issues with RSS plugin

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

issues with RSS plugin

ec@hippo
Hi all,

I'm trying to get the RSS generator plugin to work on 7.8. The plugin makes use of a few obsoleted getQueryManager() calls, which I replaced with getQueryManager(request) and some this.queryManager in the Component themselves, which I replaced with similar get calls.

Now the plugin compiles and installs correctly, but it still fails to generate a feed, causing the following statement:

INFO  - HippoAccessManager         - DENIED read : /content/documents/onehippoenglish/about/news/2012/12/hippo-introduces-relevance-module-content-context-and-customer-in-harmony/brokenlinks:link

After a bit of hassling with the debugger, I pinned down a call to the canRead(NodeID) of the HAM, and it appears to be using the "config" user.

How come it's not using the siteuser? And even so, why is the access denied?


Best,
Edoardo

--
Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam
Boston - 1 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142

US +1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
Europe +31(0)20 522 4466
http://www.onehippo.com/

_______________________________________________
Hippo-cms7-user mailing list and forums
http://www.onehippo.org/cms7/support/forums.html
Ard
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: issues with RSS plugin

Ard
On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 4:57 PM, Edoardo Causarano
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to get the RSS generator plugin to work on 7.8. The plugin makes
> use of a few obsoleted getQueryManager() calls, which I replaced with
> getQueryManager(request) and some this.queryManager in the Component
> themselves, which I replaced with similar get calls.
>
> Now the plugin compiles and installs correctly, but it still fails to
> generate a feed, causing the following statement:
>
> INFO  - HippoAccessManager         - DENIED read :
> /content/documents/onehippoenglish/about/news/2012/12/hippo-introduces-relevance-module-content-context-and-customer-in-harmony/brokenlinks:link
>
> After a bit of hassling with the debugger, I pinned down a call to the
> canRead(NodeID) of the HAM, and it appears to be using the "config" user.
>
> How come it's not using the siteuser? And even so, why is the access denied?

a siteuser has nothing todo with brokenlinks:link so no read access
needed afaik.

I have no clue why you think that a INFO message in the
HippoAccessManager about that some user cannot read brokenlinks has
anything to do with a failing RSS plugin...

I do agree that the RSS plugin should use the live or preview user, no
idea why it uses the hst config user

Regards Ard

>
>
> Best,
> Edoardo
>
> --
> Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam
> Boston - 1 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142
>
> US +1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
> Europe +31(0)20 522 4466
> http://www.onehippo.com/
>
> _______________________________________________
> Hippo-cms7-user mailing list and forums
> http://www.onehippo.org/cms7/support/forums.html



--
Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam
Boston - 1 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142

US +1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
Europe +31(0)20 522 4466
www.onehippo.com
_______________________________________________
Hippo-cms7-user mailing list and forums
http://www.onehippo.org/cms7/support/forums.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: issues with RSS plugin

ec@hippo

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 5:08 PM, Ard Schrijvers <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have no clue why you think that a INFO message in the
HippoAccessManager about that some user cannot read brokenlinks has
anything to do with a failing RSS plugin...

Hi Ard,

I assume it is related since it systematically breaks on the canRead() multiple times every time I try to load the feed URL, so I thought that the blank page was simply due to bad permissions. 

But the problem was elsewhere: a missing jsp template definition.

On a side note, is there some documentation on how the HAM works? It seems that every access triggers a multitude of checks, with different roles as well; what is driving this process?


Best,
Edoardo 


--
Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam
Boston - 1 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142

US <a href="tel:%2B1%20877%20414%204776" value="+18774144776" target="_blank">+1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
Europe <a href="tel:%2B31%280%2920%20522%204466" value="+31205224466" target="_blank">+31(0)20 522 4466
http://www.onehippo.com/

_______________________________________________
Hippo-cms7-user mailing list and forums
http://www.onehippo.org/cms7/support/forums.html
Ard
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: issues with RSS plugin

Ard


Op 11 mrt. 2013 18:23 schreef "Edoardo Causarano" <[hidden email]> het volgende:
>
>
> On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 5:08 PM, Ard Schrijvers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I have no clue why you think that a INFO message in the
>> HippoAccessManager about that some user cannot read brokenlinks has
>> anything to do with a failing RSS plugin...
>
>
> Hi Ard,
>
> I assume it is related since it systematically breaks on the canRead() multiple times every time I try to load the feed URL, so I thought that the blank page was simply due to bad permissions. 
>
> But the problem was elsewhere: a missing jsp template definition.

So you set the access manager to info log level and suspected brokenlinks before sorting out something more directly related like a missing jsp?

>
> On a side note, is there some documentation on how the HAM works? It seems that every access triggers a multitude of checks, with different roles as well; what is driving this process?
>

Every node needs to be granted access. Most likely you see different roles because different (background) threads (also repo threads) are running using jcr nodes

>
> Best,
> Edoardo 
>
>
> --
> Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam
> Boston - 1 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142
>
> US +1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
> Europe +31(0)20 522 4466
> http://www.onehippo.com/
>
> _______________________________________________
> Hippo-cms7-user mailing list and forums
> http://www.onehippo.org/cms7/support/forums.html


_______________________________________________
Hippo-cms7-user mailing list and forums
http://www.onehippo.org/cms7/support/forums.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: issues with RSS plugin

Jeroen Hoffman
In reply to this post by ec@hippo


On 11-03-13 16:57, Edoardo Causarano wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to get the RSS generator plugin to work on 7.8. The plugin makes use
> of a few obsoleted getQueryManager() calls, which I replaced with
> getQueryManager(request) and some this.queryManager in the Component themselves,
> which I replaced with similar get calls.

Good stuff, you're welcome to commit and build a RSS plugin release for 7.8.

Also, as RSS plugin is quite old, with the current product we have better ways
to generate the feed instead of with a Hst component and jsp that writes XML.
Options are a pipeline, a site map item handler, or REST. All could use Apache
Rome library.

Are you up to writing one of the above and maybe contributing to the plugin?

Jeroen

_______________________________________________
Hippo-cms7-user mailing list and forums
http://www.onehippo.org/cms7/support/forums.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: issues with RSS plugin

Laurens Leeuwis
I've used Apache Rome myself to build an RSS feed, and I'm not a big fan.
The latest version is at least 4 years old AFAIK, and I saw some System.out.println's in the code which bloats our logs.

________________________________________
Van: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] namens Jeroen Hoffman [[hidden email]]
Verzonden: dinsdag 12 maart 2013 10:10
To: [hidden email]
Onderwerp: Re: [Hippo-cms7-user] issues with RSS plugin

On 11-03-13 16:57, Edoardo Causarano wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to get the RSS generator plugin to work on 7.8. The plugin makes use
> of a few obsoleted getQueryManager() calls, which I replaced with
> getQueryManager(request) and some this.queryManager in the Component themselves,
> which I replaced with similar get calls.

Good stuff, you're welcome to commit and build a RSS plugin release for 7.8.

Also, as RSS plugin is quite old, with the current product we have better ways
to generate the feed instead of with a Hst component and jsp that writes XML.
Options are a pipeline, a site map item handler, or REST. All could use Apache
Rome library.

Are you up to writing one of the above and maybe contributing to the plugin?

Jeroen

_______________________________________________
Hippo-cms7-user mailing list and forums
http://www.onehippo.org/cms7/support/forums.html
This message contains information that may be privileged or confidential and is the property of the Capgemini Group. It is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute, or use this message or any part thereof. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this message.

_______________________________________________
Hippo-cms7-user mailing list and forums
http://www.onehippo.org/cms7/support/forums.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: issues with RSS plugin

ec@hippo
In reply to this post by Ard
Hi Ard,

I usually run the project from within the IDE and it so happens that the log4j configuration doesn't filter statements as much as it does when running it with cargo. So no, I didn't explicitly set or suspected anything, I just followed the logging trail and noticed the Access Manager permission denial.

It seems that the component doesn't log the missing template condition (at least not as far as I can see), would it be a good idea to add a logging statement to do so?

About the HAM breakpoints with different userId values, I looked more closely and indeed they belong to different Tomcat http exec threads.


Best,
Edoardo 


On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 6:41 PM, Ard Schrijvers <[hidden email]> wrote:


Op 11 mrt. 2013 18:23 schreef "Edoardo Causarano" <[hidden email]> het volgende:


>
>
> On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 5:08 PM, Ard Schrijvers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I have no clue why you think that a INFO message in the
>> HippoAccessManager about that some user cannot read brokenlinks has
>> anything to do with a failing RSS plugin...
>
>
> Hi Ard,
>
> I assume it is related since it systematically breaks on the canRead() multiple times every time I try to load the feed URL, so I thought that the blank page was simply due to bad permissions. 
>
> But the problem was elsewhere: a missing jsp template definition.

So you set the access manager to info log level and suspected brokenlinks before sorting out something more directly related like a missing jsp?

>
> On a side note, is there some documentation on how the HAM works? It seems that every access triggers a multitude of checks, with different roles as well; what is driving this process?
>

Every node needs to be granted access. Most likely you see different roles because different (background) threads (also repo threads) are running using jcr nodes

>
> Best,
> Edoardo 
>
>
> --
> Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam
> Boston - 1 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142
>
> US <a href="tel:%2B1%20877%20414%204776" value="+18774144776" target="_blank">+1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
> Europe <a href="tel:%2B31%280%2920%20522%204466" value="+31205224466" target="_blank">+31(0)20 522 4466
> http://www.onehippo.com/
>
> _______________________________________________
> Hippo-cms7-user mailing list and forums
> http://www.onehippo.org/cms7/support/forums.html


_______________________________________________
Hippo-cms7-user mailing list and forums
http://www.onehippo.org/cms7/support/forums.html



--
Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam
Boston - 1 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142

US <a href="tel:%2B1%20877%20414%204776" value="+18774144776" target="_blank">+1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
Europe <a href="tel:%2B31%280%2920%20522%204466" value="+31205224466" target="_blank">+31(0)20 522 4466
http://www.onehippo.com/

_______________________________________________
Hippo-cms7-user mailing list and forums
http://www.onehippo.org/cms7/support/forums.html
Ard
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: issues with RSS plugin

Ard
On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 10:56 AM, Edoardo Causarano
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Ard,
>
> I usually run the project from within the IDE and it so happens that the
> log4j configuration doesn't filter statements as much as it does when
> running it with cargo. So no, I didn't explicitly set or suspected anything,
> I just followed the logging trail and noticed the Access Manager permission
> denial.
>
> It seems that the component doesn't log the missing template condition (at
> least not as far as I can see), would it be a good idea to add a logging
> statement to do so?

Are you sure about this? I can't imagine this does not get logged.
Could it be you were looking at cms log instead of site log?

Regards Ard

>
> About the HAM breakpoints with different userId values, I looked more
> closely and indeed they belong to different Tomcat http exec threads.
>
>
> Best,
> Edoardo
>
>
> On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 6:41 PM, Ard Schrijvers <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>>
>> Op 11 mrt. 2013 18:23 schreef "Edoardo Causarano"
>> <[hidden email]> het volgende:
>>
>>
>> >
>> >
>> > On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 5:08 PM, Ard Schrijvers
>> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >>
>> >> I have no clue why you think that a INFO message in the
>> >> HippoAccessManager about that some user cannot read brokenlinks has
>> >> anything to do with a failing RSS plugin...
>> >
>> >
>> > Hi Ard,
>> >
>> > I assume it is related since it systematically breaks on the canRead()
>> > multiple times every time I try to load the feed URL, so I thought that the
>> > blank page was simply due to bad permissions.
>> >
>> > But the problem was elsewhere: a missing jsp template definition.
>>
>> So you set the access manager to info log level and suspected brokenlinks
>> before sorting out something more directly related like a missing jsp?
>>
>> >
>> > On a side note, is there some documentation on how the HAM works? It
>> > seems that every access triggers a multitude of checks, with different roles
>> > as well; what is driving this process?
>> >
>>
>> Every node needs to be granted access. Most likely you see different roles
>> because different (background) threads (also repo threads) are running using
>> jcr nodes
>>
>> >
>> > Best,
>> > Edoardo
>> >
>> >
>> > --
>> > Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam
>> > Boston - 1 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142
>> >
>> > US +1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
>> > Europe +31(0)20 522 4466
>> > http://www.onehippo.com/
>> >
>> > _______________________________________________
>> > Hippo-cms7-user mailing list and forums
>> > http://www.onehippo.org/cms7/support/forums.html
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Hippo-cms7-user mailing list and forums
>> http://www.onehippo.org/cms7/support/forums.html
>
>
>
>
> --
> Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam
> Boston - 1 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142
>
> US +1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
> Europe +31(0)20 522 4466
> http://www.onehippo.com/
>
> _______________________________________________
> Hippo-cms7-user mailing list and forums
> http://www.onehippo.org/cms7/support/forums.html



--
Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam
Boston - 1 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142

US +1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
Europe +31(0)20 522 4466
www.onehippo.com
_______________________________________________
Hippo-cms7-user mailing list and forums
http://www.onehippo.org/cms7/support/forums.html