to go
> directly from the document in the cms to that same document in the live site
> has disappeared. Is that true? I think my customer will experience that as a
> loss of functionality. Is there a way to keep that functionality in?
>
> Thanks,
> Bert
>

> [1] https://wiki.onehippo.com/display/CMS7/View+a+document+in+the+preview+and+live+environment
> [2]  https://wiki.onehippo.com/display/CMS7/View+a+document+in+a+channel

Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam
Boston - 1 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 12:50 PM, Arje Cahn <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mar 5, 2012, at 9:45 AM, Bert Leunis wrote:

> I'm open to any suggestions on how we can put the 'view in live'
> functionality back in though. As long as it adds to the chanman
> vision.
I'm not sure what you mean here.

Here's what I think we should do with the "View" dropdown... To be in line with the Channel Manager vision...:

So what would happen when I click "Dutch Website"?

a) I switch to the channel manager and see the preview version of "Bio & Chemical Expo" in the Dutch Website inside the CMS
b) a new window is opened and I see the live version of "Bio & Chemical Expo" in the Dutch Website
c) a menu is shown with the options "View preview" and "View live"; clicking them results in a) and b), respectively
d) something else

Mathijs

From the cms document to a preview of it in the channel manager makes sense to me. (The old way of previewing must be still available though, people are used to it.) But editors that want to check how their content looks currently to the website visitors, must be able to go to the live website directly from the cms document too. Why would you want to have a live view inside the channel manager?

BTW: I'm not blaming anyone for anything, just trying to find things out.

Bert Leunis

On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 8:16 AM, Arje Cahn <[hidden email]> wrote:
I felt the old 'view in preview' and 'view in live' dropdown was
causing confusion now that the preview would become an integral part
of the new channel manager. So I asked the r&d guys to default to
preview always from within the chanman, and remove any references to
live and preview - except for the chanman overview.

I'm open to any suggestions on how we can put the 'view in live'
functionality back in though. As long as it adds to the chanman
vision.

Don't blame the hackers but blame me :)

Arje

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 11:43 AM, Bert Leunis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello Hippos,
>
> Since the introduction of the channel manager in cms 7.7, the functionality
> of the View button in the cms has changed. Instead of the options to view a
> document in Live or Preview environment [1], you can now view a document in
> all channels it appears in [2]. The state of the document in all channels is
> that of the preview version of that document. It seems that the option to go
> directly from the document in the cms to that same document in the live site
> has disappeared. Is that true? I think my customer will experience that as a
> loss of functionality. Is there a way to keep that functionality in?
>
> Thanks,
> Bert
>

> [1] https://wiki.onehippo.com/display/CMS7/View+a+document+in+the+preview+and+live+environment
> [2]  https://wiki.onehippo.com/display/CMS7/View+a+document+in+a+channel

Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam
Boston - 1 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142

US <a href="tel:%2B1%20877%20414%204776" value="+18774144776" target="_blank">+1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
Europe <a href="tel:%2B31%280%2920%20522%204466" value="+31205224466" target="_blank">+31(0)20 522 4466

Re: is the view document in live environment option missing in cms 7.7?

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 12:50 PM, Arje Cahn <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mar 5, 2012, at 9:45 AM, Bert Leunis wrote:

> I'm open to any suggestions on how we can put the 'view in live'
> functionality back in though. As long as it adds to the chanman
> vision.
I'm not sure what you mean here.

Here's what I think we should do with the "View" dropdown... To be in line with the Channel Manager vision...:

Still the 'live' link is missing. Personally I also think it is a waste of space, this extra bar : most customers will just have one channel for one document, so will see a bar with just one channel.

Regards Ard

From the cms document to a preview of it in the channel manager makes sense to me. (The old way of previewing must be still available though, people are used to it.) But editors that want to check how their content looks currently to the website visitors, must be able to go to the live website directly from the cms document too. Why would you want to have a live view inside the channel manager?